iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why I bought a sawmill in the first place

Started by SW_IOWA_SAWYER, February 20, 2007, 02:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

I built this for a logger friend of mine, it is one of two the other looks about the same but holds more guns. I am trading for some logs so I guess it works good for both of us.

I love working with walnut and it is even better using wood I cut with my mill ;)

I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

Fla._Deadheader

At's PURDY, right there.  8) How'd ya etch the glass ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

BigTrev

If at first you dont succeed, try a bigger hammer

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

DWM II

Yep, thats mighty nice. It inspires me as well. thanks for sharing.
Stewardship Counts!

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

brdmkr

That is nice.  Did you buy the glass already etched, have it etched, or etch it yourself? 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

pineywoods

Two ways to do the glass, acid etch(nasty) or diamond wheel in a die grinder.  My wife does a good bit of the latter, mostly on platters and bowls to use as gifts etc.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dana

That sure is nice, I'll trade you a few logs for one also. :D
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

Thanks for the kind words, it ain't perfect but I keep trying and that is what makes it fun.

The glass is tempered glass and the etching are decals that I had made. They look like etched glass but are way cheaper and much easier to work with. The glass guy did it for me and they can almost do any pattern and they are real easy to apply. They use them for commercial businesses that want the etched look but don't want to really etch the glass.

I traded for more then a couple of logs (well at least that is the deal we made) cherry, white oak and red oak. My friend is a great guy and has helped me out in the past so it is a win win for me.
I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

SPIKER

you can also sandblast etch glass, tempered glass works well for this BUT it takes practice to do it right and even.  needs a good constant feed of sand, a little siphon gun will do it but it will not be an EVEN pattern or dispersal.   

Need to use correct screened sand and or material that is same consistency to do this.   I did some a LONG time back on auto glass using a siphon gun screened silica sand and a funnel/metering tool I made which actually worked quite well,  used masking tape to cover the window completely then drew on the tape & cut out the etch pattern.  I was already an accomplished auto painter so keeping constant gun movement and height as well as angle to the glass was the hard part.   there was a few spots where sand didn't hit the glass at same angle or the same pressure?  those spots were lighter etch look. 

also note these were car glass quarter windows in cars. we did 10 or so cars over a couple years, (remember CHEECH & CHONG) "UP IN SMOKE" was popular back then ;)

anyhow I like the looks of the cabinet just the same!  Great Job.

MarkM
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

sawmilllawyer

;D ;D ;D; beautiful work, wish i could turn out something like that; in walnut too.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Thank You Sponsors!