iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which sawmill to buy?

Started by MSURRATT, December 13, 2009, 11:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSURRATT

I'm new to this forum, thanks ahead for any help that I get! I have a log home on 12 wooded acres and I would like to build a  post & beam carport, work building etc. to match my house. So i will be cutting 8"x8" ,5"x7" etc. to match the house. I have mostly red & white oak on my land. So my question is "what portable sawmill do i buy? I think the only dealer within 150 miles is a wood-miser I am in N.C. I have thought of a Turner,TimberKing but I'm a little worried about buying from out of state. I'm trying to stay under $7000.00.
Thanks again,
Mark

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!

Look at several models/makes before just jumping in!
Some will have options that others don't.
You can do a lot of comparison shoping right on the internet.
Good luck to you!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

A swingmill might be the way to go sawing a lot of beams. It should make them nice and square and the thicker kerf wouldn't matter as much.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

fishpharmer

Welcome to FF.  You have come to the right place with your question.  I cannot really offer a good answer about which mill to buy.  I built mine.  Dealer support is important but i don't know if being in state is reason to buy a mill.  Especially if your not making a living from the machine.  I would say if you are a member of forestry forum thats about the best support you can get for any mill.  New or used.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

bandmiller2

Mark welcome,for a mill I would suggest a Mizer lt-15 mainly for the ease of extensions and moderate cost.Your big problem will be the handling of large, heavy logs, and timbers.You didn't say what you had for equipment.Give alot of thought to where you locate the mill,make it easy to roll logs on and get heavy beams off.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WDH

Yes, the LT15 with an extra bed section is right in your price range and it is a fine manual mill that has the uumph to do what you need, especially with the 25 HP engine.

There are other mills that will work just as well, so look at all the options.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

TimJr

I bought a LT 15 about 4 months ago. The only problems I have ran into are the big logs. Woodmizers customer support is great. I went with the 15 horse kohler and have had no problems. I mostly cut cedar, but have cut hickory.
Live each day like it's your last. Your never promised tomorrow.

Magicman

First, Welcome to FF.... 8)

I would not let the dealer/manufacturer's location affect my decision on which mill to buy.  All mills are reliable, very trouble free, and easily repaired.  There's really not much to go wrong.  Once properly adjusted, they'll do the job for you.

And BTW, no matter which mill you choose, read the manuals and become very familiar with all of the adjustments and what they do.  Do not be afraid or reluctant to ask questions, and tweak adjustments as necessary.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MSURRATT

Thanks for the quick response,
I do have a tractor and i have a concrete pad 24'x24' that I thought I could use until i build a open carport that i could also use as a place to mill. I have been looking on the internet and so far i am looking hard at the Turner, wood-mizer , norwood and timberking.
Does anyone have any feedback on any of these. Tha Turner looks as if you get alot for the money.
Thanks again

Dodgy Loner

I'm sure there are users on here who can personally vouch for any of those mills, but I can throw my name in the Wood-Mizer hat :). Dad and I got an LT-15 with the 25 HP engine and an extra bed section for around $8000 I think. That was last October. The extra bed section is a necessity (it will allow you to cut 16-foot logs), but you could forgo the 25 HP engine in favor of the 15 HP engine and stay right in your price range, and it will do everything you want it to do and then some! We went with the bigger engine specifically because we wanted more power for the wide boards (18-24"). For the cuts you'll be making, 15 HP is plenty sufficient. It is a great mill, and very reliable, relatively easy to setup. I've got no complaints!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

firefighter

I purchased a WPF model mill from PetersonPortable SawMills in New Zealand ,I did a lot off looking and in the end this was what I bought .They were great people to deal with as I am sure other mill manufactures are also . I have only use it a couple of times and it was very easy to setup .Give Aaron or Lee a call they are great guys to talk to and they will be glad to help you .Good luck in finding your new mill .

caver

I was in a similar situation last year. All manufacturers were great about sending literature,,,,,,,one is still sending me literature.  ::)
I had my mind set to buy a mill from EZ Boardwalk. A Baker HD18 showed up on Ebay and it was no more than a two hour drive away.
EZ Boardwalk has a smaller Junior mill that goes for about $3600.
This is an Amish family run business so you would have to call them and they will send you a brochure.

If you find a mill you like on paper, call the manufacturer and ask if there is one located near you. There might be one right down the road and that owner might tell you what he likes and dislikes about it.
Baker HD18

moonhill

If you are going to be timber framing look for a longer track, or build an extension, which has been done nicely here on the forum with a lt-15.  I wouldn't hesitate to push the track out to 30'-35'.  I have 75' of track and at times use all of it.  Long tracks allow you to saw a cant on one end and resaw just in front of that, you don't handle the flitches as much, or cut two logs at the same time, and of course long timber, something every custom sawyer needs.   

For the swing mill owners, are they restricted to length and are they extendable?  There is something attractive about the swing mills, worth looking into. 

Tim

This is a test, please stand by...

4genlgr

Quote from: MSURRATT on December 14, 2009, 10:49:45 AM

I do have a tractor and i have a concrete pad 24'x24' that I thought I could use until i build a open carport that i could also use as a place to mill.

i think the car is destin to be parked on the dirt for a while longer ;D

Night Raider

Take a look at Norwood, good mills and good customer service.

woodmills1

I would say if you are going for the timber frame market sooner or later you will be getting hydraulics on your mill, so resale value of the first one you buy may be an important factor.

BTW I am in the woodmizer camp
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

scsmith42

Quote from: moonhill on December 15, 2009, 06:49:37 AM

For the swing mill owners, are they restricted to length and are they extendable?  There is something attractive about the swing mills, worth looking into. 

Tim

Tim, there are no length restrictions for the Peterson Swingmills.  I have 65' of track with mine, and can mill a beam up to 58' long (although 44' is the longest that I've milled to date).

Msuratt - what part of NC are you in?  I'm about 30 miles SW of Raleigh.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

MSURRATT

Thanks for all the info. I am in Browns Summit not to far from Burlington. I'm still on the internet trying to get as much info as I can. I'm still not sure which way to go. Does anyone have any knowledge with the Turner Mills. Thanks for all the imput I am taking all of that in.
Mark

scsmith42

Quote from: MSURRATT on December 15, 2009, 09:03:48 PM
Thanks for all the info. I am in Browns Summit not to far from Burlington. I'm still on the internet trying to get as much info as I can. I'm still not sure which way to go. Does anyone have any knowledge with the Turner Mills. Thanks for all the imput I am taking all of that in.
Mark

Mark, you're only an hour away from me.  I can put you in touch with several sawmill owners in our area, including several Woodmizer owners, a Cooks MP32 owner, a Norwood owner, a Peterson owner (me), a Logmaster owner, and some others as well.  They will all be happy to demonstrate their mills for you.

Also, there are usually sawmill demo's at both the State Fair as well as the Farm show (in the spring). 

Why don't you send me a PM with your e-mail and phone info and I'll give you a call?

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!