iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shop is coming along

Started by Crossroads, October 24, 2018, 10:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Ten days ago I started framing the shop, it actually went pretty fast. It was a big help and time saver that I was able to frame and sheet the walls on the ground and have a self loader log truck come in and stand them up. Yesterday some guys from church came over to help set the trusses and that was huge. First the truck was late, then he could only make it about half way in my driveway pulling the trailer with the trusses. So, we ended up swinging the trusses off his trailer into my dump truck to get them to the work site. Then he brought the truck/crane in an flew the trusses up one at a time while we set them. I've been worried that I wasn't going to get the roof on before the snow comes and also that I wouldn't be able to get the roof on so I could leave to go elk hunting next weekend, but with the help I've received and the times I've needed it most, it's starting to look like I might get to go....

https://youtu.be/ZBvdB9sSL04
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Skipper11A

Nice video.  Don't you have any level ground in Idaho?

Crossroads

Quote from: Skipper11A on October 26, 2018, 08:54:31 PM
Nice video.  Don't you have any level ground in Idaho?
Lol, the only flat places on my place are man made and there isn't enough yet. This spring I'll rent a backhoe or a cat and get serious about making a place to set up my mill and have logs delivered. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Ianab

Reminds me of my old place. 330 acres, with maybe 10 that you could cut hay on, and that wasn't flat, just level enough that you could make hay.  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

bandmiller2

Anyone building a shop would be wise to insulate it well, not only for heat but to prevent condensation and rust on machinery with changing temperatures. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Crossroads

Yeah, it will probably end up insulated eventually, but for now my I'll just be happy to get the roof finished this week. 

Crossroads

Been pretty busy the last few days trying to get this thing dried in. 

https://youtu.be/w_ikNcirLNc

Crossroads

Yesterday I got some steel on the roof, but I couldn't quite beat the rain. It's raining pretty good this morning and I don't think I can get any more done today safely. 

https://youtu.be/gZyLGA1ItKg

crowhill

It's looking good! Coming together really nice.
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Crossroads

Thank you, it rained most of the day today, so I hauled some rock and then went hunting this evening.

KirkD

Looks like you could use a set of scaffolding.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

charles mann

Looking good. 
Its nice to have people that can come help. I just dried my "shop" in last weekend. I took 2 20' containers and set them 16' apart, hung 2 34' x 6" i-beams and welded in the perlins. I finally got the R-panels on just before the weather hit. Wasnt expecting high winds, but glad they came. I forgot to screw down some of the roofing, so in 20 mph wind and heavy rain, i figured screwing them down was better than letting the wind tear up my many days of labor. 
I was going to post my own thread, along with my mill build. But my wife decided to wash my phone last night and i hadnt backed it up in a bit over 2 wks. Lost a good bit of the building stage of my shop. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

jwade

charles man, i would really like to have seen the pictures of your build. i was thinking of something similar.

Skipper11A

Looking good Crossroads!  In Texas we usually only frame roofs for houses like that, but with your snow load I'm sure that your local building practices are quite different than ours.

PAmizerman

Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

charles mann

Quote from: jwade on November 04, 2018, 07:03:00 PM
charles man, i would really like to have seen the pictures of your build. i was thinking of something similar.
I just landed in portland oregon, so it'll be a couple weeks before im back in texas. Ill get some of the finished product for ya. 
Temple, Tx

Crossroads

Quote from: charles mann on November 04, 2018, 06:05:08 PM
Looking good.
Its nice to have people that can come help. I just dried my "shop" in last weekend. I took 2 20' containers and set them 16' apart, hung 2 34' x 6" i-beams and welded in the perlins. I finally got the R-panels on just before the weather hit. Wasnt expecting high winds, but glad they came. I forgot to screw down some of the roofing, so in 20 mph wind and heavy rain, i figured screwing them down was better than letting the wind tear up my many days of labor.
I was going to post my own thread, along with my mill build. But my wife decided to wash my phone last night and i hadnt backed it up in a bit over 2 wks. Lost a good bit of the building stage of my shop.
When you can, it would be nice to see some pictures of your project, it sounds interesting. 
I have some temporary scaffolding made and set up on one side, but right now, it's not really helpful. Once I start siding, it's probably going to get a lot more use though. 
The project kinda stalled last week, after going over a month without taking a day off, I decided to take advantage of that last Oregon resident elk I had in my pocket and go hunting. I threw a folding bed, a 2 burner propane cook stove and a small wood stove in my enclosed utility trailer. Then after a 7 hour drive I cut a hole in the roof and set up the wood stove 👍🏻. I only got to hunt 3 days and it was tough hunting (utv's have invaded a big roadless area) and I didn't see an elk, but enjoyed some time alone and some time with my hunting partner. Now it time to get back to work. 

charles mann

Quote from: Crossroads on November 08, 2018, 12:17:53 PM
Quote from: charles mann on November 04, 2018, 06:05:08 PM
Looking good.
When you can, it would be nice to see some pictures of your project, it sounds interesting.
I have some temporary scaffolding made and set up on one side, but right now, it's not really helpful. Once I start siding, it's probably going to get a lot more use though.
The project kinda stalled last week, after going over a month without taking a day off, I decided to take advantage of that last Oregon resident elk I had in my pocket and go hunting. I threw a folding bed, a 2 burner propane cook stove and a small wood stove in my enclosed utility trailer. Then after a 7 hour drive I cut a hole in the roof and set up the wood stove 👍🏻. I only got to hunt 3 days and it was tough hunting (utv's have invaded a big roadless area) and I didn't see an elk, but enjoyed some time alone and some time with my hunting partner. Now it time to get back to work.
It'll be a bit. Just got called up for a new fire in the state of jefferson, just north of california. 
It'll be either 1 more, or if possible, 2 more wks before i'll be back hm. But i WILL get yaw pics. 
Temple, Tx

Crossroads

Things warmed up a bit this afternoon and I decided to take advantage of it. Got my harness rigged, screw gun and screws and the trim for the gable end. That piece went so well, I left my screw gun on top and went to get more trim. About the time I got safely to the ground, it started snowing. So, I thought "well, if I have to go get the gun, I might as well put one more section of trim on"   I got up the ladder and pushed the trim up on the roof ahead of me. By this time there's already a 1/2" of snow on the roof. So, I left the trim and went in a rescue mission for the screw gun. Straight to the top, shimmy the full length of the shop, grab the gun, carefully turn around and head back to my bail off rope. That's when my dear wife comes out and hollers up at me "do you want me to bring you a coat"? I told her thank you, but the only thing I need is to get down without dying. Sure glad I took all those high angle rescue classes over the last 20 years. This self rescue went off without a hitch 👍🏻

Runningalucas

Looking good, I was up in Sandpoint this evening, then back to Spokane.  Looks like the entire area got about 2, or so inches of snow fall. 

Getting it done before the mess is such a good feeling! lol
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Crossroads

Yes it is, if I can just get the finishing touches done and a wood stove set up, I think we'll be pretty cozy

charles mann

here are some pics of my conex shop build. nothing fancy, just roof over my head and a place to store my tools. Luckily, the horizontal hole in a conex can't be seen clearly. I thought i had room, but didn't, and my tractor bucket decided to open an vent hole.

@Crossroads 

Temple, Tx

Crossroads

Thanks for sharing your project pictures! 

We have the shop all closed in (tarp for a garage door) and hooked up the waste oil stove, but it's not putting out as much heat as I remember. However, I am trying to heat a larger area in colder outside temps. Not to mention, it's just sheeted and not sided or insulated yet. 

charles mann

Iv got a big masters DF/Kerosene forced air heater for warmth. But it yet has gotten cold enough to use it. The past couple yrs, late dec, early jan, we have gotten temps in the 20s and last year, my spare bathroom plumbing froze and busted. Im not going through that this year. i will plumb in the air heater to keep my plumbing warm.
I will be doing the smilar as you, putting up a cavas tarp, but i first need to close up the gap between the perlins and conex and wall in the back.
Temple, Tx

Crossroads

Here is where we're at, the actual door is 18'6"x14'8" with essentially the only self milled wood being the 4x12 header. On the right is a temporary 8' wide wall and on the left is a temporary 6' header spanning the other 10'6". Trying to make it as weather tight as I can and still be able to move the tractor in and out. 

I fired up the oil burner again today and had it cranking out more heat, then the needle valve got partially plugged and slowed the flow down. Now I need to come up with a filter system to keep the valve clear...

Thank You Sponsors!