iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My very first wack of logs

Started by Crusarius, February 19, 2018, 06:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

Woodmizer sells scales that give a board of either 1 1/4 or 1  inch that have an adhesive back.   I put them on an aluminum yardstick that attaches to my mill.  The kerf is already figured in on them.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Darrel

Quote from: KirkD on February 19, 2018, 07:22:44 PM
Quote from: Crusarius on February 19, 2018, 07:15:43 PM
yea. I was thinking about building a bigger trailer with a slight V to is specifically for logs. Make it deck over with stake pockets for loading ramps on either side and winch mount. The V would help keeping the logs from rolling right off the other side.

Could be a pain if I want to use the trailer for stacking skids though. I think I could make it work.

Of course I still only have a half ton so that would need to get upgraded to.
Log trucks are flat across the bed but have arms to keep them from rolling off. Besides at some point you want them to roll off. :D
I've never seen a log truck with a bed. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 20, 2018, 11:20:24 AM
Jim, does your scale have markings on the back? Both the '92 and '94 mills I've run had two types of scales.
I got several scales. The original one had the decal blow off while driving down the road one day. I am using a back up scale, now.
I bought one that was suppose to be for hardwood, I think, if I remember correctly. But I'm not totally sure. As far as I can tell there are none on the back side of either of these sliding scales.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

FLPINERAT

Quote from: Darrel on February 20, 2018, 11:54:38 AM
Hmm...that get's the design gremlins stir'n

Longitudinal rails above the tires..vertical rail supports drop down on 1 side, side mounted winch on the other. Same kinda deal as loading a sawmill. Just be tough to get the logs winched to stack on the trailer, higher the winch mount the easier??

Crusarius

I can't build a single purpose anything. If I built a trailer for fetching logs it would also be for hauling my toys or anything else.

Money and space is far to scarce to have purpose built anything.

Southside

Quote from: FLPINERAT on February 20, 2018, 02:34:31 PM
Quote from: Darrel on February 20, 2018, 11:54:38 AM
Hmm...that get's the design gremlins stir'n

Longitudinal rails above the tires..vertical rail supports drop down on 1 side, side mounted winch on the other. Same kinda deal as loading a sawmill. Just be tough to get the logs winched to stack on the trailer, higher the winch mount the easier??
Not to mention completely DOT non compliant. Those break away type bolsters used to be the thing a while back, but far too many guys got killed because of them.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

starmac

I think they are still actually legal though, I don't know of anybody that wants to use them.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

YellowHammer

Quote from: Crusarius on February 20, 2018, 02:37:06 PM
I can't build a single purpose anything. If I built a trailer for fetching logs it would also be for hauling my toys or anything else.

Money and space is far to scarce to have purpose built anything.
Me too. I use mine for lots of things including hauling hay, moving farm equipment, and lots of logs and lumber.  I agree on the tripping bolsters, they can fail and kill someone.  Safety when hauling is top priority.  My system is full welded with reinforced joints and heavy steel.  A while ago, another Forum member refitted his trailer with these bunks and was in a serious wreck while hauling logs.  They logs stayed put and never moved.  I've known Glenn1 for years, he's a great guy.  I was very happy things turned out well for him and nobody got hurt.

Here's a link to the thread.
My Trip Down the Mountain in Sawmills and Milling
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

btulloh

Quote from: Crusarius on February 20, 2018, 02:37:06 PMI can't build a single purpose anything. If I built a trailer for fetching logs it would also be for hauling my toys or anything else.

What yellowjammer said. A flatbed can be whatever it needs to be for the job at hand.  I don't like deckovers because of the higher cg.  Putting some 4x4s across the bed keeps the logs above the wheels and lets the forks get under the logs. I set a 6x6 on the outsides and strap the whole thing.  Never had any dot issues. Of course I usually only have one layer plus maybe a couple smaller logs on top.  That's all the weight my 16ft can handle.
HM126

starmac

I am the other way around, I have a 20 foot car trailer, an 18 foot lowboy equipment trailer and a 20 foot deckover equipment trailer, I hauled one load on the lowboy trailer and anymore hauled will be on the deckover.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Thank You Sponsors!