iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

drying under a plastic sheet

Started by forrestM, July 06, 2018, 05:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forrestM

Hey Folks,

Just wanted to see if what i'm doing right now will work for drying some 6.5x.5" poplar boards. I have them stacked and stickered indoors - and i've made a crude tent out of plastic to contain the wood, a fan, and a dehumidifier. I had it all set up in the room, minus the plastic, but it was getting so humid in there from the wood. Will this setup work, having it all within this plastic bubble? Hoping it will speed my drying up. Please let me know if i am totally screwing this up!

thanks,
Forrest

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

You are on target if the dehumidifier is large enuf.  That is, we need to remove the moisture fast enough to prevent discoloration, so we need a large enuf DH unit.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

kelLOGg

Before I built my DH unit I did exactly the same thing. It worked great (except for crawling under the tarp to check MC%). Then I built my walk-in kiln.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

forrestM

Yeah, the only problem so far is getting in and out! 

Do i want to incorporate a heater? would that help or hinder?

thanks!

Thank You Sponsors!