iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain saw with stripped out bolt

Started by Stacywhetzell, January 01, 2024, 02:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stacywhetzell

I have a variety of mostly stihl chain saws.

My fav is an 066 with any length bar on it

However, one of the two studs that bar fots over and then you tighten the nuts - has stripped out

I used gorrilla glue, but would not hold.

I hate to but the whole housing just because a bolt thread is stripped out

Any ideas on how i can repair this

Thanks all
Stacy whetzell

doc henderson

to glue it it must be strong and temp proof.  prob. a two-part epoxy or liquid steel type of product.  or tap oversize and put a Heli coil in.  Is this in aluminum??  jb weld and other brands.    some are considered high heat.  the real fixer upper guys may chime in soon.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

DHansen

A company called Proline makes oversized bar mount studs.  In 10mm and 12mm based on model application.  A threaded insert line Time-Sert is also a good option.  I am assuming the threads in the case are damaged or pulled out.  Are the stud threads damaged?  Proline list oversized studs for the MS660.  I have used Time-Sert thread repair kits for years and on chainsaws.  They work for a good long-term repair.  Make sure you drill straight and tap straight.  I used lock tight products for the treads that threads into the case.  I did an Echo last summer were the case was plastic.  The tread lock product is specific for plastic verses metal. Best of luck on your repair.

hedgerow

I have Heil- coiled several over the years never had a issue after a coil was installed. Had a guy give me a nice 041 years ago that had a bar stud pulled out of the case. I Heil-coiled it and gave the saw to a buddy and he is still using it today.

hotshot

Quote from: Stacywhetzell on January 01, 2024, 02:44:36 PM

However, one of the two studs that bar fots over and then you tighten the nuts - has stripped out

Thanks all
Stacy whetzell
Drill & tap for the Stihl OEM Oversized Bar Stud, 1115-664-2405

Arcticmiller

Thanks all
Stacy whetzell

Personally I'd have a machine shop install a time-sert over helicoil. They are a bit more stout.

Arcticmiller

Quote from: hotshot on January 04, 2024, 04:31:25 PM

Thanks all
Stacy whetzell
Drill & tap for the Stihl OEM Oversized Bar Stud, 1115-664-2405

I didn't know this option existed, that sounds like the best all-round solution

jb616

I fixed my 025 with jb weld. Its been going on 2 years now.  I got a new stud, cleaned the hole out real good with brake cleaner,  let it dry, and jb welded it in.  Some models do have oversized studs available.  The flange on the stud tightens to the back of the bar so it just needs to stay in place, not necessarily to have perfect threads.

doc henderson

I agree with that.  the problem is the force of tightening the bar prob. striped it in the first place, so that force will depend a lot on the adhesive.  it needs to be temp. resistant.  Sounds like it worked well.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!