iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying Eastern Red Cedar logs

Started by Deep in red cedar, September 21, 2015, 03:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deep in red cedar

I've come into a situation where I have around 40 cords of Eastern Red Cedar, all diameters from 2 inches up to 12 inches, trees are 16 foot in height. I've been cutting, trimming the branches and piling them outside throughout the summer. I haven't removed the bark yet and am wondering a few things.

1. How long should I let them dry before using them for furniture?
2. Should I remove the bark sooner than later? Will that speed up the drying time?
3. Will they rot of get damaged by sitting outside or should I move them inside?
4. If I make a bedframe and lacquer it before the logs are dry enough, what happens?

Thanks for any help on this. I'm green when it comes to Red Cedar and am interested in this new hobby.

Joey Grimes

I think the bark will start to loosen up where you can pull it of by hand once they dry a few months as far as rot I would try to keep them of the ground and you should be ok for a good while. I'm assuming your making log furniture?
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

Deep in red cedar

That's the plan. I was going to start with log swings and maybe some bedframes. If that all goes well I'd like to maybe start getting into tables and chairs. All rustic looking log furniture. My biggest concern is I don't want to sell a bad product that looks like crap 6 months after they purchase it. I'm hoping to wash some of the bark off before the snow flies and everything freezes up for the winter.

beenthere

Just curious, as my neighbor just had a log swing break down on him, and wonder if you carry liability insurance?
Some scrapes, but were lucky no leg broken. He has no thought of even contacting the seller about it, but every customer may not have that in mind.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Deep in red cedar

I don't have any special insurance at this point, right now I'm just getting things going. This all fell in my lap in June and I've been learning since then. I enjoy working with wood, mostly cabinets and things for around my or a family member's house. I've never sold any of my work before but it's gotten a lot of attention. I'm sure I'll get something so my assets are protected.

Solo33

I made a few pieces of furniture with what I thought was dry enough ERC. As I was just starting out these pieces were for my own use. The bed from I made was great for a few months until the wood stove kicked on for the winter. Became very loose. I took a heavy putty knife and scraped the bark enough to were it was just red/white bark left on. Made the piece unique looking but very time consuming.
I know I was born and I know I will die, the in between is mine, I am mine

Cedarman

There are 2 times when it is easy to peel a cedar log.
First, immediately on cutting down.  The sap will start to dry out as soon as the tree is cut.  It turns to glue.  A draw knife works fairly well on fresh downed cedar.  Pressure washing also works.
Second, after 1 1/2 years.  The bugs start working under the sapwood and eating the sap and making tracks in the wood.  Also staining occurs giving a dark splotchy look to the wood.
If you want fresh looking posts peel immediately.  If you want a rustic look, let them set for 1 1/2 years plus.
The logs will not dry out too much in the stacks if the bark is left on.
For fastest drying of logs, cut the tree down and leave the limbs on.  The green needles will pull all of the moisture from the log as they strive to keep photosynthesizing.  Moisture can get as low as 10 per cent during a hot dry summer if limbs are on tree.  Cutting the limbs off removes the avenue for moisture to leave the log.
If you cut during the hot summer, drying can occur so fast that a lot of checking can occur in the posts.
Most of my customers want posts about 2 years old with the bark starting to come off.
Posts will dry well after bark is off.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!