iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

when to cut logs?

Started by sbishop, November 28, 2006, 11:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbishop

Hi, i was wondering if any of you have cut and peel your own logs? what time of year did you cut and when did you peel?

i'm in New Brunswick, Canada(i'm not that far from Maine). I have read of few articles that said that cut in the winter and peel in the spring. Some say to cut and peel in the spring!

Just wondering what you guys think!

Almost forgot, i'm using black spruce for logs!

Sbishop

Raphael

My gut instinct is start cutting in the winter as soon as the sap is down just in case the job of harvesting logs goes slower than predicted.  But I've had a lot of things go slower than predicted recently.   :D

... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

thecfarm

What are building?How many trees you need?I only ever peeled cedar.We always did this in the spring when it was salivaing,as my Dad would call it.Than it was never more than 30 trees.Sure can be a wet job.Don't step on the bark or you won't be on your feet for long.Good luck with your project.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tom

We aren't that concerned with sap here in the south.  The trees are always full of it.

There are reasons to harvest in the fall here.  It gets cooler and the bugs that attack the wood aren't as plentiful.  The cooler air also slows down the growth of fungus and mold.  The snakes are hybernating underground in a gopher or armadillo hole and stay out of the stacks of wood.  The winters cooler air is usually drier and the wood gives up its water easier, even without the sun's heat.

beenthere

Quote from: sbishop on November 28, 2006, 11:48:26 AM
........... cut and peel your own logs? what time of year did you cut and when did you peel?
......... articles that said that cut in the winter and peel in the spring. Some say to cut and peel in the spring!

Maybe what you were hearing was cut logs for sawing in the winter, when the logs store better and don't begin turning sour.  And as pointed out, better working conditions in the winter and before spring break-up.

Then, cut logs in the spring for peeling off the bark, just after the new cell growth layer (cambium) begins to divide and grow, as at that time the bark is not as tight as it is later in the summer and through the following winter.  Suspect the spruce follows this timing as well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sbishop

What i'm looking for is the best to cut so the logs are easier to peel.

If i was to cut in the winter time, come spring time would the logs peel easy?

or should I wait till spring time when the sap is running to cut and peel.

my plan is to cut a few hours in the morning, yard the logs before lunch and peel in the afternoon! oh ya..sleep at night  ;D

Sbishop

PS. Again, great site and thanks to all for help on this!

SwampDonkey

Easiest to cut in the spring if your going to peel them. But, unless you have a horse it might be messy in the woods. Going to be a pitchy mess though, and them logs are going to slide like skis. You should ask some of those old time loggers from the Mirimachi, just go to the closest Tim Hortans. ;) :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sbishop

spring time it is.....my last question I promise (today) ;D

When we are talking about spring time...are we talking about anytime after April 21...or are we talking about the temperature.

if march is above seasonal weather..can I start then? if May is freezing temperature..should I wait?

THANKS

PS. Swampdonkey....too many tims in the miramichi...HA

SwampDonkey

May

Any Tim's should do.  :D :D ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sbishop

SwanpDonkey....What are you doing in May....HAHA

beenthere

sbishop
It's when the tree starts growth, and it is different by locality and the temps night and day. That varies year to year. When the leaves burst out of the buds, or when the new needles start to emerge, or the crocus stick their heads out......that's "spring". The tree won't know when April 21 rolls around, as the weather is different in Alaska vs Florida or CR.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Quote from: sbishop on November 29, 2006, 01:39:48 PM
SwanpDonkey....What are you doing in May....HAHA

Run'n strip lines through the woods for my thinning crews.  ::)

thecfarm

My dad use to hand peel pulp when it had to be hauled to the the mill with no bark.You mentioned being close to Maine,weather must be similar.My Dad would always say late June the bark would start to stick.Than come July you would have to use a drag shaver to get the bark off.He never did much in the woods after late June.Get your spud ready.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stephen1

sbishop, if you want the logs to last the best time to cut is in the winter before new growth, there will be less fungus & mold. The peeling will be harder but not all that bad. You do not have to peel in the winter. spray the peeled logs with Borax & bleach after peeling, it also will cut down on the fungus & mold and bugs. If you are going to all the work of building with logs you might as well give it the best chances of surving for a long time. Make sure you stack the logs well off the ground with lots of room for the air to pass thru.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

SwampDonkey

When you peel the logs the sawyer beetles and buprestidae are less likely to attack the wood, Fungus and mold will attack though, so the bleach water might be a good idea. All I'de expect would be a little black/green mold for the short term feeding on that sapwood full of sugars. Seen lots of camps made from peeled logs my grandfather made for his guiding/outfitting business. Were built in the fifties and still standing and being used.  8)

pappy

Steve,

I've cut logs or even picked up blow downs (black spruce) from different times of the year...I found if blow downs left for a couple of years peeled real easy if close to the ground, you do get some bug tracks under the bark but it doesn't affect the core... The ones leaning or cut after the "sap season" had to be peeled using a draw knife, a lot of work and very hard on the body and hands, some folks do like that ax peeled look though... When cutting during the "sap" the logs will peel very easy just using a spud...  The draw back peeling at this time is the sap makes the logs turn black...  I would try doing what Stephen1 suggest...
Quote from: Stephen1 on November 30, 2006, 05:40:55 AM
spray the peeled logs with Borax & bleach after peeling, it also will cut down on the fungus & mold and bugs.

We had to clean up all the black spruce logs after being installed with a solution of 50/50 bleach and water to get the logs white again... The best way was with Scotch brite scrubby's, rubber gloves and eye protection...

July was wet that summer when we got the cross tie logs for "Outback"... The date I posted about when we got them and were still easy to peel was August 22, 2004... These trees also came from a mossy area...

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=7671.msg109528#msg109528

Wear old clothing cause it's a slimy and sticky job...  After a few days drying the bark burns real easy...  8)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

jon12345

wear gloves, have spare tools, keep some solvent handy for when you need to clean any of the above  :)
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Thank You Sponsors!