iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

does it make me a cheater to buy lumber? haha!

Started by yukon cornelius, December 04, 2013, 06:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

well our cabin is coming along pretty well. I wanted to mill all the lumber in it from the trees from my land, but my Christmas deadline (goal) and bad weather coming caused me to buy plywood subfloor, plywood sheathing, and 2x6 rafters. our local lumber yard has been amazing!! the equipment rental, (gave me 4 free days of excavator and rock hammer rental). free delivery on everything. one time they just brought a truck with our concrete on it and left it with the keys and told me to call when we were done with it. they set us up an account that gives us about 40% on everything and more on other things. the prices were already matching the big box stores over an hour away. the owner took us to his store room full of windows and doors and told us to name the price basically. 3x5' double hung windows with screens for under $100, a full glass prehung exterior door with integrated grids for $100!! they seem to have quite an interest in their customers. so with snow coming tomorrow (3-5 inches) , yesterday we decided to just buy outside sheathing and rafters. I was almost out of logs to mill. $8 for a 2x6 16'!!! I couldn't resist!! yesterday it was delivered and the wife and I put up the 2 big cedar ridge post and ridge beam upstairs. a neighbor came by and helped and we cut out all the rafters and put up half of the rafters and about a third of the roof sheathing! I will post some pics when the snow hits and im forced indoors!

THE LORD HAS BLESSED ME TREMENDESSLY!!!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

chickenchaser

Yukon - it might make you a cheater...but with a deal like that, I would consider you a SMART cheater.  :D

CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

beenthere

Sounds like our local lumber yard with delivery, good quality materials, and discount (10% if paid within 30 days).
But the other good things do sound like they are getting rid of inventory and either getting out of the business or seriously reducing certain lines of products.

I patronize our local yard even when I know the price could be beat at the box stores. I want our local yard to stay in business and they can't do that giving things away to me.

Don't see you as a cheater at all, but if so then you are a smart one.  ;D
Hope it is done for Christmas. smiley_thumbsup
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dboyt

You're still supporting a local business and who knows?  Maybe one of these days you'll be providing them with flooring and trim to sell.  Sounds like the start of a beautiful relationship.  The fact that you're getting a good deal is icing on the cake.  I pay more to shop at a locally owned hardware store, just because I like the folks there and want to see them stay in business.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Dad2FourWI

I think that sounds like a smart move!!! - but I do know what you mean about feeling like a "cheater"!!! :) :)

We are rooting for you on our Christmas deadline!!!

Keep the pics coming!

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

wormy

Higgins

Quote from: chickenchaser on December 04, 2013, 07:57:34 AM
Yukon - it might make you a cheater...but with a deal like that, I would consider you a SMART cheater.  :D

CC

x2

Can't sit in judgement when you got a deal like that!

redbeard

Plus know one will ever know. The material you purchased will all be covered up with your milled wood soon enough. Getting Cabin all shelled in is your highest priority. You did good.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

yukon cornelius

we were happy to get the lumber from them. we do like to support local mom and pop stores. I don't feel like a cheater! the mill has already paid for itself and a bit more with just the other framing we have done. there is still a lot of other wood to cut for it. buying the lumber allowed us to get all the rafters, ridge beam and roof sheathing on in 2 days. that may not be  a lot for a crew but those 2 days it was just me, a 70 year old neighbor and my 13 year old son. now maybe I can finish the tar paper today before snow starts today. oh yeah and I still have to sheet the exterior walls. its a little drafty with just studs.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

ely

you sir are most definitely a cheater, but at least you aint gonna be 3 years building your house. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!