iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Very Durable Portable Generator

Started by Percy, February 08, 2019, 10:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

4 years ago almost to the date, I bought a Briggs and Stratton "Elite " portable generator rated at 8000 running, 10,000 starting watts. Its a 15 hp model. Cost 1099.00 Canadian which would be around 750.00 US.  THis thing runs every day for around 8 hours. Uses around 20 liters(5 gallons) of purple gas and powers sawdust conveyor(2 hp) and roll case(3 hp) and compressor (2 hp) along with lights and BMS250 and grindstones, drill press, yaddayadda. It has used oil since new, enough that I dont change it, just add a quart every month of the same I put in everything else..15-40 diesel engine oil. I change the air filter every couple months. I have a boneyard of broken down old generators of various offshore brands that pre dated this one and I use for parts as they all seem to be clones of eachother. 

I have had to change the brushes several times and lately, all the springs that control the throttle and governor are busting from old age and vibration. I have lots of used parts. 

Point of this thread is...this particular brand/model of offshore type generators seem to be a cut above the rest...Well over 4000 hours on it and going strong.

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

John S

2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Old Greenhorn

SWEEETTTT! You got lucky and found a winner. I wish all gear would run like that. The stuff they make today seems to have the 'throw out and buy another' attitude toward design and build. 2 years ago I bought a gas water pump, just 120 GPM for a specific task. I set it up, test ran the system, everything was good. Arrived at the 'job' and it ran just 45 minutes before the rocker arm snapped off. Ruined my weekend and made a lot of unplanned labor for the rest of the crew moving water all weekend.
 After the fact, the seller would not even answer emails. I finally found a clone part on ebay and took a chance. Perfect fit. When I was doing the repair, I noticed the un-broken rocker arm was too tight (no clearance), and I am assuming the one that broke was the same. So, the defect came from the factory. I since have put about 100 hours on that pump without a glitch, and the pump performed that same duty it was bought for, the following year.
 You find something that runs, take care of it, and it will take care of you. Which reminds me, I should probably make sure I drained the water out of that puppy, but if I didn't, it might be too late.  ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

sawguy21

Percy, you have had exceptional service from a piece of equipment that was designed for occasional use. Your dollar was well spent.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

John Bartley

That Briggs engine (of the Vanguard / Intek family) is one of the most durable engines out there.  Running it for long periods is probably your best bet for long life as it gets hot enough to boil out any moisture that might accumulate in the crankcase.  It also ensures that you always have fresh fuel in it, thereby avoiding the risk of stale fuel contamination of the carb.  Some years ago Briggs bought the residential generator division of Generac.  Generac always built top end stuff, so "if" the power generating end of yours is indeed a Generac then you have a good unit.

Keep running it.

If it was me I'd change the oil (and filter if there is one) just to flush out any accumulated dirt - not because of any deterioration of the oil ...
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Thank You Sponsors!