iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Extending engine life

Started by D._Frederick, October 08, 2006, 07:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

I have half a dozen 2 cycle engines which do a lot of work for me. With a cost from $375 to $750 I am concerned how to keep them from destroying themselves  starting with: wrong type of fuel (having alcohol present), fuel caps not working, hoses cracking,  seals leaking , carburetor plugged-up or not adjusted correctly.

Should a person have them serviced every year and have the hoses replaced and seals pressure tested and the carburetor rebuilt?   This would help the engine life, but would it be cost effective?     

oldsaw

Gross overkill, especially with the plastics today.  I've replaced the fuel lines in both of my Homies, but only the 150's was really bad, I just  bought for both at the parts store.  Also replaced the fuel line on the Wards then too...it had pretty much rotted clean off.  We are talking about saws that are 30-40+ years old...and technology has changed.

Make it 5-10 years on fuel lines, run synthetic oil, alcohol free gas, keep them in a temperature stable environment to minimize condensation.  That's a start.  I've never had a problem with a two stroke engine, so I must be doing something right...and I just switched to synthetic.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

D._Frederick

My local Stihl dealer charges about $80 per hr., should I invest in gauges and a tach and try to keep these engines running or throw them in a corner and buy new ones everly couple years?

Should a person keep the old engines running rather than switching to the new EPA required design?

Tom

You're in the wrong business.  You need to go to stihl mechanics school. :D :D

twoodward15

Let's say you spend $500 on a piece of equipment.  Every year you get the hoses changed, the carb rebuilt, seals checked and a general tune up.  I'm going to assume (by the stihl price listed above) you'd spend about $150 minimum per piece per year.  Let's say that it lasts you 5 years (assuming you are using it in a professional business, ie. landscaping or the like).  You've got a $500 piece and you put $600 on top of that in maintenance.  You spent $1100 to get 5 years out of it.  You could easily do none of the maintenance you are talking about if you run good gas and oil with a stabilizer for the winter/ no use months and get at least 3 years out of it if not more.  You'd be money ahead to not put anything into them except wear and tear items and keep them out in the field where they make you money.  Keep a new back up at the shop and when one breaks, put a new one in service.  Think of all the money you'll save!!!
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

D._Frederick

I wonder if the new design for the Husqvarna 575 will give better engine life?

ComputerUser

I'm not quite sure what the worry over things lasting is.  Decent fuel, check it over periodically, run it at least every once in a while, replace worrisome parts when you notice them, and a saw will last bloody near forever.

jacob j.

If you drain your fuel and run the saw empty before putting it up for the season, then the rubber diaphragms in your carburetors and the rubber or vinyl fuel lines will last many times longer. The number one repair we do in our shop is carburetor and fuel system rebuilds. 'Modern' gasoline has so many chemicals in it now that it's really no longer gasoline. In the 50's and 60's you could let a car sit for a year and provided your battery held a charge you could jump in it and fire it right up. Nowdays you'd have to drain the rotten gas from the fuel system and flush it out and refill it to get it to start.

jjmk98k

Yeah, its a shame we need to worry about alcohol and all the other additives. Just run good fresh fuel, winterize properly and keep the machine clean and it will last a long time. Keep a eye on the spark plug condition, it will give you a good idea on the engines condition....

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Dale Hatfield

Just use them and fix what wears out or breaks.
The saws I now carve with started their life 10 years ago in the tree care/lot clearance biz. Their second half of life has been harder on them then the first.
But yet still not even a bit of trouble out of any of them.
Use good mix oil. mid grade gas,keep filters clean. Run a sharp chain.  With use they will last leave them sit and they will rot.
The other thing is  . If you use them that much.  Buy a new 575 use it for 2 -3 years trade it in/sell on ebay and you will still get better than half to a third of your money back.
No need in fretting over service that isnt needed.

Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Al_Smith

Draining the fuel is most likely the biggest thing for long term storage.The majority of saws ,weedwackers,etc.I work on for others have faulty lines or gunked up carbs.

I would also say that about 80 percent of the saws I have in my collection were abandoned because of fuel related problems.Much rarer are issues with bad seals or ignitions.

Thank You Sponsors!