iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bathroom renovation cost

Started by wildtmpckjzg, November 24, 2023, 05:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildtmpckjzg

Hi there, 

I was just wondering what people's experiences was of having their bathrooms renovated. 

I'd like to get my modest 6x7 foot bathroom renovated but all the adverts I see for bathrooms on-line, 

on Facebook etc seem exorbitant - at least £3.5k upwards. Is this what it actually costs everyone else?? 

I know labour is a big part of it but seen as you can get a three piece suite for say £500 I don't get why 

the rest costs so much for a suite and some plastic panelling for the walls! Any experience/tips? 

sawguy21

I see you are in the U.K. so there is limited experience with your market. Are you wanting cosmetics, paint and fixtures, or does your planned renovation involve structural changes? How is your house constructed? Are plumbing and wiring up to modern standards? Too many questions without seeing the house and your plans.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Southside

Kitchens and bathrooms are the two most expensive rooms in a house to remodel.  $10K does not go far here to re-do a bath. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ianab

Cost of the fittings is only part of the deal. 

You start with having to rip out the old fixtures / flooring / wall lining etc, so there is a significant cost involved there before the new stuff can be started on. Then installation of all the new gear, at maybe $100+ an hour. Building / Plumbing / Electrical. 

Pretty soon you are up to 3,000 pounds.  :-\

There may be some work you can do yourself, but that depends on local laws. New plumbing and electrical needs to be done by a qualified tradesman here or kiss your insurance goodbye if it springs a leak. But you can do some initial demo work, non-structural stuff like wall linings and flooring yourself. Maybe cut the costs in 1/2? IF you have the tools and know how at least. Otherwise, you get a building contractor to arrange it all, and just pay the bill.   
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

twar

Quote from: Ianab on November 24, 2023, 10:42:27 PMNew plumbing and electrical needs to be done by a qualified tradesman here or kiss your insurance goodbye if it springs a leak.

Same here, and here you have to document who did the work if you ever sell the house.

Bath work is expensive, but it HAS to been done right. Consider this...you are combining water and electricity and you are creating a very humid room.

I have a bathroom with a window and wall to the outside. After my shower (and my wife's, and if you have kids...) my bathroom is about 30 degrees C and 100% relative humidity. Ten inches away (and in many houses less), outside, on the other side of the wall, it may be 40-50 degrees colder. I will save you the math, but that's a lot of heat and humidity trying to make its way to cold and dry. Even when done property, a bathroom is an uphill battle against physics. So yes, bathrooms are expensive.

beenthere

twar

QuoteAfter my shower (and my wife's, and if you have kids...) my bathroom is about 30 degrees C and 100% relative humidity. Ten inches away (and in many houses less), outside, on the other side of the wall, it may be 40-50 degrees colder.

A solution is to have venting to the rest of the home, and share that humidity that is likely needed when temps outside are 40-50 deg colder. Keeps the shower and bathroom walls less "drippy" with condensation. Can be as simple as vents in the top and the bottom of the room's door.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom King

I've been doing building house stuff for a living for 50 years now and have all the licenses.  I don't have any idea how much it costs to build anything.  I started out to find out how much it costs to build something by building it.  That's the only thing I know how to do still.  I don't do estimates or deadlines.  You will have to get someone there who does such jobs to give you a price.

Andries

Southside and Tom King times two.
You seem to be focussing on the money only. Anyone in the trades couldn't give you an answer, anymore than if you had asked, 'how much is a truck worth'?
It depends on dozens of details.
One approach might be; what is your home worth as is, and what is it worth with the renovation done? That is your upper limit to spend on the renovation.

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Brad_bb

Those ads you're talking about scare me.  Good tradesman don't need to advertise these days.  They have more work than they can handle.  It's a matter of finding the good ones by word of mouth/recommendations and researching their history.  In their past jobs have they pulled all the proper permits?  Those that avoid the permitting process are ones to avoid.  What are they hiding.  Probably cut corners and sub par work.  

Do your own research and education on how the jobs should be done properly, especially how are they going to prevent leaks for showers, using the proper techniques for prep of toilets, and the proper up to code way of running taps and drains.

What are the requirements for GFI outlets, What are the proper type of pot lights if that is what are used in shower.  Is the shower vent fan being properly vented through the roof(so moist air doesn't leak into attic)?  Is the vent pipe insulated to prevent condensation in the pipe?

The more educated you are, and finding good people, the more you know it is done right.  Will you be your own general contractor and hire the subs yourself (electrician, plumber, tile work, drywall, Painting, etc.)?  Will you be going demo yourself?  Are you prepared if there is water damage to the subfloor or structure?  Are you prepared for mold remediation if needed?

When you hire a do-it-all company, I've heard too many horror stories of jobs started with excessive down payments and they walk away with your money after making a mess.  

I'd recommend knowing what you want ahead of time, picking out fixtures and materials/colors.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

JRWoodchuck

Bathrooms are a tricky one to bid because most of the time there is water damage underneath everything that you can't see until it's torn out. Generally what I recommend to customers of mine is to call the local hardware store/plumbing/electrical store and ask them who they'd recommend. They see these guys generally everyday and know who pays there bills and knows what they're doing in that specific trade. (At least that's what I say when I don't have someone to recommend)
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum

I'd say most important would be making contact with previous customers, the best you can. Get a list from the remodeling company and do your research. Maybe better business bureau, but I've found that to be evasive to learn much.

If you fill out your location in your profile, maybe a member has a better suggestion. My bathroom remodel was by a local business, not one at a distant town or village.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Menagerie-Manor

In the process of preparing our our WC for a total renovation and putting together our budget with all new tile, some drywall, new fixtures, custom built tile shower w/ custom glass and in floor heat. Since I have the mechanical skills only the tile and drywall require subs and we are in the 30k range at this point.
If you come to a fork in the road take it.....

Woodland Mills HM126
Yanmar YM2310D
Stihl 031AV
Stihl MS251

Thank You Sponsors!