iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Use of the "Quote" feature.

Started by beenthere, February 28, 2006, 12:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

A few weeks back, Tom (admin) made some good comments (he is known to do that off and on, sometimes :o :) ::) ) about the overuse of the 'quote' feature, and I think I was a guilty party for overusing it.  Seems Tom pointed out that quoting the entire message that is in the previous message just is a bit redundant and un-necessary.
If I use the 'quote' feature, (I do when I want to respond to something specific and in the exact way it was stated), I try to delete out the parts of that message to which I am not responding.  Also, I try to make sure I don't place my return message within the [ quote ] brackets, as that is confusing to the reader.
The quote feature is a great feature to have, and I don't want to see it 'disabled' again by da Boss. It got my attention.
I hope this is a friendly message, as it isn't intended to stir up anything. Just my take to help the flow of info.

I do think, in lieu of the quote feature, it is good to mention the name of the member the new message is responding to, as sometimes it is a guess if it is responding to the previous post or one further back in the thread.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

leweee

Quote from: beenthere on February 28, 2006, 12:42:42 PM
  about the overuse of the 'quote' feature, and I think I was a guilty party for overusing it. 

guilty as charged....me too , just checking to make sure it's working ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Max sawdust

Beenthere you make a good point.

I too like the quote feature ;D 

Here is something to think about:  I see a bit of danger editing out part of what someone said in a quote. 
Some one quoted me on this forum with only part of my sentence to make a point, it misconstrued the point I was making :o

Think about our Governor in Wisconsin, didn't he get an extra couple of million in his budget by only selectively editing out words in the budget the Senate passed ??? :o

I guess I just want to add that one should be carefully when editing a quote.

Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Jeff

The point is not to edit the quote. Is removing the parts of the post that is not rlevant to the reply. The purpose of the quote is for one to know what you are talking about and where the reference is. Possibly I should call them foot notes instead. :D

Really, that is THEE funtion of the quote function. Simply to point out that I was referring to "This".
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Actually this has me thinking, as the word quote does indicate you are adding something that someone else says verbatum, so it should really not be edited if that is the case, so quote really is not an appropriate label for the function.

What do you ya'll think about the idea of changing the quote functions title and labels to: "In reference to..."

Radar67

"In Reference To" sounds like a winner to me.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

beenthere

eh? I don't see a reason for changing, as 'quote' makes sense to me. But I won't stand in the way of progress either  :)

I think there will be more 'mental' questions with 'in reference to' as to what it means than 'quote'.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dan_Shade

it's ok to "snip" qoutes, but not edit quotes if you want to be "correct"

who wants to quote all of blue's brothers when they order "four fried chickens and a coke"?!?!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

etat

QuoteWhat do you ya'll think about the idea of changing the quote functions title and labels to: "In reference to..."

nah, I think you mostly got yer point across....... :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Max sawdust

My 1 cents worth of opinion ::) Is leave it as quote, but everyone just use "quote etiquette" and do what is sensible and right for this forum.  Just like the members correct some one when they use all capital letters or foul language :)
My previous post was to just point out the power of the eraser.   ;D
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

loudsam

I must be missing something.  I'll stand corrected, (happily), if someone can explain;  What difference does it make?  Can you take up too much space on the forum programming?  I can't remember ever being perturbed because someone quoted my "whole" statement, or just a part of it, whatever.

Jeff

You aint read the right threads then. Try to read every thing twice for 3 pages. It's like seeing double.

loudsam

Yeah, I kind of see your point!!! :o

Don_Papenburg

Is there some way to be able to reply to a specific post ? like a reply button at the end of each post .  Then when you reply your post will state, No.28 in reply to No.4,   automaticly.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Jeff

Not readily available. That can get confusing as well.

Tom

we do have user names and the English language though.   We have always, in the past said,

Don,
We don't have any buttons that would refer to a post but we have names.  :)

Max Sawdust,
I kinda like the etiquette suggestion. :)

VA-Sawyer

Please don't do that. I can remember words pretty well from a previous post and if someone uses a short ( as in snipped ) quote to reference the post he is responding to, then I can mentally make the connection. If it says  No. 28 in reply to No.4  then I will have to scroll up to see which one was number 4.

I hope that posting in reply to a recent post without using the 'Quote' function doesn't cause undue stress or confusion.     ;)

Thank You Sponsors!