iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

square filing .325 pitch chain

Started by JT78, February 07, 2014, 04:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JT78

Ok so I fell in love with square chain so I learned how to hand file it do really well if I do say so myself but my question is this I got a few loops of .325 pitch that I turned into square chain with a double bevel cutters look awesome but I keep hitting the tiestrap is this normal for anybody else? I know most people probably arent as ocd as I am that they take the time to manually convert .325 to square.

JT78

--Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/user/jtigertic/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0505.jpg.html][img width=382 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/v727/jtigertic/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0505.jpg[/img][/URL]

Reddog

Some brands of chains you hit the tie straps when your angles are right, others clear fine.

JT78

So just wondering is this going to cause the tiestrap to weaken and be unsafe?

Al_Smith

You want to try something ?Try and square file that Stihl 3/8" pico chisel chain sometime .Talk about a tight fit with a muti bevel file .

I don't recommend it .Fact I only "race chained " one of them just to see if I could do it .About 4 hours later I won the battle .Besides all that nobody but a few of us outlaws in Ohio race top handles . :D

JT78

Yeah that's a little out of my league Al. By the way long time since I seen your name I used to lurk round rs site few years back. Learned a lot from you guys. I live in NC but am actually an Ohio native from Kent area northeast side of Ohio. I remember a nice solo you built couple years back on the other site really enjoyed that stuff with the build offs yall still tinker with any of that stuff?

luvmexfood

What is the advantage of square filing a chain? Just curious. ???
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

JohnG28

Quote from: luvmexfood on February 18, 2014, 07:42:30 PM
What is the advantage of square filing a chain? Just curious. ???

It's faster if you're in good clean wood that won't dull the chain.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Al_Smith

JT that was somebody else .I've never owned a Solo.

Fact I never was in a build off .When that site was running I was working 7 days a week .From time to time I still do when most people my age are retired .Any more I might be lucky to revamp two saws a year . Love doing it just don't have the time .

JT78

Well even of it was a different fella its good to meet you Al.

Thank You Sponsors!