iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawdust

Started by timberbeast, September 02, 2001, 02:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberbeast

Actually,  chips from a circle mill.  I see carloads of them going down the tracks.  Are these being sold to make panel products,  lanscape mulch,  or both?  Any idea on prices?  I heard word of mouth some local mill operator was selling his for a buck a gallon.  I find that very hard to believe.  If that was the case,  why not make the whole log into chips?  I would think they would sell by the ton????  Any idea,  anyone?
Where the heck is my axe???

Tom

I don't have a current price but chips are being created here for fuel, soil amendments and the the larger ones are used where shavings were before.  Shavings are going in the Chicken houses and a big developing market is to the hobby horse owner.

We've had some small mill owners consider the purchase of shaving mills for this very reason.

Actually chips and savings are growing lucrative markets and  most tree species are not restricted as long as they aren't poisonous to the animals.

To be in the market though, requires that you be able to produce large quantities of the stuff.

Don P

In the early 80's we were too small to interest the big market in the moulder/planer shavings we were making. They wanted a trailerload per week minimum. We were paying to haul it to the dump.  A local county agent hooked us up with grain trucks and local farmers and they went for chickens,turkeys and horse bedding.  Could usually fill one every other day and called  him when I got full and they would come empty. Even had our stuff go to the state fair, my claim to fame.  :D  When I ran cedar the rest of the crew usually packed off the shavings for their dogs. When I worked in a furniture plant we were doing the landfill thing too, to the tune of 4 semi loads of cuttings per week. They installed a hog and blower and the stuff went to kitty litter.  Contaminants and tramp metal was a big issue so we had to be very careful what went into that stream.

When I began sawing we used most around here, blueberries can take it raw and then we compost the rest, the neighborhood gets what we don't use. One note of caution, horses I've been told, can't take even a trace of cherry. We were trying to set up a trade for used bedding for fresh when I learned this(was going to drop off and pick up since the horse contribution would really heat up a pile).

I've wondered what is in the dyes that are used on decorative mulches. As they break down is there a residue?(heavy metals,or is it just iron oxide?) Not having a debarker we buy ground bark mulch at the big mill down the road for $20/ pickup load. The big issue around here is whether to buy single or double ground and the upshot is most folks buy double the first time cause its pretty but then switch to single cause it holds up better.

Basically what I've experienced at the scale I've always operated at is its normally a trade item.

Ron Wenrich

We have little problems getting rid of our residue.  Sawdust is sent to farmers for chicken litter.  We also sell some to a horse show arena.   Walnut is the big no-no for horses.  It makes them lame.  In the winter, some will go into the dairy herds.

Chips are around $25/ton, delivered.  Ours is going to a processor that makes mulch and bedding.  We have a paper plant that also takes chips.  We lost one paper mill when they converted over to Brazilian processed instead of Pennsylvania chips.

We also have a co-gen plant that will take a chip & sawdust mixture.  I believe they are around $15/ton.  Co-gen has hit the wall due to natural gas prices.  

Our bark is sold by the trailerload, right off the debarker.  $750/load, I believe.  We figure we save in ginding time and loss due to compaction and decomposition.  Also a shorter truck.

We have one plant that takes softwood pulp - tulip poplar, soft maple, etc.  They shave it and use it for bedding for chickens.  I heard they were charging $1000/truckload blown into the sheds.  It is a captive market, since they are owned by the processors.

I once had a client that would deliver shavings to pet shops.  He put shavings into 1 lb bags, and was charging 35 cents per pound - 15 years ago.  He got those prices for the aromatics - cherry, sassafras, and cedar.  

His process was to square the logs up on a small mill, then run the pieces and slabs through a small planer.  He swept the shavings up and put them in a clothes dryer.  When it started to smoke, they were done.   :D  Low tech and dangerous.

He eventually built a drum dryer which used a salamander as a heat source.  He also bought a shaver - similar to what Jackson equipment is producing.

Another option is to make wood pellets.  The local hardware is selling them for $175/ton.  Equipment to make pellets is expensive and needs volume.  Also, in my area, coal is cheaper.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

timberbeast

Thanks,  guys!!  Very informative,  as usual!!  I've tried planer shavings as mulch,  but they usually blow away,  So I put them in the dog kennel.  My mill chips I just shove out of the way, I'm not big enough to make any money on them,  from what I see.  For a couple years I was dumping them in the low spots in the skid roads........wrong answer......they just hold the moisture in and keep it wet!! :D
Where the heck is my axe???

Frank_Pender

I have been in the mill operation for about 10 years now and find that I have very little accumulation of sawdust and chips.  I cut with two Mobile Dimension Mills.  I find that some people prefer the straight sawdust, while some prefer the chips and  then, some like a mix. They usually get what I have available. I charge by the yard: 1yd. u-haul is $8.00.  If it is delivered I charge $10.00yd.  I have a F450 that has a rack sysem that allows me to haul up to 15yds., which is two units of material.  It is easily removed with a 10 ton hoist unit that dumps to a 45 degree angle.  It is slick. With the amt. of rains we are having this Fall I don't seem to have a problem in getting rid of sawdust and chips.
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!