iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Grandpa diet

Started by Bibbyman, July 29, 2015, 06:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Here you go. Eggs are now not the root of all evil.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/well-good/teach-me/70763544/could-two-eggs-a-day-keep-the-doctor-away

Study by Sydney University of people with type 2 diabetes. Some ate 2 eggs a day, the others didn't. No change in cholesterol or blood sugars. Only effect noticed was a slight improvement in the "good" cholesterol level, but not enough to be significant. (Just enough to get more funding for another study probably  ;) :) )

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doctorb

Bibbyman  - I applaud you.

One of our culture's biggest faults is that we are too quick to think that we know something, and too slow to admit that we don't know what we don't know.  Well done.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Bibbyman

Quote from: doctorb on August 03, 2015, 08:58:41 AM
Bibbyman  - I applaud you.

One of our culture's biggest faults is that we are too quick to think that we know something, and too slow to admit that we don't know what we don't know.  Well done.

Years ago I was sent to a week-long professional development class. At the end we were given a critical review of our understanding of what it ment to be a professional.  My biggest fault was that I always asked why.   I guess a professional should just take orders from the authority above and not ask why. 

That's why I question why food we've eaten for millions of years is now bad for us.  Yet, we are trending sicker and heavier eating new foods.  For sure,  the availability of so may carbohydrates has compounded the problem. 

My Dad was a young adult in the Depression.   He tried to ween himself off of sugar for his coffee become sugar was expensive back then.  But he could only get as far as the tip of a spoon full and couldn't go without suger completely.  Up in his mid-90s, he would poke the tip of the spoon in the sugar bowl and shake off a grain or two or scoop again until he got the exact scant little he had to have.  He also salted everything before he even tasted it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

rooster 58

My fiancee  and I began a diet 20 days ago. We signed up for a program called nutrimost. It is a little expensive. We received  minerals to put in our water and a weight loss formula drops to put under our tongue 3x day. And a rather extreme diet. 500 calories a day. No fats, oils, carbs or anything. No butter.
    I have lost 22 lbs in 20 days, my fiancee  a little less. I think what is working for me is the diet. I think the supplement and minerals are more hocus pocus than anything.
    Like Bibb says, it's more about training your body and your mind. Learning about foods and how corn sugars are bad for you and how they convince your brain to induce you to eat more. I love food and usually ate like it was Thanksgiving  most days. I rationalized that I was big and worked hard so I needed to eat alot.
    I am striving to lose another 40 or 50 lbs. I already feel better, especially  not having headaches. I'd like to know what was giving me headaches. And I have more energy and my legs feel a little better

rooster 58

One good thing we got was a special salt. It's a combination  of pink salt and Hawaiian  salt. Evaporated and not processed. No anti clumping agents. Much better  for you than regular white or even sea salt

Bibbyman

I'm not a calorie counter but 500 calories per day is a starvation diet.  Obviously you're going to loose weight but what else are you losing?  Muscles also reduce,  brain function,  your nervous system, and who knows what else.  Your body need fiber too. 

I can't point out a more different aproch to weigh loss.  Yours depends on a cocktail mix of vitamins and minerals to try to replace what you'd be getting in natural food. The drops under the tongue are,  I'm assuming,  some kind of pacifier to curb your apatite.   It takes trust in modern science that I don't have.

The diet I describe is based on eating simple foods in moderation and letting my body respond in its own time.  I lost 10 pounds over the winter months and never weighed until spring. I felt I hadn't gained weight but I was pleased to find I had actually lost weight.

Good luck on your diet and report back on future results. 
Sawing since '94

rooster 58

Bibbyman,
     Yeah I know  what you mean. I regard these supplements as hocus pocus. The real reason for the weight loss is the starvation diet. We are limited to protein and veggies and fruit. And only certain ones.
     I do appreciate  this program tho because it made me look at what I was eating. Do you know there's corn sugar in ketchup even? It's given me more ideas about raising my own food, or at least buying what I need to can or freeze.

Also, I would like to start keeping a steer around to butcher, and even a hog maybe. It's been years since I did it. But I have a new concern about what they feed these animals. Used to be that not many people got cancer. I'm convinced  that the steroids and other feed supplements are responsible for many cancer issues today

Bibbyman

I don't know about cancer statistics.  I think there is a lot of things making the numbers so high.  One thing is, people are just living longer.  Up until the 1900s, there were almost yearly waves of epidemics sweeping the country that would wipe out a significant percent of the population. These people died of something else before they devoped cancer.   Also,  people probably died of cancer that was undiagnosed.  They just called it something else.  Then we've not had a war that's reduced our population as did the wars until the Korean War.   Then diagnosis has advanced a lot in past 50 years.  People are diagnosed with cancer and treated that may have outlived it otherwise. 

Food is another double edged sword.   I sure don't like to eat the food that's been chemically enhanced but on the other hand we have a far healthier food inspection and distribution system than 50 years ago.

It's not just food we are being exposed to that effect our health.   I walk into Wall-Mart and can only stay so long.  The smells of all the products - not just the scented products that are the worst but also the plastics and chemicals.   We bring this stinky sruff home and live with it in a closed environment.  Most of these products didn't exist in Grandpa's era.  The houses were drafty and in the hot months the doors and windows were open.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Eating out...

For Grandpa,  eating out probably ment he packing a lard bucket with a couple of boiled eggs, a biscuit, a piece of local fruit,  and some kind of hard garden vegetable like a carrot, reddish or pickle.  There were public events like pie suppers,  country fairs, weddings and such.   On the rare occasion he traveled,  he'd likely stop in at a country store and buy a linburger sandwich and a quart of Schlitz beer.  In my memory of him, he never mentioned eating in a cafe or restaurant.  He probably did but it wasn't a common event.

Today we think nothing of eating out. We grab a cup of coffee and a couple of doughnuts at Casey's, swing through the fast food place for lunch, then go out to supper in the evening. 

If you eat out a lot and eat a lot when you eat out,  you're not going to make it on the Grandpa diet.

The most effective way to correct this is to not eat out.  That's not likely to happen. Maybe cut down on eating out.

Think about where you eat, what you order and how much you eat.  Say no to the buffet.  You'll be tempted to "get your money's worth".  We avoid them like fast food places with a playground.   Choose the lighter meals on the minu. If they offer a 6oz steak, 12oz or the gut buster 24oz,  chose the 6oz. That's as much meat as you need.  When the baked potato looks like it took first place at the Idaho state fair,   just eat a small portion of it. Your mom is not there telling you to clean your plate. Order off the senior menu if you qualify or can get by with it.  We've even ordered off the children's menu.

Restaurants serve an insane amount of food.  One place we like to eat at serves easily twice as much as a person  needs to eat in their lunch specials. We'll ask for go boxes and take more than half home.  Then we'll have the other half for supper. Often times Mary will discard the sides and buns and make a salid. When we do stop at a fast food place, we order off the value menu and just have water to drink. There is not one of the number special package deals that are not more than you need to eat and likely more than you need in a day.  Add the big soft drink with refill to go and you've really went over the top.

Better to just eat at home.  Lunch may be a fold over light sandwich on rie bread and some baked chips washed down with unsweet  tea. Add a piece of fruit.  For supper,  you should see empty real estate on your plate. One scoop,  not three of each offering.  No going back for seconds. 

Satisfying your hunger is the goal.
Sawing since '94

Ianab

I don't mind the "All you can eat", I just pick the good stuff and only eat what I want.

Our favourite is a Mongolian BBQ place. You choose your meat, vege, oil and spices and they cook it up in front of you. You know what went into the meal because you picked it out yourself. Beef, pork, chicken, seafood, and whatever veges you fancy, then some olive oil and chili etc and it's good to go. You don't even need to add noodles / rice / chips / bread etc if you don't want to.

On a road trip the kids want to stop at McDs. No way if Dad's driving. Lara knows this, and doesn't ask. Taylor asks, but happily eats her Subway when we do stop. At least that's just a sandwich. pretty much like you might make at home.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

When we are traveling we eat our cereal breakfast in the camper.  Then it is one meal, usually late noon/early afternoon.  A "to go" box is the next day's noon meal.  Skipping the evening meal is our normal.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rooster 58

We went to see ZZ Top on Thursday.  So we went to a Golden Corral beforehand.  I didn't do too bad. One plate of salad. A plate of hicken, small piece of steak, and some green beans. For dessert it was fresh strawberries  and cantaloupe.
   It was far less than I used to eat there  ;)

Bibbyman

Quote from: rooster 58 on August 13, 2015, 11:13:59 AM
Bibbyman,
     Yeah I know  what you mean. I regard these supplements as hocus pocus. The real reason for the weight loss is the starvation diet. We are limited to protein and veggies and fruit. And only certain ones.
     I do appreciate  this program tho because it made me look at what I was eating. Do you know there's corn sugar in ketchup even? It's given me more ideas about raising my own food, or at least buying what I need to can or freeze.

Also, I would like to start keeping a steer around to butcher, and even a hog maybe. It's been years since I did it. But I have a new concern about what they feed these animals. Used to be that not many people got cancer. I'm convinced  that the steroids and other feed supplements are responsible for many cancer issues today

You mentioned ketchup having corn sugar,   got to watch that salad dressing two. It's oil (fat) and sweetners too. As much as 75 calories a tablespoon.  So you think you're doing the right thing by eating salad but if you dump a lot of dressing on it, you're not savings nearly as much as you're thinking.  It tastes good because your body craves the fat and carbs. The fat is likely some manufactured poly something or other also. Better to eat it dry or get the soup instead.
Sawing since '94

rooster 58

Bibby you're right again.  We like  Olive Garden  salad dressing. I was dismayed to notice it has corn sugar.  I actually  make a great tasting  dressing that many like.
    Right now we cannot consume oils. I use red wine vinegar on salads

Bibbyman

Say,  how is your skin reacting to this diet?  Do you have enough loose skin to make a set of luggage?  :)
Sawing since '94

rooster 58

No, actually my skin doesn't  feel "stretched tight" as Kathy says. But it is not loose.

Bibbyman

I ran across this collection of photos on another forum today.  Great pictures taken from 1939 to 1949.  Entertaining to look at in themselves but note not a single overweight person in the pictures even though many of the pictures display an abundance of food. 

http://extras.denverpost.com/archive/captured.asp
Sawing since '94

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Bibbyman on August 17, 2015, 07:18:18 AM

You mentioned ketchup having corn sugar,   

Hunts generally doesn't have corn syrup. But we found in Marden's stores in Maine a Hunts bottle size with corn syrup. So I suspect it depends on what part of the country that bottle of Hunts was made. If you go to the regular Shop and Save or Haniford's it's without the corn syrup. Same with soft drinks, up here corn syrup. In some states none. A lot of home cooking and candies was made with corn syrup even in my grandma's day. Grandma liked butter, she made her own and sold some.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bibbyman

I was poking around looking at sugar consumption over history. There are a number of places to look up the figures. Here is one that breaks it down pretty simple  - and it's shocking.   The average person a 100 years ago consumed 4 pounds of sugar a year. Today, the average person consumes 1/4 to 1/2 pounds per DAY!  Or 150-170 pounds per year.

http://bamboocorefitness.com/not-so-sweet-the-average-american-consumes-150-170-pounds-of-sugar-each-year/
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

As some of you are aware, Mary and I have taken up Cowboy Action Shooting.   June of last year we attended a national match in New Mexico.  While there we bought some real, period correct cowboy duds.   I had to suck it up a bit to button up my pants.  We wore them again last fall.  I put them on this morning as we were going to a regional match.  I was pleasantly surprised I didn't have to suck up to button the top of the pants.  In fact,  I could slip both hands in the top and still have a loose fit.
    8)
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

I made two diet mistakes today.  The first was skipping my protein breakfast and eating a BIG bowl of cereal.  I felt somewhat full but my hunger wasn't satisfied.   About 9:00 I was starving and starting to feel bad.  I found a little something to eat until lunch.   

Then, somehow double filled chocolate cookies made it into the house. (Mary is evil.  The more I make progress on my diet,  the more junk she brings to me.) I ate one.  From the first bite, it tasted awful.  The filling was just whipped sugar.   I know it sounds strange but once you get over consuming large amounts of sugar,   you can't stand something really sweet.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

I understand.  I doubt that I could eat more than one bite from a candy bar.

Bibbyman

How's everyone doing on their diet plan?

I have to admit I've put a few pounds back on. We're getting more serious about retirement and have been doing very little sawmill work.  We are traveling a lot more that means eating out more. 

Thanksgiving.

Daughter-in-law fixed enough for 20 people on Thanksgiving.  Then another big meal the next evening because nobody wants to eat leftovers. She sent about 10 pounds (exaggeration) of pumpkin cheesecake home with us.

Then Mary fixed dinner on following Sunday for son Gabe and girls plus new grandson-in-law.  Eat leftovers all week. But that didn't stop Mary from baking something every day.

I'm trying my best to keep on my Grandpa diet and get some exercise every day.  Although I've put on a few pounds,  my blood sugar has remained remarkably good.  My blood pressure has suffered a little but staying "good".

Now comes Christmas.   Uhaa!
Sawing since '94

Hilltop366

Traveling in a car and eating out get to me real quick, I usually clean my plate and start suffering for it about 10 miles down the road.

Thank You Sponsors!