iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wpc / plastic composite decking vs real hardwood/ wood decking

Started by harrymontana, January 18, 2013, 03:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harrymontana

hello, we are a hardwood mill located in Bolivia producing ipe, brazilian redwood and tigerwood decking and we wonder how you at your end (in the US/ Canada/ UK) look at WPC decking, is this a real threat, maybe not now but later in the future, or is it addional to existing decking due to its pricings, what is according to your opinion the pros and the cons?
everything on hardwood

BaldBob

Pros: Little or no maintenance, Lower life cycle cost, no splinters.
Cons: Higher initial cost, Less visual appeal than real wood.

SwampDonkey

What's it like in the winter with a skiff of snow on it? I think anything plastic with snow in contact is mighty slippery.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

BaldBob

Most are no different then wood in that respect. Also some are available with a non-slip surface.

SwampDonkey

Well vinyl siding took over clap boards and shingles, so I suppose they'll have a crack at the decking now. ;D One thing vinyl did was make a tar paper shack look like a dwelling instead of a horse hovel. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

BaldBob

I have had both wood decking and Trex(one of the higher end composites). While I had to swallow hard on the initial cost, I really liked it, especially the no maintenance part.

chevytaHOE5674

Brother and I built my folks a deck 10 or so year ago with some composite material (geo something was the brand name). Still looks like the day we put it on and no maintenance it has been done other than hosing it off. No different than wood in the snow or rain. They are really happy with it and would use it for another deck any day of the week.

Jeff

Our upper deck that is along the pool is pretty much on it's last legs even thought it has been stained about every other year.. I hate the thought of the cost to replace it, let alone the work. It's wolmanized 5/4 decking put on in 1995. It's had constant abuse from hot southern sun and chlorinated pool water. It probably wasn't the best grade either. If you get in the pool, and look at the end of these 5/4 by 5.5 inch boards, over two thirds of them have the pith right in the middle.

I've been mulling it over what I will replace it with when the time comes.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Wudman

I replaced the front porch decking on my house a couple of years ago using "ChoiceDek" composite from Lowe's.  Composite was the choice of my wife as she wanted the "maintenance free".  I chose an in stock color - slate grey, so that it would be readily available if I wanted to match the rear deck to it.  It looked really nice when it was first installed.  It was about three times the cost of premium (southern yellow pine) decking.  My biggest issue with this particular decking is the difficulty with keeping it clean.  Heavy red clays are prevalent in our neighborhood and it will stick to anything.  This decking tracks terribly.  To clean it, you have to get out the scrub brush and pressure washer.  I ended up putting a gate at the top of the stairs to keep the dogs off of it.  It would track up from them.  The next issue.....my kids were at home one night when they decided to fry some french fries.  My daughter dropped frozen fries (with plenty of ice crystals in them) into the hot grease, which of course went everywhere.  They tried to clean up their mess, so Mom and Dad wouldn't find it.  They started outside with a cast iron frying pan full of grease.  On their way across the porch, a hand was getting a little warm and a pan of hot grease was dumped on the 3 day old deck.  It looked so bad, that I decided to replace those decking boards.  I made a trip back to Lowe's and ventured back to the rack where I had purchased the decking the week before.  The decking I bought was not there.  I walked up to the lumber desk and asked them about it.  It had been discontinued and they had pulled the remaining stock.  I asked if I could get it anywhere else.......Nope.....discontinued.  After calling every store in a 100 mile radius, I did find 3 16 foot boards that had been returned.  I told them to hold them and I would be there in 2 hours.  I got there and the three boards were behind the store.  One of them was broken in half and the other two had been run over with a forklift. They had faded significantly from the sum.  I took them anyway.  They looked better than the greased up ones.  Anyway, I have researched it and found that I can put a water sealer on it.  As soon as the spring of the year rolls around, I will apply water seal to this deck and hopefully make the cleaning a little easier.  As for me, no more composite.  I'll stick with good old southern yellow pine.

Wudman     
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

rooster 58

I have built many decks, with composite and pt wood both. I do not care for the stuff from lowes or h. depot. That stuff is prone to cupping, and fades badly. There are some composites that perform well, but are more expensive. You get what you pay for I guess.
    On the other hand, pressure treated wood isn't too bad if you can keep it out of the sun especially. Pressure washing helps bring back the appearance, and a good sealer is necessary. Also, you can help yourself when selecting the lumber. Stay away from sticks that have pith, and if you can, the ones that look "quarter sawn" on the ends will cup less

Decked

I.ve tried larch...oak.. but nothing beats the recycled diapers in composite decking around the pool :'(

harrymontana

thank you so far for your comments, so the price is higher unless you buy it from the depot centers, and maintenance free. I have to mention that wood is able to be sanded while composite is not, so if you do need to do maintenance, do you replace the entire board, and then the new one will be different to others? I see here a significant disadvantage
everything on hardwood

1270d

I have a friend who put a tigerwood deck on.  It is absolutely beautiful also super smooth.  I think it was more expensive than trex (final cost) due to the invisible anchor system that they used.

Dom

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 18, 2013, 05:26:18 PM
What's it like in the winter with a skiff of snow on it? I think anything plastic with snow in contact is mighty slippery.

My parents had their front deck replaced with composite decking. Yes, it is slippery. It's not so back with snow, but a rain fall or morning frost frost is Fall time catches you by surprise. Aside from that, so far so good.

Thank You Sponsors!