iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pingree Park Colorado Seminar

Started by JoeyLowe, September 12, 2004, 09:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeyLowe

Well here I am in Pingree Park, Co.  It is the first day of the Design and Joinery Seminar and it is too cold!  I'll keep you guys posted on the progress of the seminar.  It appears that it is going to be a fun seminar!
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

jerry-m

Thanks Joey,

Looking forward to your reports... Don't forget the pictures ;D

Take care and above all stay warm and send some of that cool this way...  

Jerry
Jerry

Jim_Rogers

Joey:
How was the drive up from TX?
Did it take as long as you expected?
Did you run into any rain?
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

JoeyLowe

No rain on the trip up.  Has rained every day since being here.  A cold rain with lots of lightening and thunder. The drive took 14 hours.  Longest part of drive was through Kansas.  Almost stopped in Hayes to see the world's largest prarie dog. They claim it weighs 8000 lbs.  :D  

1st day of class started strong but finished with a lot of boredom.  Instructor focused too much on a computer program that was not doing what he wanted to.  More to come along with photos. ;D
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

JoeyLowe

Well this is my last official day of class.  I have learned alot about design and beam sizing here and will have lots to report once I get back to civilization. 8)
--
Joey Lowe

JoeyLowe

Okay, the wait is over.  Thought I should bring everyone up to speed on this particular seminar.  First and foremost, you could not beat the scenary.  Colorado is truly a beautiful state.  

After arriving in Ft. Collins, Co., I was instructed to go to the Rocky Mountain Workshop coordinator's home and wait for other students to arrive.  Peter Haney, the coordinator, was a most gracious host and had plenty of food and drink available upon arrival.  The weather was beautiful and we waited there until late in the afternoon when it became apparent that all had arrived.  Our goal was to carpool as many people up the mountain as we could.  For those who don't know, Ft. Collins is a comfortable little college town with all of the amenities of a much larger place.

The trip up to Pingree Park took awhile.  I would estimate it was about 1 1/2 hours to the actual park.  The trip was fabulous though.  As we wound our way through the mountains, we were followed by the Pudre (pronounced pooder) River.  The road was easy to drive, just a lot of curves and the mountain gently lifted you up in altitude and before you know it, you are a long ways up.  Total trip was about 30 miles to the Pingree Park turnoff.

Once we got the turnoff, the road stopped abruptly and we were left with a gravel narrow road on up to the park.  That road is 16 miles long and at dark, it is impossible to see.  There were a lot of switchback curves and wildlife was too numerous to count.

After arriving, we checked in that main office (located in the dining hall) and were assigned to a cabin.  As you can see, I was put down with the other ner do wells.

--
Joey Lowe

Thank You Sponsors!