iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air Drying on Pallet Racks

Started by Tom the Sawyer, May 28, 2017, 10:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom the Sawyer

Your thoughts are appreciated...

To conserve space around my mill area, I am planning to use pallet racking for air/pre-drying before going in the kiln.  12' tall pallet rack uprights on concrete post piers would let me store 3 or 4 lifts of lumber for each section.  I intend to put a metal shed type roof with a 2' overhang over the racks.  To prevent degrade from moisture or sunlight, I plan to hang shade cloth from the overhangs.  If anyone has done something similar, what level of shade cloth gives adequate sunlight protection and yet permits sufficient air flow?
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

scsmith42

Tom, I store lumber in my shop on 14' lengths of pallet racking and I had to add 1/4" plate to the sides of all of the horizontal supports to kerf them from bowing under the weight.

You might be ok with shorter widths but check them for sag.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Tom the Sawyer

Scott,

I considered that possibility when I was figuring this out, and I'll be watching for it.  My current pallet racking beams are 9' long and 4" tall.  My kiln is designed for lengths up to 12'6".  The widest portions of the drying racks, the beams will be 13' long and 6" tall.  Each lift should have 5-700 bf, 3-4000 lbs., (my forklift is not as beefy as yours  ;)).

I build my own stacking pallets, they are 2x6s on 16" centers, 8' and 12' long.  Each pallet would sit on its own pair of beams.  The 13' beams are only $35 each, the 9' are $20.  A drying shed isn't currently in the plans so I am hoping that the shade cloth will make for a suitable environment.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.

YellowHammer

When I air dry, I like to keep as much weight as possible on the stacks, generally 2 to 3 units of stickered wood on top of each other, providing significant weight and noticeably helping the lower stacks to stay straight, flat and compressed. 

My concern with stacking individual pallets on shelves for air drying is that you will not have any weight on top of them and will see more degrade than if you stacked them one on top of the other in the same space.

As far as shadecloth, I've never used it, but some species will need extra airflow such as fans, while others may benefit from reduced air flow, like white oak.  Each species has a different drying behavior and forgiveness, so stack placement, wind and other environmental factors should be a consideration for different species. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

OutlawB52

Can someone post some pictures of their air drying pallet rack system ? I need to expand and they are fairly inexpensive in my area for what they are . Also , do you pour concrete pads underneath them ?  Thanks, Rod

Tom the Sawyer

Funny that you should mention that.

Got my concrete pad poured about 3 weeks ago - had to let it set up to get strong.  My pallet rack came in yesterday and my wife I had it put up within a couple of hours.  Still need to put a roof on it, shade cloth draping, and start filling it up.  The uprights are 10' high, the orange sections are 9' long (for 8' lumber)and the green section is 13' long.

OutlawB52

Nice . Post the tin roof when it's up . Thanks

scsmith42

Looking good Tom.  Thanks for the pix and update.

OutlawB52

Hi Tom , are you going "condo" and placing  a third stack on top ? 

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Tom the Sawyer

Outlaw B52, 

There will be a sloping metal roof on top of the racks (metal is supposed to be cut and ready to pick up this week).  The roof structure will overhang the racks by one foot and there will be shade cloth drapes hanging from the roof frame, all of the way around.  My forklift only lifts to 8' above ground level so no going 'condo'.   ;)

firefighter ontheside

I love it.  I've thought of doing the same thing.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tom the Sawyer

Brad_bb

I don't understand what use the pallet racking serves?  Especially when you could just stack 3 lifts on top of eachother and have the weight benefit as Yellowhammer indicated.  I'm just finally putting pallets together for air drying.  Before this I've just stacked and stickered separating lifts using 3.5" square stickers and stacking 2 or 3 at a time.  The benefit of the lumber pallets is that you don't have to move big sticker if you ever need to move lifts.  Pallets make the lifts easy to lift and set down.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

scsmith42

Quote from: Brad_bb on September 21, 2018, 09:58:25 PM
I don't understand what use the pallet racking serves?  Especially when you could just stack 3 lifts on top of eachother and have the weight benefit as Yellowhammer indicated.  I'm just finally putting pallets together for air drying.  Before this I've just stacked and stickered separating lifts using 3.5" square stickers and stacking 2 or 3 at a time.  The benefit of the lumber pallets is that you don't have to move big sticker if you ever need to move lifts.  Pallets make the lifts easy to lift and set down.
Brad, the primary benefit is in material handling.  If you stack lifts on top of one another and need to access the bottom lift, you have to remove the other two lifts and then restack them.  This takes time.
By using pallet racking, Tom only handles the material that he needs to access.  This is a significant time saver when processing lumber.  He can only handle the product that he needs.

Tom the Sawyer

Systems are based on the particular needs of our markets.  If your lumber is going to be used in great quantities then maximizing production would be a priority.  If your lumber is going to be hidden inside of a wall or an attic, or as the substrate for another material, then its consistency in size, and strength may be your priority.  Most of my lumber is used for woodworking, cabinets and furniture, so appearance is a priority.  Character lumber sells before commodity lumber, and at a premium.   ;)

Lumber stacked outside, without protection, changes color rapidly, more so on the south and west sides of stacks. Within the confines of my particular location, I'll need to stack lumber outdoors, and yet protect it from color changes, while waiting to go in the kiln.  The racks will have a roof structure (the steel was picked up this week, as was the lumber for the roofs) that overhangs the racks 1' on each side.  There will be shade cloth all of the way around the racks, hanging from inside the eave of the roof frames.  

We are prohibited from building permanent structures within 30' of property lines. This pallet rack system is considered a portable, temporary structure.  If I had loads of space, and a larger budget, or operated on a larger scale, I might have approached it differently.   smiley_sidelightbulb

Brad_bb

Ok, I get it now.  The racking will be used as a structure to act as a building to protect the DRY wood, and to allow customers to pick through each lift as you sell it.

I assume you're not selling until it is air dried down to 12-15%? For the air drying process, you can still stack on top of eachother until it's ready to sell.   

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The cost of moving air drying lumber stacks is around $3 per 1000 bf. The extra weight when using conventional air drying stacks on top of each other can easily add to flatness and increased value over $3 per MBF.  So, if we have separate stacks with straps or other warp prevention, I would think that such straps or other technique could cost more than $3, but even so it is a small cost.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Tom the Sawyer

Brad,

It is not for storing dried lumber, which would be counter-productive after kiln drying.  It is for air drying fresh cut lumber until it is ready to go in the kiln.  The shade cloth should protect if from rain, snow, and sunlight; yet permit air flow to reduce the moisture content below 20-25% before it goes in the kiln.  No fans so I guess it technically isn't a pre-drier.

Brad_bb

In that case, I'd definitely want to stack lifts on top of eachother to reduce warpage and have a roof over head(even if it's just tin).  What you gain in structure from the pallet racking, you lose in not having weight on the stacks.  Some kind of Carport structure to act as a roof would work, stacking lifts on top of eachother inside.  Some weight on the top stack is good too.  In my sheds right now I just stack a layer or two of timbers on top.  More weight would be better.  Do you have a forklift or something with forks to lift stacks with?  Maybe that is the disconnect here?  If you have to hand move everything.... well you need a machine with forks.

Tom the Sawyer

Clarification:  Although I do not have unlimited space or unlimited resources, I do have a need and a plan for resolving that need; air drying species and sizes of lumber that I commonly mill, prior to going into my DH kiln.  I have gained a tremendous amount of information from the Forum; some of those things I have adopted, and there are other things that I would never do - they're just not me.   :P  

My intent was to document how I resolved my pre-drying needs, for those who might be interested; not to convince anyone that this was the ideal solution, or that any other method was incorrect.  I accept responsibility for how I handle my challenges; it is not my intent to push answers to unsolicited questions.   ;)

Although I have not had any significant issues with lumber distortion from my stacking, I do have a design for a weight system, if it becomes necessary.  And, although it was mentioned earlier in this thread, yes, I do have a forklift, along with a tractor w/FEL & forks, and a skid steer with forks.  That is why I felt comfortable buying pallet rack and custom-made pallets for this project.

Fished the pallet rack roof today, shade cloth has been shipped.

The roof is modular, built in 6' sections in case I need to extend, modify or move it to another location.

E-Tex

Tom, the sawmill yard looks great!  
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Tom the Sawyer

Finished hanging the shade cloth.  30% on the North and East sides, 80% on the South and West sides.  Not a good day for photos but... it did happen.  Now I just have to fill up some pallets between the mobile jobs.  ;D

Crusarius

That looks great. I just wish I had some flat ground I could work with.

Thank You Sponsors!