iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood vs Timbery

Started by Tennessee Sawyer, May 11, 2014, 11:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tennessee Sawyer

I am about to be a first time band sawmill owner and I have narrowed down my selection to two mills and I am unsure which one to get so I am hoping you seasoned sawyers can help me. I'm looking at a Norwood lm29 and a Timbery m280 and can't decide which one to get. So I'm reaching out hoping you guys can help me decide which is the better mill. Thanks and God bless.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Tennessee Sawyer!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Hello Tennessee Sawyer, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  I would want to actually put my hands on both of them before deciding. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Very, very similar mills, have to be which will be able to give you the best support and parts when needed.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dboyt

First of all, welcom to the forum!  Magicman is right.  You have to experience the mill to appreciate what it can do.  Any time you'd like to make a trip across Missouri, drop me a line and I'll show you why I wouldn't trade my Norwood for any other mill out there.  I have the HD36 manual sawmill, and do custom mobile sawing which ranges from dimension lumber to some pretty unusual shapes and sizes for woodworkers.

How do you plan to use your sawmill?  Mobile or stationary?  Will you be starting a business?  I assume you'll be cutting mostly hardwoods.

I give Norwood high marks for customer service.  Their tech support people know the machine well, and take the time to help if you ask.  You can get the Norwood mill either assembled or in kit form (I put mine together as a kit-- not too hard, just lots of nuts & bolts).

Here's a link to a posting that shows me maxing the mill out on a 36" diameter sycamore log.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,70670.0.html

Feel free to PM me.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

EZ

:well to the forum. I've milled with both ànd there both excellent mills.
I would say to just flip a coin and then you will have a good one.

dboyt

Quote from: EZ on May 12, 2014, 02:23:47 PM
I would say to just flip a coin...

I've got to disagree here!  There are some significant differences in the mills.  Look them over and get some running time on both, if possible.

Mike@Norwood

Hi  Tennessee Sawyer

If you'd like to see a Norwood in action, feel free to give us a call toll-free at 1-800-567-0404 and we'll find a mill owner in close proximity to your location. Looking for an excuse to take a road trip? On May 31st we're having our annual open house and customer appreciation cookout at our Buffalo, NY shipping warehouse. We'll have all our mills in action and always welcome anyone to help make a board or two. Also, we're less than half an hour from Niagara Falls, which makes for a good excuse to spend a night or two.  ;D I can be reached direct at 716-681-1648.

If I can be of further assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards,
Mike at Norwood

TennesseeFarmerJohn

Tennessee Sawyer,

I have a LM29 Norwood that is about 6 months old. This is my first sawmill.  I have the bed extension, and rapid dogging system.  I am 30 minutes outside of nashville, if you would like to saw a few logs just let me know.  I am super happy with this mill.

I was an absolute newbie, I had never touched a mill before.

I vote for norwood.

Nomad

Not really relevant, but my first mill was a Norwood LM2000.  I'd put that thing up against any manual mill out there.  I'm assuming the newer models are at least as good.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

EZ

Crap, guess I made a mistake or I'm blind. I thought the subject was norwood and timberking. Sorry guys I never ran a timbery. I would definity go with the Norwood.
EZ

drobertson

that was the original question for sure,  as I see it no Timbery's commenting back?  Might be a clue, , or a decisive conclusion as to forum members running them.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dboyt

Do a forum keyword search to see what the comments are regarding the mill.  You can pull up threads and ask for follow-up info from the poster, either on the forum or as a private message.  Sounds like you're doing your homework, and that's a good way to start.

Okrafarmer

First time I've heard of Timbery.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

My cousin has an older Norwood and loves it.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

hacknchop

Tell us about the Timbery mill maybe where theyre made or some specs. I have been a sawmill operator most of my life started out tailing the mill, worked my way through. Ive sawn good quality lumber with all different types of mills and I think that most mills are suited to the operation and if not they move up the scale or down grade depending on circumstances. So problaby should check out what your needs are and start there.Timbery not listed as sponsor here so might be dificult to get an unbiased opinion.
Often wrong never indoubt

Okrafarmer

Well, here's their website. . .

http://www.timbery.com/index.html

One thing I don't see there is a price list.
I don't like the lack of throat height. Maybe I'm spoiled with the LT40's 12 inches. . . .
Gutsy of them to start up and be based out of Indianapolis. . . .

Nomad

According to the website the low end model Timbery sells for $2,995 base price.  I'd like to hear more about them; that seems pretty cheap to me.  They had a booth and entry in the Sawmill Shootout last fall.  Seemed to me to be pretty well made mills, but I never discussed them with the operators.  (I don't remember what model of their mills I was looking at either.)
     I heard someplace they were associated with WM somehow.  I have no idea if that is correct, or just based on being headquartered in the same city.
     There are videos on their website from the Shootout.  I haven't looked at them yet, but that should give a bit more info.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

MartyParsons

Hello,
We are a dealer for Timbery. They are ok. They are a basic mill. Priced accordingly.
I don't want to brake the rules , because they (Timbery) are not a sponsor. I have sold some and customers are pleased with their purchase.

If you are looking at just the money then Timbery may be worth a look.
They are good mills in the comparable price range.

Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

hamish

Quote from: hacknchop on May 15, 2014, 11:22:43 AM
Tell us about the Timbery mill maybe where theyre made or some specs. Timbery not listed as sponsor here so might be dificult to get an unbiased opinion.

The Timbery Mills are made in New Brunswick Canada (used to be however after being bought by Woodmizer who knows).  A very stout and well thought out manual mill.  In eastern Canada it would be one of the greatest competitors (along with SMG and Woodmizer) to Norwood in the manual mill market.

I would take my Norwood ML26 and a Timbery M285, toss them in a fab shop and have the best of both worlds anyday.

Some manufactures are very regional, primarily based upon there marketing and output capabilities.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

hamish

Quote from: MartyParsons on May 15, 2014, 08:57:30 PM
Hello,
We are a dealer for Timbery. They are ok. They are a basic mill. Priced accordingly.
I don't want to brake the rules , because they (Timbery) are not a sponsor. I have sold some and customers are pleased with their purchase.

If you are looking at just the money then Timbery may be worth a look.
They are good mills in the comparable price range.

Hope this helps.
Marty

Marty,

As a dealer for Timbery, do tell how the LT10 and LT15 compare to the M100/M280/M285.

Try to leave your bias aside if possible, and perhaps the reasoning for Woodmizer marketing a "competitors" mill, and the market segment they were hoping to achieve.

Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Okrafarmer

Ouch, Hamish, not sure if that is possible! Might put him in an awkward position.

Thank You Sponsors!