iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

using the chain brake saved my arm

Started by rebocardo, June 28, 2007, 09:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebocardo

When I first got my Poulan Wildthing , I use to set the chain brake with my wrist because it seemed a poor idea to walk with a running chainsaw with your finger near the trigger in case you fell.

After seeing that the technique was being taught in the GOL, I have tried to make it a good habit. So, I usually set the brake when bucking, even if I am walking only a few feet if I am working in an urban setting with a lot of vines.

I was working in a yard covered with vines and bush stumps. I don't know what hole I stepped in, but, it caused me to trip with one foot and step on some bush stumps with the other, and my legs were so tired when I tried to lift one, I stumbled and went down. The saw in front of me sideways, and I landed on top of the saw with my arm. I just missed the muffler.

The customer saw it and walked up to me to see if I was alright and said "you are lucky you set that brake thing before you fell" I don't even remember doing it - must have been habit when I was getting off my knees from the bucking.

This was all I got, it could have been much worse then the cuts from the tooth and raker. No sewing or super glue needed, yahoo! Basically called it a day after that.

Dave Shepard

Glad you are OK! I, too have gotten in the habit of clicking the brake on whenever I move, it is just to easy not to. I broke the handle off of my Husky 66 this spring. The guy I was working for thought it would be a good idea to keep sawing. I didn't. I got my 036 instead, slower, but safer.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sawguy21

That flag is there for a reason. I am really glad you are o.k.  8) An older gentleman wanted me to remove the chain brake on a new saw before he bought it, said it got in his way and was a DanG nuisance. I said no and he left without the saw but that's good.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

scsmith42

John, glad to hear that you're ok.  That little episode just underscores that things can jump up and bite you when you least expect it, and developing little habits like setting the chain brake make a heck of a lot of sense.

Take care.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

rebocardo

Yep, thanks, I am okay.  8)

Just thought my scrapes might save someone else an arm because it is one of those things they do not mention in chainsaw manuals.

> I said no and he left without the saw but that's good.

Oh yea, especially when you consider what would happen if he hurt himself.  Though you could always mark his invoice "for off-road use only"    :D

Kind of reminds me of the post about the guy with one arm that wanted a saw mod.

theorm

When I was growing up on the farm and the firewood duties fell in my lap, the chainsaw did not have a chain brake. Not having used a chainsaw in 40 years a long time, I assumed that the chain brake was only used during starting the saw. Setting the brake while moving between cuts makes a huge amount of sense. Talk about a light bulb going on! John, sorry that you had to take a fall, but you just saved a few of us from serious injury. Ya never know what this forum is going to teach you.

Theo smiley_sidelightbulb
The essence of loyalty is reciprocity.

Frickman

Glad you're OK. I went through Game of Logging in 1994, and you're right, setting the brake is taught when moving with the saw. We learned that if you take more than two steps, set the brake. I got in the habit too and I'm certain it has saved me from injury.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!