iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gardening, 2012

Started by Okrafarmer, April 04, 2012, 09:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

The spinosad looks interesting, I'm going to order some to try out. I try to be as organic as possible in our garden sans the sweet corn. But sometimes it's a matter of whether I eat or the bugs do so I have to use insecticides. We have cutworms bad and certain things like tomatoes and watermelon have to be treated or they get every one of them.

Our sweet corn got put in a little over a week ago after finishing up with the  last pass spraying field corn. My buddy stopped and had the ag place put in 20 gallons of uan28 in his big sprayer. Called me up and asked if I wanted my sweet corn patch sprayed, well heck yes! Turned out his 80' booms were just the right width so all he had to do was drive up and back three times to put on the fertilizer and herbicide. I told Patty that it wouldn't be truly organic this year and her comment was "oh well you have to die of something!".  :D

Banjo picker

Mine is organic if you don't count a little sevin dust...something was eating on the okra...Really not big enough to count as a garden at all...but it is doing well...Its been took over by the squash and zucanni...evediently they love horse manure...Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Banjo picker

Here is a pic I took this morning.

Not much room to get around, but we are limited on space.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WDH

Your squash looks like mine.  One nice thing is that they shade out the weeds, somewhat.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Banjo picker

They also shade out the onions and the cucumbers if they can...but the cucks have found the wire...I did lop off a couple of leaves on one of them this evening...hope it don't hurt it too much...First time I ever pruned squash...But its the first time I ever staked okra either...had a pretty good wind the other day and blew 4 or 5 of the little fellows over...We tried the zucannie gratted and fried like salmon patties for supper...it was very good...Banjo

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Norm on June 02, 2012, 07:36:39 AM
The spinosad looks interesting, I'm going to order some to try out. I try to be as organic as possible in our garden sans the sweet corn. But sometimes it's a matter of whether I eat or the bugs do so I have to use insecticides.

Well you might be happy to know that spinosad can be obtained that is completely organic. The active ingredient is derived from a natural bacterium (just like Bt), but the carriers may or may not be "organic", which determines whether or not the insecticide is considered organic. Either way, you're getting a very safe and highly effective pesticide that is much less risky to non-target insects than most insecticides. We used it for armyworms when I worked for Bartlett, and it worked very well as a low concentration spray. I have high hopes for my squash next year :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Okrafarmer

My garden is in slow motion-- corn, tomatoes, okra, potatoes, all are almost, almost, almost ready. And have been for a week.  :-\  I think I can pick the first few okras tomorrow. Star of David variety, I love that one. Stowell's Evergreen corn, this will be the first successful run for that variety for me. Rutgers and Golden Jubilee tomatoes are looking nice but haven't begun to turn color yet. At least I got to harvest some of my Kamut wheat today. I have tons of volunteer tomatoes popping up all over, and about 20 more that were given to me to plant. Those are behind the Rutgers and GJ's timewise, but from soon to the end of the season we ought to be swimming in tomatoes.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WildDog

Not much happening in our vege patch, only Fordhook Giant silver beat ( I left the gate unlatched, my horse got in and trimmed/ate/squashed a lot including the last of the Kale :() We've had a couple of minus 10 deg celcius here this last week, shortest day of the year today (I know because its my wife B'day).

On th positive side, we have been collecting cattle, horse manure, piling it up on the vegetable beds and adding compost worms and covering in lucerne chaff so should have some nice beds when spring comes.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Okrafarmer

Happy solstice, WildDog! May your days grow longer for the next 6 months!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Dodgy Loner

We've have been on a steady diet of freshly grown produce for the last 6 weeks. I get a handful of tomatoes every day, the first two rows of snap beans have bean pulled up more more will come in next week, the peppers are finally starting to produce, the squash and zucchini are producing again after being attacked by the squash borers. Last night my wife and I froze 30 ears of sweet corn. We saved two for later this week and had two for supper last night. In a couple of weeks, my black-eyed peas will need picking and the acorn squash will start to ripen. I love gardening season! Especially in South Mississippi! In North Georgia, I would just now be thinking about digging up some potatoes :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Riggs

Any of you folks ever grow round zucchini. They look like mini watermelons. We are covered up in them. I have eat them every way you could think of.

Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

sandhills

Apparently it's definitely zucchini then  ;D.  I prefer mine sliced thin and cooked on the grill after marinating for a few hours.  I lost my uncles recipe for the marinade and haven't needed it yet this year, need to give him a call.

thecfarm

I grew the round ones a few years back. I was picking them about the size of a baseball. I grew a bunch of different types. But I found out out customers like the old stand by of the narrow green zucchini. I'm in Maine,mine are just starting to blossom. Looks like the string beans are ready.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

OneWithWood

No need to grow zuchs myself.  The neighbors are always trying to bless me with their over abundance every year.  Of course being a good neighbor I never say no.   
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

WDH

I like zucchini sliced up and sauteed with onions, garlic, and olive oil.  That is a summer treat.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Riggs

Quote from: WDH on July 06, 2012, 08:22:30 PM
I like zucchini sliced up and sauteed with onions, garlic, and olive oil.  That is a summer treat.

That's my favorite way too, pretty DanG good breaded and fried though.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Mooseherder

Quote from: WDH on July 06, 2012, 08:22:30 PM

My favorite also. :)

Patty

My favorite is zucchini cake and zucchini bread. Man they are some good!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Riggs

Patty my wife makes what she call zucchini pie, it is delicious.  :)

I picked the last of our green beans last night we ended up with 17-18 gallons picked, not sure how much that will be once they are broke and put up. Not much on canning, we freeze ours.

Norwood ML 26

Patty

Frozen zucchini works really well. Just grate it and put it into baggies. I premeasure it in the amounts needed for my recipes, and that makes it simple to use throughout the year.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Thank You Sponsors!