iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Cut 4 nice very dough fir yesterday, 3 were 18' and 1 20'. We cut 2x6's out of one and 4x8 out of the rest for bed rails on the guys dump trucks. He's got a few extra now 😉
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Busysawyer on August 11, 2018, 06:19:25 PM
Nice job there Jim.  Are you selling green lumber or kiln dried on fb market place?
Green and air dried only.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Busysawyer

That's great Jim.  I'm starting to sell some green. 
Slabbed the smallest log from a dead standing maple I got for free from the walnut job I logged. Unfortunately the sapwood was a little punky.  Not sure if anyone will buy these. What do you guys think?

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Jim_Rogers

Some people will buy anything. List is as rare for your area, if it is.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

The only person that would be interested in buying it would be someone that wanted an usually pretty slab for a special project.   thumbs-up
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Busysawyer

Do you guys know if you can epoxy over punky wood?
After the maple I grabbed another walnut log to slab. Really maxed out the mill with this one. A couple cuts were scraping on both sides. Pulled a couple 36in wide slabs out of this one.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Briankinley2004

Quote from: Busysawyer on August 12, 2018, 04:39:26 PM
Do you guys know if you can epoxy over punky wood?
After the maple I grabbed another walnut log to slab. Really maxed out the mill with this one. A couple cuts were scraping on both sides. Pulled a couple 36in wide slabs out of this one. <br

Yes. Be sure to seal the bottom side so it doesn't run you. I have successfully used wax paper and/or blue masking tape. The epoxy is going to find any crack you leave. Epoxy is also good to fill knot holes, pecky cypress and all other sorts of things.

Here is a headboard I built out of pecky cypress. I filled the holes in it along with the posts with table top epoxy then poured the entire pecky panel full of table top epoxy. Made it alot more user friendly for pillows, etc. 

Andries

Busysawyer - we are milling cedar for patio furniture. My thinking was that my circa 1992 LT30 was doing really well with the logs we have.

This is a table top for a table 48" wide and 14' long.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

The pith is centered in these slabs - the checking at the pith was bugging me too much to listen to complaints about wasted jacket boards.  ::)
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

My 26" slabs look downright puny compared to the 36inchers you're milling.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Magicman

:o  Your 26" is a tight squeeze.   :D  Good job. 

Andries

Thanks MM.
It was possible only 'cause that log was near perfect.
Very few knots and almost no taper over the 16 foot length.
Rare!  :o
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Magicman

That plus you did a good setup job.  Hitting the mark is no accident.  :P

Andries

Thanks for the compliment - that means a lot coming from a gentleman that I consider the Guru of Milling !  
June was a big month for the construction crew up here in the glaciated North.

We started on this lovely project a few months ago.

Other than fine tuning, built-in furniture and outdoor furniture, this is almost a wrap!
There's a lot of milling in there. Half logs for roof deck, flooring and outdoor decks. 
The spiral stairs were a challenge. There's not too many out there, and I now know why.  ;D  :D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Crossroads

Looks like a lot going on with that build, would be nice to see more pictures 

Crossroads

A friend stopped but this evening with an 8' black walnut log in the back of his truck and wanted 5/4 slabs

Then on these last 2 I talked him into squaring up the inside edges. 

WDH

Andries,

You continue to amaze me.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

PA_Walnut

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Magicman

Yup, some serious engineering and construction.  Is that a home or ??? ?  I too would love to see some more pictures.  ;)

Busysawyer

Andries,  those pics are amazing. My dream is to live in something like that when I get older.
I'd really like to see some pics of the fire places and chimney.  It looks like that chimeny is huge and i bet the stone work is amazing. 

Magicman

I just noticed that some time this morning this Whatcha Sawin' topic passed one million views.  Wow!!!  8)

YellowHammer

That log home looks incredible!
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!