iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

50 pounds of 8d nails,$100

Started by thecfarm, April 06, 2013, 09:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

What has happened to the price of nails? I all ready brought some big spikes,50 pounds for $100.The other day I ran out of 8d nails. I had these for 10 years. I went to the local lumber yard and paid $100 for 50 pounds of 8d box gav nails. Talk about sticker shock.  :o That is what I said too. As my Father use to say,You have to pay.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Yup, and you will pay $40 for 2,000 15 gauge brads for the finish nailer.  This happened a couple of years ago.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Wenrich

I guess you figured that rise in scrap metal prices wasn't going to have any affect on you. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

I guess your just catching up. 50 #8 3" wood screws is $10 bucks locally, has been for at least 5 years. And they aren't the good ones.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

loggah

I see boxes of nails come into the junkyard all the time !!! people just throw them out,i guess everyone uses air nailers now!!! ::) i usually grab some of the spikes and bring them home ! Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

dukndog

Just buy one new tire and it will find nails for free!! :D :D
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

DaleK

Have you figured out how much easier they bend than 10 years ago too?
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

thecfarm

Ron,not by that much.  :o  As I said it's been 10 years since I brought any. Most times I buy a 50 pound box,going to need them sometime down the road. Probably the last box cost me $30??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Well it seems when China raised the price of scrap they bought up all the rusty nails in world and recyled them into new nails .Look at a box of nails some time .I'll about bet it was made in China .

You think nails are bad ,look at the price of welding rods if you want to see sticker shock .You certainly cannot buy them any more for a dollar a pound which they were for decades .

thecfarm

Close enough Al,the box has on it,

Port:BOSTON
Country of origin,Dubal-U.A.E

mometal77

Here at the recyclers I saw some boxes over summer and bought every one of them. They even had D batteriers 12v for 75 a piece they where going for 300 at the tractor supply store. They came out of new buses that came in from down south and they smashed every one of them. State money at its best.  Restore is another place to get some deals if they are not over priced. I never got this state how a donated item could have a tax added to it when they resell it here.  One thing I hate about prices is usually like gas prices everything goes up and it might come down a few cents.

I bought over the summer also that made in the usa excaliber rod 7018 at cost i think around 2 dollars a ib. A guy from higher up on the bean pole from cali stopped in before going to alaska.

Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Rooster

$100.00 ??

It's because they are galvanized!!    smiley_smash

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Al_Smith

Well yeah of course you'll pay more for galvanized .Chinese galvanized it seems like to stick together in clumps of 3 or 4 .Some they forget to point and some they forget to head ,straight wire ,same price .

I can't help but wonder if they make nails any more in North America and no I don't consider Mexico as part of North America whatever NAFTA says .

thecfarm

Anything that I don't plan on taking apart I use galvanized and I do know they cost more than non. It's all I build with.IMO they are work better.I probably have 150 pounds of gav nails and spikes. But maybe only 20 non gav.

red oaks lumber

i  still hit my thumb no matter the price of nails :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

johnjbc

Bought 2 #40 lb boxes of 8D nails last weekend, at an auction last weekend. $14 a box. had choice of up to 4 boxes.
Didn't buy any 16D as they were expensive at $24 a box. smiley_hillbilly_tub_base
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

drobertson

Sounds like we ought to go by as many boxes as we can! They will only go up, this reminds me of  how much Tee post cost went up the last few years,  should've bought a truck load when they were $1.65 ea.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Al_Smith

Every thing has went up in price including the tax .Fact I made about two thousand less this past year than the year before but paid more state income tax .I wonder when the sneaky rats snuck that one through ?

Now auctions it just depends on the crowd and how many "shills" the auctioneers have planted .Actually they can be kind of fun ,I just love to have them run me then stick them with it .They get the message after a while . ;)

muddstopper

Love them Auctions. I usually set my price before I bid. If bidding starts slow, I bid slow. If i think I am being run up, I will bid like crazy until I reach my set price and then just walk away. Cant count the times one of the bid catchers would run me down and try to get me to bid just one more time. Heck, if they didnt want it, they shouldnt have been bidding in the first place.

Ron Wenrich

My dad was an auctioneer, and I used to write a lot of his sales.  I had to follow all those bids that were being taken while he was calling.  They were for real.

I guess some guys run shills, but there aren't a lot of them that do.  When caught, there are some pretty heavy penalties, including the loss of license.  You don't really need a shill to get a bid.  You can pull them from the air, if that's your style.

What I always found is that the auctioneer will start a bid out as sort of an appraisal.  They then back down and wait until they find a bid.  If the auctioneer doesn't know his stuff, he'll start something really low, then back down even further.  If there isn't anyone paying attention, you'll get a good buy. 

We have a local auction that sells groceries about once a month.  This stuff is in date and are goods that grocers didn't want.  A friend of mine goes to these.  If you wait until the end, when the crowd is thin, you can get incredible buys on food.  He saw perfectly good hams going for less than $1/lb, as well as other cuts of meat.  Stuff that's going for over $5/lb in the store.  He just didn't have room in the freezer.

The worst place to get good buys is estate sales.  Too many relatives and dealers.  Equipment auctions brings out lots of business owners, some with deep pockets.  The best are auction houses.  Not much advertising and smaller crowds.  But, there are fewer watchers at the houses compared to estates.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!