iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Well, got the mill delivered

Started by Rando, April 23, 2013, 06:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rando

The new to me Quality Grizzly 30 arrived last week. Spent some time figuring out how to put the pto belt on, blade on and greasing it. I think the next time with it will be time to make sawdust. I have a landscaping/mowing business so it's rough to get free time now, but I will.
Think I'll have to make friends with bikerbob who just got a Grizzly 30 also. Pick his brain for all the adjustment stuff.
Drove by the town garage today, big pile of sugar maple logs. Might just need to talk to Brian the crew leader about them making their way over to this side of town!
I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for you all and will appreciate your advice.
I'll also see if I can get my wife to take some pictures so I can prove it does exist.

Magicman

Congrats on the mill and yup, pictures would be nice.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JimFX

Congrats on the new "baby" .... It is always fun to get a new toy.
Happy milling!

bikerbob

Be glad to help any way I can. I've had mine 7 years and most of what I know has been learned by trial and error - a lot of error!
30' Grizzly 30, Cat D4, Ford 4500 TLB, JD 820

bandmiller2

Rando, good scorce for logs,I worked for a municipality [just retired for the third time,they keep calling me back into service] the tree supervisor would call me and ask how long I want the logs when their into good stuff.You will have to be diligent and look for nails and outher hardware.Also talk to local arborest co's they get many fine logs and most commercial mills don't want yard trees.They always need lumber and no need for money to pass hands.Start off slow,be observant and carefull as most of the logs are close to a ton. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Hud-Son Forest Equipment

"There are no secrets to success. It is the results of preperation, hard work, and learning from failures"

dukndog

WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

Rando

Sawed a few pieces today. Getting used to it and enjoying it so far!
I have a mowing/tree business and know most of the other tree guys in the area so getting logs shouldn't be a problem for me.
The wife wants a fence put up to keep our 3 mastiffs where they're supposed to be. After that it's lumber for my little cabin I want to put up at our house in central NY.

bandmiller2

Where the mill goes, undocumented buildings are sure to follow. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

It will only get better and better.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al Bunyan

Hi Rando,
How is the Grizzly sawmill working out for you?

Magicman

Hello Al Bunyan, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Rando

Great mill. Heavy duty and cuts smaller length logs easy also.
A friend bought one of the smaller 24" mills and thinks it's doing a fine job for him.
The only problem is we don't use them enough!
Whatever mill you pick will be a fun and learning journey.
Enjoy.

dgdrls

Can't be  No pictures ;)

Congratulations!!
Best
DGDrls

Al Bunyan

Thank you for the welcome. I am a custom cabinet maker for over 30 years. Always wanted a sawmill since I saw the woodmizer ad in early 80's.
I think this year I will finally be getting a sawmill. I have a buyer for all the wood I cut, me! Had a friend who had a circular saw and solar kiln but he moved!
My older brother died some years back and his name was Paul. He was a big guy and would be doing the sawmill with me if still here. So I figure I
will call my sawmill operation Al Bunyan sawmill, I'm Paul's little brother!

Magicman

Nice memorial.  I think of my late Brother quite often too. 

Thank You Sponsors!