iDRY Vacuum Kilns

'Nother New Laptop

Started by Magicman, May 19, 2018, 08:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Maybe you should saw it.  I would suggest a 4 degree blade.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

Quote from: WDH on July 20, 2018, 07:17:50 AM
Maybe you should saw it.  I would suggest a 4 degree blade.

Or use it for a target base for the elk rifle.  ::)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

A Computer Geek is scheduled to make a home visit tomorrow.  We shall see.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

It sure is an interesting gauntlet. ::) :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I went to the Prom but I didn't dance.  Got stood up.  My date was a no show.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Reminds me of getting a Kubota backhoe fixed after 150 hrs on a new machine by the local dealer...........oh about 3 months and it still leaks oil. And Kubota has never owned up other than to send a mouth piece. Welcome to today's world. Don't mention quality and service to me. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

YellowHammer

I finally got tired of all the Windows trials and tribulations about 2 years ago and went Apple.  Love it, never will go back.  Super fast startup, lots of storage, never crashes, everything works together including phones, iPads, wireless printers, networks, etc.

Maybe its time to punt?  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

lxskllr

I switched to gnu/linux full time in 2009 after using it partially a couple years. I like not being beholden to a company, and having to ask permission to use my computer. My Dell Intel based workstation at work started life as an AMD based netbook. I swapped the drive over, and it booted no problem. I like debian when I have time to set it up, and xubuntu when I want something quick.

That said, it's a proprietary world, and you sometimes have issues when trying to run random hardware, or have to interact with organizations that haven't yet made it to the 21st century(not unironically due to proprietary software). The freedom is worth the extra work imo, and doesn't have the builtin spyware that comes with systems like Win10.

Magicman

I have no idea what is going on or why the miscommunication.  I only know what the Email that I got said.  Now they are saying: The part is shipped to the facility once a Tech is assigned he will call you to setup an appointment for service.   ::)   I have no idea what part or how they know which part??

For whatever reason the Laptop has not failed since Sunday when Windows did a BIOS upgrade.  Maybe that fixed it, but time will tell.  If it is fixed I don't want anyone doing anything.

Magicman

The traveling computer repairman showed up today with another "motherboard".  This one was replaced on the 10th at the Dell shop in Texas, so we are both thinking, "why another".  Anyway the Laptop has not failed since the BIOS update was done this past Sunday the 22nd, so the repair guy did nothing.  We shall wait and see again....again.

WDH

You should have boiled him some peanuts. 

Magicman

Funny thing, while we were talking I realized that we grew up about 3 miles apart.  He was shocked when I told him where I was from.  Small world.

Magicman

And then after 8 days, it failed again.  Bluescreen and Stopcode: Faulty hardware, corrupted page.  I called the service guy.

WDH

Southside

Lynn, you do realize that WDH is actually a computer hacker and has been messing with you all this time creating mayheam. Something to do with the "Magic Oak"..  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

lxskllr

Sounds like bad ram to me. Also sounds like a new laptop. I'm willing to play games for awhile, but enough is enough. They should send you a whole new machine. Swapping parts on a new unit is nonsense. That's the hard way to do it. That should go in the parts bin, and you should get something new. Easy and cheap.

Magicman

The service guy is coming back but we have to work out a schedule 'cause we are headed to the PR Thursday.  

I've already said "new one" but they wanted to try this first which is OK but the warranty is for a year and the time is ticking even if I get a new one.

I think that pineywoods nailed the problem and the fix.

IMERC

Quote from: lxskllr on July 30, 2018, 09:27:19 PMThat should go in the parts bin,

WTB that's where the parts are coming from for the repairs...
other basket cases..
I'd go for a full refund plus a T&T comp then go find a Toshiba unit...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

pineywoods

similar problem I ran into on a different computer...Some hard drives are firmware driven, the disk bios is written on a reserved track, it is subject to getting clobbered just like the cpu bios. Only fix is replacement.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Texas Ranger

In  my experience, never Dell.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

The computer guy just called.  He will be here about 1:00 tomorrow....again.

Magicman

The computer guy came and spent about 3 hours inside of the Laptop. 

First it had to be disassembled.

Then new stuff put in.

And then put back together.  Only had one screw leftover.  ;D

It got a new "motherboard" and a new "hard drive" and then Win10 had to be installed.  I will have to install Firefox plus gather all of my bookmarks so it will now wait until after the PR.  I was very pleased with the repair technician.

Thankfully I have two laptops

SwampDonkey

Might as well brought a new laptop along with him. :D

Magicman

::)  I wonder if this thing has been hacked because all of my spam is in Russian......

So now it's time to install Firefox and add all of my favorites.  Then the favorites can be imported to Edge.  This process can take hours but hopefully it will be fixed....finally....again....again.