iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Raised Bed Gardening

Started by Mooseherder, March 09, 2009, 09:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

My parents started a raised bed garden sometime in March (about a month late for our climate).  It is growing vigorously and is not appropriately spaced but is fun to watch grow.  I dumped about a tractor bucket and a half in there from our compost pile.

We should be eating squash very soon.  Not a fan of tomatoes but they should be producing soon as well.  They were started from seeds from some tomatoes that my wife bought in the grocery store that came from Canada.
Caveman
Caveman

sprucebunny

Finally got my new raised beds filled. I've had a few containers at home and wanted something bigger to supplement the large regular garden I have at my woodlot 50 miles north. ( last year rodents of various kinds caused problems)

My house and driveway are on a high pile of fill and there is no even flat-ish land with sun.

Lined with plastic and geotextile.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Weekend_Sawyer

Very nice Joan,

I was planting peppers in mine last night
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SwampDonkey

Nice job on the beds Joan. I like what you did for a base around them to.

Locust for wood?

I have not planted anything yet at the farm garden beds, but I do have taters and onions in the garden here in town. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

Thanks ! I just used PT 2x6 and lined it and there is some of the ¾" crushed stone under the edges of the boxes for drainage.

Last frost was June 8 or something last year so no planting, yet . Need to start work on the big garden, though. Have lots of seedlings started indoors.

I want to build a cover/windbreaker of some kind over them but haven't decide how exactly.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

Some day I will probably stack some timbers like you did for my 3 beds. For now I can still bend down to pull weeds. Actually I don't get many weeds anyway. But being upright is more human than being close to the ground.  That's why I like raspberries, pick'm upright. ;D

What I did one year early was used old windows against the barn on the south. I had beefsteak tomatoes in early July. I had them out in Late April, already in blossom. Kind of like this year since farmers planted fields this year in April. The field across the river is all green with wheat I assume.

I try to hold off with most planting until first weekend in June.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pineywoods

My wife loves flowers. She is confined to a wheelchair full time, so flower beds fall under the category of honey-do's. In a stroke of genius, I built her a couple of raised beds for flowers. Installed them on a concrete porch for easy access and filled with composted sawdust from my sawdust pile. She spends some time every day attending HER flower garden.

Beds are just the right height to access from her wheelchair.
Made from eastern red cedar cut on my woodmizer.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

doc henderson

those look great Piney, glad she has work to do and purpose.   God Bless!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

caveman

Yesterday my mother asked me if I would build her a raised bed in my spare time.  Lately, there has been no time to spare but I sat around on Easter until around 2 p.m. and decided to hook up the $50 CL dust collector to the mill and see if it would keep up.  I cut a 21' log down to 16'6" yesterday to make some 2x4's and decided to use the rest of it to test the dust collector and was going to make stickers out of it and realized it would make some nice 9" short boards.  The dust collector kept up and in about 20-30 more minutes, my mother had a planter to grow sweet potatoes or whatever else she chooses.

She has been in a wheelchair or a walker since Thanksgiving so the raised bed will give her an opportunity to exercise her green thumb.  My two year old grandson was enjoying it for a few minutes this afternoon.

Caveman

Don P

We spent a good bit of today putting fenceposts around the raised beds Michelle and some friends had built at the elementary school. She has been doing afterschool gardening zoom meetings with the kids. Hopefully the treated 4x4's will dry pretty quickly, they would like them painted white and then the kids can paint them with decoration. She picked up 7' deer fencing this past week and will get a screen door for the entrance. Apparently the deer herd in town is something else. I still need to make about 100' of picket fence to surround the net fencing down low.

Mooseherder

I went to 5-gallon pails for Tomato plants 2019 season after seeing the process from an old guy on Youtube wanting to share his wisdom before it was too late.  It worked good so I tried it with Bell peppers also for the 2020 growing season.  Maine has grow your own other stuff so this system was successful also.

Mooseherder

I moved them closer to my waterline and elevated them on some dunnage.   It was great not having to haul water.  As they grew rope twine was used to wrap up the vines to the verticles.  The verticles were great at the end of the season if the plants had to be covered for frost.

SwampDonkey

Just potted my red bells this morning. 8)

SwampDonkey

Awesome tomato vines there Mooseherder. 8)

Mooseherder

Talk about nice.  You're on it SD.
Gardening is great for the soul.

SwampDonkey

I kinda jumped into it a little early, but I want some nice big bells to set into the ground in June. Our season as you know is tough to eek out 120 good heat days, but last summer was sure hot enough. I did have to haul water from the creek and I never water from well. It's amazing how much water a small garden can eat up. :D

Mooseherder

Looks like your weather is a month ahead this season.  

SwampDonkey

It is certainly possible that grain will go in this month. Snowed an inch last night but raining now and warm all week. I looked at the potato fields around here yesterday and no big muck holes on the best ground and no snow on the edges, so certainly possible to plant in 2 weeks. Not garden stuff though. ;D

doc henderson

we have some Bermuda in one raised bed.  I do not use herbicides in a garden.  I think I will cover with plastic and see if I can germinate weed seeds so they do not come up in the garden.  any trick for grasses.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

I put a piece of clear plastics over a small section of grass. Don't really know the correct name, but has white roots. Can and does shoot out a new plant along these white roots about every 4 inches. Break those roots with a tiller, each broke off piece will grow.  :(  :o  >:(  
But I could not grow anything in that area for a season. I cooked the ground. I put rocks around the edges to hold the plastic in place. Does not take long for things to turn brown under it.
I did work on one area that has the same grass, I just dug it up and threw it on an area that I was filling in. That stuff does grow!! I had to go back and re-dig in places that I had dug it out. Took me a few years to get rid of it. I tried the plastic and that seem to work in one year.
A high content of vinegar will slow it down too. Not the canning type, need a higher content of vinegar to really work.

Use that black poly to increase the yield of peppers!! Think I said this before. The guy I got this idea from laid black poly down than ran it up against the pool and than put the peppers in black buckets. First time he did this, he was gone for a day and cooked the peppers plants.

swampdonkey is right on big peppers plants. I buy mine, but have put them into the ground blossomed and having little peppers on them all ready. I get stocks the size of my thumb and woody. I have to put tomato cages around my peppers plants to keep them from falling over from the weight of the peppers.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Da garden got planted this morning.

Six Mater plants.   materhead
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Quote from: thecfarm on April 07, 2021, 06:44:06 AM
I put a piece of clear plastics over a small section of grass. Don't really know the correct name, but has white roots. Can and does shoot out a new plant along these white roots about every 4 inches. Break those roots with a tiller, each broke off piece will grow.  
We call it couch (kootch) grass. If ya have trouble getting green, just grow that stuff. :D

Barn yard grass is a menace to, I have one bed that keeps germinating in, don't let that stuff seed. I think one plant must make 1000 seeds and the plant can be small and seed to. :D I like peat mulch around plants, have hardly a weed around the onion bulbs.

My bells have doubled in 3 days. :) The place smells like tomatoes. :D

DeerMeadowFarm

I've been using old fridges/freezers for raised beds for a couple of years now. We just changed the layout this year. We used to have Rabbit fencing on metal stakes (you can see it rolled up) and no stones in the garden area. We had a low 12'x4' raised bed as well but grass clippings and weeds would get in there so we made it bigger (24' x 36') added weed guard and stone, put in cedar posts and 2' high galvanized panels. The rabbit fencing will go above that. I will most likely add the low bed in there again as well and I have plenty of room for more frezzers/fridges!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!