iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer Stand Tree Damage?

Started by Knute, November 07, 2010, 10:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knute

Will a tight strap around, if left for years, damage a tree by resrticting the amount of water intake?

LeeB

If you leave it for years, the tree will grow around the strap. I would worry about the strap detriorating and breaking when left out in the elements for prolonged periods.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Chuck White

Lee's correct, the tree would grow around the strap in the same way as it would a fence.

Also, the supports on the stand would become imbedded into the tree.

I'd suggest that if you're going to leave a stand in place until the next hunting season, at a minimum, loosen the binding. Shortly before the next season, check the condition of the straps.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

A rope or strap or wire can girdle a tree over time and kill it. Yes, sometimes it can grow around it, but just as often it will die.  You can even girdle a tree with wood.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Also, leaving the strap up year round is an unsafe practice.  You will be unable to properly inspect the strap for squirrel damage.  This could lead to a nasty falling accident.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

As stated above, do not leave a tree stand strap or chain tightened to a tree over the seasons. The strap or chain should be losened and inspected each spring to allow for the trees growth and your safety.  Retighten the undamaged or weathered straps each fall before the hunting season. Squirrels and Porkys will chew up straps over time and unscrupulous hunters have been known to cut them.

Also do not use screw in tree steps. I find tree stands all the time with grown in straps, chains, screw in tree steps, nails, etc while cruising timber. They often seem to have been placed in in the higher value grade or potenial, veneer trees and now render the tree worthless.   :(
~Ron

Magicman

My Forester will not mark any tree with a deer stand in it, on it, or attached to it.   They have to be taken down before he cruises.  He's had too many bad experiences.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

We usually mark a WL on them and they are left as Wildlife Trees. ;)
~Ron

John Mc

Quote from: Ron Scott on November 08, 2010, 02:40:46 PM
Also do not use screw in tree steps. I find tree stands all the time with grown in straps, chains, screw in tree steps, nails, etc while cruising timber. They often seem to have been placed in in the higher value grade or potential, veneer trees and now render the tree worthless.   :(

That's one that really gets me. I guess the guy who built a wooden stand on my property (without permission) must have only wanted to climb a "good tree". Or maybe the veneer trees have better sight lines?

In Vermont, you don't need permission to hunt on someone's land as long as it's not posted. Most of the hunters are very responsible and respectful of the privilege. You do need permission to put up a deer stand, and are supposed to put your name and contact info on it. A friend had ongoing problems with hunters just wandering in and putting deer stands up without permission. They also tended to nail in steps to climb up. She left notes on the stands, hung around waiting for the owner to show up (she never saw one of them). She finally just started stripping the stands down and selling them on eBay.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Knute

Thanks for all the answers. These stands are not mine but belong to my nephews. They know I don't approve, but they leave them there anyway. I will now tell them they may kill the tree and I want the straps loose or the stands removed each year. I recently hit a nail from an old deer stand in a veneer grade red oak which will now be wasted.

Thank You Sponsors!