iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mechanical or hydraulic winch?

Started by Satamax, October 06, 2017, 04:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

I thought it was something on my end. I'm getting no pop-up at all. I click the link and nothing happens, but copy and paste works. I went back and tried some links on older posts. Some are still working, some are not.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Satamax

I am dumb.

I bought a dog clutch from a fiat panda 4x4. While i had found a split shaft PTO.

I should have used my brain a bit more.

The guy wants 350€ for it.  I have offered 150, hopping to settle for 200 plus shipping. That would be nice. I don't really need the two side ones. But they could come in handy.  Will see what he says. The ad has been there for nearly two months.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

mike_belben

So the unit pictured on pallet is the correct bolt up part for your tcase?  Or do you need to hack it all up and fab stuff?
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Mike, thanks for your reply.

Well, i would need to make a flange or is it yoke, the word i'm looking for?  Which would replace this cross "dog clutch" May be find the part in the us. There's the whole assembly, cover, oil seal, flange, may be there is a bearing, i don't know. But if the guy sells me the thing at the price i'm looking for, i'll grab it. Only thing to make sure, if this fits in the chassis, widthwise.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

mike_belben

Americans would call the bolt circle a "mating flange" and the dog clutch most would probably consider a "shaft coupler" or coupling.  Aka a "lovejoy" which is the dominant  brand of 3 jaw couplers with a rubber spider between them.

There are also less popular spline and chain couplers
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Hi Mike. Thanks a lot for the reply.

Well, the guy selling the split shaft PTO is ok for 240€. Not bad i would say.

I have rumaged on the internet, it seems that the shaft coupler doesn't exist from Rockwell list of parts.

I'll carry on searching !

mike_belben

Bolt flange to 4 jaw is a very easy coupler to make for any machine shop.  Turn on lathe, mill jaw slots on bridgeport, drill bolt flange on dividing head or vertical indexer.  A conversational 2axis cnc mill could lay the bolt circle on in a few minutes

You want the bolts to go through the tcase flange from the back side and thread into blind holes in the metal adapter puck.  The threads will face forward like your headlights. 

The blind holes should not extend into the dogs or itll weaken them.  Nor would i drill thru holes in the dog faces for pass thru bolts.
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Hi Mike, daft me, i didn't think about this solution.

A four jaw flange. I see what you mean. Like a very thick hockey puck. Four dogs fitting in what i have. A center hole, with a longer bolt, attaching all of this together. Four,six or eight threaded holes for the shaft's flange on the back of the hockey puck . And a big oïl seal around this.

I get it. And the best thing, i can do it myself. I have lathe and milling machine.

The only problem i have is making internal splines. Which, with your idea, i don't have to do!

Thanks a lot.

mike_belben

Shoot, I didnt realize that the oil wasnt already sealed behind 4jaw coupler.. I figured it had an output shaft thru a seal then coupler slid on.  I did build a wet tube coupler once because the front input bearing on the second case needed lubrication. and it worked well, npt fill and level plugs right on top.  But it looks like the iveko was divorce mounted? 

Does that have a reverser inside?  If so id like to have about 10 of those things. 

If you ever need internal splines the easiest way is to just send that part out to a company with a wire EDM machine, so much faster than broaching or keyshaping, this cheaper.
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Thanks for your reply Mike.

Yep, it's a divorced PTO.  Or, i think more comonly called split shaft. If you look for the term on eBay and Craiglist, i'm prety sure you can find one.

I think i will find a way. May be turn the flange and slip,  and get it splined.

Satamax

See, when you look for split shaft pto. You find these.

https://www.google.fr/search?q=split+shaft+pto&dcr=0&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQ5KKY0KrYAhULLsAKHTvIDAEQ_AUIESgC&biw=360&bih=556

I went to check the muncie power site.

And their big split shaft PTO's are marked PZB pederzani and zinni, bologna. Which is the brand of the one showed above.

mike_belben

Those things are neat.  That link brings up an image of a clone of something i do have, Funk 6 speed dropbox tcase from a pettibone 20ton 4ws crane.  Its gonna go in my 8x8 forwarder project.  Im throwin in the towel once thats built.
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Hiya!

Well, after some  waiting, i received the part i bought before discovering the other one.

I might have done an assessment mistake.

I thought the conical gear was on a keyed shaft. But as it seems this is not the case. I will need to heck exploded views.

It's rather big, at more than 10 inches. And i think this will be able to power a big winch.

This ought to be strong enough to power a winch.

Thank You Sponsors!