iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jumper Cables - Good, heavy, reasonably priced?

Started by btulloh, July 05, 2019, 12:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

Hmmmmm. Hmmmmmmmmm.

I kinda thought they'd been through vigorous usage and testing at Magicman World Headquarters. Glad I asked.

Thanks for the update.
HM126

lxskllr

The sketchiest jumper 'cables' I ever used was two pieces of rebar. Held another battery up, and bridged the terminals with rebar. Heavy duty and cheap  :^P

DelawhereJoe

1000 amp jumper cables..... @MagicMan are you trying to jump your Caterpillar D11 again, so you can level out your flower beds ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Peter Drouin

For me when It comes to tools. I try to get the best I can. They last forever and only have to get them one time. 
Get what you pay for most times. But that's just me. Good luck.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Al_Smith

I have two or three sets made from #2 welding cables ,20 feet long .The cables were salvaged , the heavy duty clamps from flea bay .I also have  a set made from 4 conductor # 6 cable ,two conductors in parallel each . I probably have enough cable  and clamps to make 4 or 5 more sets < junk yard dawg ya know  ;D

lxskllr

Quote from: Al_Smith on July 06, 2019, 07:30:24 AM
I have two or three sets made from #2 welding cables ,20 feet long .The cables were salvaged , the heavy duty clamps from flea bay .I also have  a set made from 4 conductor # 6 cable ,two conductors in parallel each . I probably have enough cable  and clamps to make 4 or 5 more sets < junk yard dawg ya know  ;D
Sounds like a sales opportunity. I've recently heard there's a buyer looking  ;^)

Al_Smith

Let me interject a thought here .Be very careful on a jump start .I've had two batteries explode on me .Make the first connection on the dead battery and the last to disconnect to avoid a spark .Dang dead battery can really gas up with hydrogen and turn itself into a bomb . :o 

btulloh

Good discussion.  Thanks for all the replies.

All things considered, I'm going to make a tour of the auto parts stores today since it's too hot to do much.  They are all on a stretch of road within 2 miles of each other, so I can hit all six or seven without much trouble.  I think it will be better to see and touch them, although I'd be comfortable buying some that had been used and validated by somebody here.  I don't really want another project right now and there's something out there that's good enough for my purpose.  I'll know when I see them.
HM126

beav

That's kind of expensive for aluminum cables

beav

Woops....disregard my previous post. You already noticed

Magicman

That plus I did not find "copper-clad aluminum (CCA) conductors" anywhere in the product description.  It was only mentioned in a review.  :-\  That also explains the heavy gauge and heavy amp rating.

Using 100% copper in the search finds the "good stuff".  I guess that you get what you ask for, or maybe what you don't ask for.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

Quote from: Al_Smith on July 06, 2019, 07:38:07 AM
Let me interject a thought here .Be very careful on a jump start .I've had two batteries explode on me .Make the first connection on the dead battery and the last to disconnect to avoid a spark .Dang dead battery can really gas up with hydrogen and turn itself into a bomb . :o

True dat. Hopefully most people know that. Probably not the younger generation though.

Gassing usually shows up on your positive post connection pretty quick. Space fungus. Good sign something has gone too long without attention.
HM126

luap

x3 on welding cable, make your own. Quality clamps with strong springs, color coded came from Car quest. I keep mine as separate cables-easier to coil up and store.

btulloh

For high quality cables, welding cable looks to be the way to go.  I have a couple 50+ footers I picked up for almost nothing at little roadside flea market a few years ago.  20 - 25 ft is the sweet spot for my needs.  I'll pick up some good clamps when the opportunity comes along.  For me, separate cables will be a good thing.  Or I'll tape 'em together.  It's now on the list, but I'll be moving forward for now with something else.  

HM126

Bandmill Bandit

I used 2 inch pieces heavy duty shrink tube installed BEFORE you attach the clamps on the welding cable. I put one every 12 inches on 24 foot cables. It works well and I have had those cables for about 20 years.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

tule peak timber

My beloved 40 year old cables. Trim wire from a project on SSN 688.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

terrifictimbersllc

I have 2/0 cables, 25 ft long, with welding disconnects to hook to 2-3' leads on the battery under the hood.  I keep the cables coiled separately under the back seat of the truck.  Put welding clamps on the ends of the long cables. These welding ground clamps are not the best for grabbing battery posts not to mention they're not insulated. 

I've jumped big backhoes and loaders for customers who are a bit skeptical at first when I offer. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Al_Smith

SSN 688 aye .We took a tour of the Oklahoma City the first reunion  of the Sea Devil SSN 664,in Norfolk  my qual boat .

tule peak timber

Needless to say , I won't ever be replacing those cables!  I also worked on the Puffer in that time period. Cheers !
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

scsmith42

Quote from: tule peak timber on July 06, 2019, 08:29:05 PM
Needless to say , I won't ever be replacing those cables!  I also worked on the Puffer in that time period. Cheers !
Very cool history on your cables Rob!  
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!