iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Burning wood

Started by chet, August 23, 2005, 09:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

It's dat time of year again, time ta make da firewood.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Tom

You missed my option.   I like to cook on it.  :D  Slabs make good steaks. ;D

chet

Start a thread about keepin' warm and we are already on ta food.  :D  But I gotta admitt a good meal in da belly does give ya dat warm feelin'.   :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Furby

SAW MILLER

I put in a furnace last year after heating totally with wood for 28 years.When it got down to 10 degees I built a fire in the stove and never let it go out till april.You just can,t beat a good wood fire for heat.I imagine with fuel prices goin crazy,a lota people might be lookin into wood heat this year.           
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

Rockn H

Well, you kind of left me out too.  We heat with wood at the camp.  We cook with wood at the camp and the trailer.  :D  Right now we heat with propane at the trailer, but are seriously thinking of putting in a wood heater.  The price of propane is getting out of hand during the winter. >:(

pasbuild

I heat my house, my shop and the kids house next door ;)  I burn LOTSof wood :o
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

brdmkr

No choice for me either.  I used to heat entirely with wood.  Now, I never heat with wood.  In the next couple years, I plan on heating with wood again.  Seems to be a love hate thing :D
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

beenthere

I voted 'totally' with wood, but I do have a gas backup that I can switch to if away for more than 8-10 hours.  I heat water and pump the water in three zones in a closed system. Worked well for going on 30 years (where did that time go  ::) ).
There is also wood heat pre-warming cold water in a 30 gal tank on its way to the domestic hot water heater (gas) but with two of us, it handles most of the hot water demand.

Heating with wood has worked out very well for me, and we really miss the wood heat warmth in the house when for some reason the gas system is heating. We can maintain a even 72° F through the winter, which can be -25° F.

Handling split wood on pallets has eliminated a lot of handling of the wood, when stacked on the pallets green from the splitter and dried min. of two years.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bull

I heat w/ wood and have an oil backup. Forced hot water. also have a fireplace. The shop is heated w/a large wood stove. thinking of adding some thermal storage. for the over nights. also may add some solar.
looking into bio fuels to replace #2 oil.

Weekend_Sawyer

I have a fireplace in the living room, woodstoves in the great room and basement. The main heat has always been oil but I hope to burn much more wood this year. Oh yea, wood stove in the shop.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Engineer

Current house has a fireplace that we use two or three times a winter, otherwise it's oil all the way, and I hate it.

New house has a Central Boiler unit with propane backup, heating 4300 sf house and hot water, also will be heating a shop and garage with it.  I have too much wood, so it's a logical use.

DonE911

I'm with Tom.... My BBQ gives my that warm feeling every time I eat some meat of'n it.

Murf

QuoteSlabs make good steaks.  ;D

I dunno 'bout dat.......

It sounds like ya' would git too much fiber in yer diet eatin' slabs disguised as steaks.  :D

An dey gots to be tough ta' chaw on .......  ::)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

GF

I am thinking about starting to heat with wood also.  I priced propane in our area (Central Okla) and it was 2.07 a gallon, no telling what its going to be this winter. 

crtreedude

DISCRIMINATION AGAINST TROPICAL PEOPLE!

Where is the option for "We don't need no stinking heat!"  :D

However, for a few years in Ithaca NY, we heated only with wood - we had backup, but we never used it. 8 cords a year if I remember correctly.

Guess what I did on weekends.

We use wood for cooking on the fincas at times and we are looking into using it for a few kilns.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

isawlogs

Forced air unit in the house and one in the shop ....   Aint noting like wood heat , I do have electric unit on top of house furnace for back up when we go away .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Part_Timer

We have geothermal heat but have a woodburner for when there is a power outage.  When It gets in the the teens and lower the geo won't keep up so we used to burn Kero.  When we bought the sawmill figured might as well quite buying the kero and use wood.  Neither of us had used wood heat before.  we like it a lot.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

ohsoloco

I heat entirely with wood.  When I bought my house last summer it only had electric heat, but was set up in the basement for a wood or coal stove  :)  Maybe I am a little stubborn  ::) but I didn't use the electric heat at all last year, even if I just needed to take the chill out of the house.  I burned about five cords last year, and have 4-5 cords ready to burn for this winter. 

My parents always used electric heat.  I gotta say I don't miss being cold one minute, then sweating ten minutes later before the thermostat kicks off  :D 

johnjbc

Been burning wood since the seventies. In the first home I had a fireplace with a Heatlator. Wasn't very efficient.
Next home had a homemade woodstove in the basement.
Where I am now I built a stone enclosure beside the fireplace for a woodstove. We ran duct work from the hot air system to distribute the heat. When it is cold I put the furnace fan control in continues mode and it circulates the heat. 
We leave the furnace on so that when the wood fire goes out the pipes don't freeze.
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

EdK

Voted for heat totally with wood.

Couldn't check the "other uses for wood in the house" box but it also is the heat source for my hot water.

This gas/oil spike will only impact the chain saw and splitter costs  8)

Woodcarver

We began burning wood in the 70's. We have propane back-up, but 99% of our heat comes from wood.  We also preheat our hot water with wood furnace. The increasing propane prices make the stack or firewood from our TSI work look reallly good.  :)
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

beenthere

Received a question about stacking split wood on pallets to dry and to move to the house.
I don't go far and I don't go fast, and so far its worked not to tie it down someway.

This is how I palletize the junk wood and limbwood, using three pallets to corral the wood. ¼"threaded rod to hold the two lightweight pallets together seems to do the trick.

The wood boiler I have used for almost 30 years, with the 30 gal hotwater pre-heat tank behind it, and the gas boiler behind in the background.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Buzz-sawyer

Nice rig beenthere 8)
Recon your winter utility is about 50 buck for electric? :o
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

beenthere

Buzz
I wish it were  :)
I think that $50 just covers the computer use.  ::) :)
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!