iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My first Anchorseal.....

Started by firefighter ontheside, April 26, 2018, 11:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

I just applied my first Anchorseal a few minutes ago.  Last year when I had some walnut milled I applied some water based poly I had to the ends.  Either it worked fine or walnut just behaves well.  Now that I have my own mill and I will be doing this regularly I figured it was time to use the real stuff.  I was pleasantly surprised to find it available on Amazon Prime.....straight to my door with free shipping.  $40 per gallon seemed very reasonable too.  I put it on some recent maple, oak and walnut I've sawn.  Then I put it on a walnut log that's waiting on my mill to be cut into some awesome lumber.  In the future I plan to apply it to log ends early on instead of waiting for lumber.  The rest of my logs in waiting are soaked from rain and I will wait for the ends to dry a bit before I paint them.  Cleaning the brush was very easy with hot water too.  I should have done this months ago.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

alan gage

Pretty sure UC coatings (the manufacturer) has free shipping as well. Same price as Amazon. Big discount for buying sizes larger than one gallon. Two gallons is only another $12 and you can get five gallons for under $100. 

ANCHORSEAL (CLASSIC) - UC Coatings

I used a brush for the first two gallons and have since switched to a 3" roller. Much easier, faster, and cleaner. I think I get a thicker and more even coat on the log as well. I storethe roller in a 5 gallon bucket with a little water in the bottom that keeps the roller from getting hard. Just shake out the water, dip in the bucket of anchorseal and roll away. Read that as a tip somewhere here when digging through the archives. 

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Sawmill_Bill

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on April 26, 2018, 11:47:02 AM
The rest of my logs in waiting are soaked from rain and I will wait for the ends to dry a bit before I paint them.
I would paint them as soon as possible with the Anchorseal as not allowing the ends of the logs to start drying out is the reason you would put the coating on in the first place.  Also, Anchorseal is made to adhere to a wet surface unlike latex paint that some try to use.

firefighter ontheside

That's good to know Alan, thanks.  One benefit for me with Amazon is that we always have gift card credits coming from my wife's business credit card rewards.  Gotta spend it on something.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

One Bill to another Bill, thanks.  I kind of figured it didn't need to be perfectly dry, but we had a bunch of rain last night so the logs were dripping.  Maybe I'll go,out now and do some more now that it's not as wet.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

Done.  That roller would also be handy in tight spots.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

In order for AnchorSeal to work best, it should be put on fresh, un-dried ends (it does not control existing checks or splits very well) and thick enough to greatly limit moisture movement.  As walnut is quite prone to end splits that can travel internally up the lumber, especially 8/4 and thicker, two coats are best.  Some folks also coat the face knots (over 1/2" in diameter) in walnut...a good idea.  

Note that any end splits over 3/8" wide about, are stress splits and not drying splits.  AnchorSeal does not affect stress splits.

It is common in my plant visits to see it put on way too thin...for all species.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

tmbrcruiser

I work for a local hardwood mill as their timber buyer, so I don't spend a lot of time in the mill. Yesterday I was looking at poplar that had been flat packed for a customer and noticed the ends had been sealed. The owner said, after using back pack sprayers he had switched to using a Wagner electric sprayer. He thought it was faster and was able to put on an even coat than the pack sprayer.

I have a bandmill at home and plan to get the sprayer for my logs. 
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

firefighter ontheside

Thanks Gene.  I did coat some of the larger knots.  I can go out and give some a second coat today.

I think in my little operation, I'll keep brushing it or maybe try the little roller idea.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Make sure you kinda glop it on and do not paint it and brush or roll it like one would paint a house wall.  Also, if you spray it, especially Tennessee orange, make sure my pickup is not parked downwind...voice of experience.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

firefighter ontheside

I'm using clear and I'm pretty sure I'm nowhere near your truck.  Lol.
I went out and checked this morning and it has dried to a pretty good coating.  The only gaps are on the pieces that already had checks.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!