iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My attempt at free hand milling

Started by ManjiSann, September 07, 2019, 09:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManjiSann

I apologize in advance to those of you who are competent and experienced millers... I am neither of those.

A few months ago while perusing the firewood section I saw an add for a huge maple log. The person had just cut down an old tree and had the huge trunk left. It was over 12' long and slightly over 2' diameter at the widest.

On a whim I messaged him but quickly decided I wasn't going to get it as I didn't want to cut it into firewood and I didn't have a ripping chain and wasn't looking to buy one. A week later he messaged me back asking if I was still interested... I figured it was a sign from a wiser power than I so I bought a ripping chain and went to pick it up.

It was a beautiful tree, way to big and heavy for me to manipulate as was so I cut it into 3'-4' lengths which I could load onto my dolly and the homeowner was kind enough to then help me lift into my truck. It was all we could do to get them into my truck and by the time I was done my poor little Chev S-10 did not look happy.

I got home and unloaded them 

A few days later proceeded to "mill" them freehand with my Poulan Pro PR5020 with 20" bar and ripping chain. 

All in all it went decent. I made them pretty thick as I knew there would be some variation due to freehanding it.

Once they are dried I'm planning rip them into 2x2's, glue them together and make a nice bench top out of them for my reloading or gunsmithing bench. 

Thanks,

Brandon
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

Magicman

My thoughts are that your first attempt was a complete success.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lxskllr

ManjiSann

Thanks guys!

All in all for it being my first attempt at milling and doing it without the benefit of jig or mill I think it went quite well.

If it looks like I'll get more good logs I'll have to weld up a jig to help keep things more even and get a chainsaw that can handle a longer bar.

Brandon 

doc henderson

looks like fun and a lot of work.  if you sticker them in the same order and orientation as they came from the log, any twist or wave will compensate and not start multiplying as you go.  you will expect to have some doing freehand.  we with band mills also get some occasional waves ect., and that is how we sticker so a thin spot in one board matches the thick spot left in the next board.  good luck
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

you do what you gotta do.  around here, most of the soft maple winds up in the land fill.  good job for trying to make the best of it, with what tools you have.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

Sounds like to me he had no way to move a 12 foot log without paying someone else to do it. We all have to make do with the tools/money we have.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SawyerTed

+1 on Magicman's comment.  It looks great!   

Woodworking as a hobby is supposed to be fun.  If you had a good time sawing and you got usable material, I say you are very successful!  Keep experimenting, keep it fun and stay safe!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

terrifictimbersllc

Congratulations!  

That's how I cut my first board and got hooked on sawing wood.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

lxskllr

Quote from: doc henderson on September 07, 2019, 10:24:12 AM
you do what you gotta do.  around here, most of the soft maple winds up in the land fill.  good job for trying to make the best of it, with what tools you have.
Aside from that, I hear wood grows on trees. I'm not convinced, but that's what I hear.

ManjiSann

Quote from: thecfarm on September 07, 2019, 10:30:45 AM
Sounds like to me he had no way to move a 12 foot log without paying someone else to do it. We all have to make do with the tools/money we have.
Nope, I don't have the equip to move large logs and it was in a very nice yard which the owner would not have allowed to be torn up by dragging it out (someone offered that option already before I got there.)  
Would have loved longer lengths but it was all we could do to manipulate what we did do. Turned out to be a good thing as trying to mill down longer logs vertically would have been more interesting.
Brandon 

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

RAYAR

You're off to a nice start. You found the bug in those logs. That's just the start. ;)
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

Peter Drouin

Where theres a will there's a way, Good job.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

ManjiSann

Quote from: Southside on September 07, 2019, 07:29:07 PM
Uh oh, he's got the bug... ;D
I hear a kiln helps with "bugs"  ;) ;)
Brandon 

Brad_bb

I see your future.... there's an entry level bandsaw mill...and a log arch, and a home made log arch trailer.....

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

SawyerTed

And a bigger truck, cant hooks, a bigger chainsaw, a solar kiln, a planer/molder.....
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

btulloh

Quote from: SawyerTed on September 08, 2019, 11:07:55 AM
And a bigger truck, cant hooks, a bigger chainsaw, a solar kiln, a planer/molder.....
Yep. It never ends. But that's a good thing. 
Some people think that holding the couch down is good hobby. I doubt any of 'em are members of the FF. 
HM126

doc henderson

Quote from: ManjiSann on September 08, 2019, 09:54:23 AM
Quote from: Southside on September 07, 2019, 07:29:07 PM
Uh oh, he's got the bug... ;D
I hear a kiln helps with "bugs"  ;) ;)
Brandon
the wood will dry faster if you go ahead and cut it into 2x2 sticks if that is the plan.  will need a jointer and planer to get them ready to glue up.  If you are in a bigger city, they may have a wood shop or woodworking guild you could join.  they will teach safety and often have helper to assist and teach you some skills.  most "bugs" do not like dry wood anyway.  If you get the sawing bug, there is no hope.!!! :) :) :)

logman 219

I stand buy my early delete post !! what a wast of a 12 straight log...

Nebraska

Looks like you did well, better than my first attempt is say,   welcome to the fold, keep posting on the progress, there are many worse vices to pickup. 

Southside

It's a 12 step program.  

1) Cut a piece of wood
2) Buy some small equipment
3) Build more equipment
4) Buy BIGGER equipment
5) Attend group support meetings in places like Georgia and Michigan where the "cover story" is educational or food based.
6) You suddenly find an interest in chickens.....

etc., etc,  :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

Quote from: logman 219 on September 08, 2019, 12:28:43 PM
Why?  It could have been firewood or taken to a landfill and buried.  The OP turned the log into material he plans to use.  
Is it any different than it being milled into 2x 12' long boards then cut to 3' or 4' lengths for a project?  Same difference.

Plus he enjoyed the process and learned something.

doc henderson

Quote from: logman 219 on September 08, 2019, 12:28:43 PM
Hey logman, I bet you are a great guy.  We are here to support each other and occ. poke a little fun and learn something.  remember when you text or email stuff, folks do not always know if you are joking or not.  I am like you and can hardly stand to see things go to waste.  i have about 20 maple logs in my yard.  i have a 1 tone dually, a 32 foot goose neck, a 277c track loader, and a b 2000 sawmill.  i am very lucky.  it sounds like our new member is just getting started.  Remember Swearwords are not allowed, and this day in age i think we have to be careful what we say.  I may have overstepped my bounds, but i hope this helps you understand.  @logman 219 

Southside

Doc, in the spirit of things, are those more of those special Kansas Maple logs?  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!