iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The days before Christmas

Started by Jeff, December 19, 2001, 12:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

In 1944 as a young Army Air corpman listened to the wind whistling past the bullet holes in the B17 that now punctuated its right side, he remembered his promise of several days earlier. On a similar flight he had promised God that if returned safely to his young family, that he would follow any path in which the lord would lead, and for the next 50 years he did so without fail.

Christmas was a special time for the corpman and his family, celebrating each one with his wife and 3 young daughters and then eventually at the age of 40 a son and another daughter.  One of the traditions the corpman had was to relate to his family what he called "God's version" of the Night before Christmas. Eventually the son would continue to share the story with his family and friends.

And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of Syria. And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city. And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem because he was of the house and lineage of David To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.

And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered. And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

I love you Dad and I miss you.
Merry Christmas everyone.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

timberbeast

Poignant,  and touching..............
Where the heck is my axe???

DanG

What a wonderful story, Jeff, and Thank you for sharing it with us.

Merry Christmas
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

I wanted to bring this up where it belongs. Merry Christmas folks!

Tom

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

whitepe

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

RavioliKid

RavioliKid

Jeff

I wanted to bring this up for my Dad.

Fla._Deadheader

I'd say ya done just fine, Boss.

:D Merry Christmas to one and all.  :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Patty

Nice story Jeff...thank you for sharing.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

EZ

Thank you, Jeff and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

My dad was tuff on me in my earlier years but I love him and miss him also.
EZ

WoodSmith

Thanks for posting that for all to share in, its a blessing

The Bible says that we are to honor or Father and Mother.
You bring much honor to the Brokaw name. (seriously)

Merry Christmas to you and your family Jeff  

And Happy Birthday Jesus

fstedy

Family traditions are wonderful, they bind the generations together. To all MERRY CHRISTMAS.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Grawulf

You're the man Jeff - God's blessings on you and your household. I'm prayin' that He touches your shoulder in a way that amazes you. A very merry Christmas to you and to each one on this forum!  May He come close!            
                                     Devan

sandmar

Thanks for sharing Jeff,
What a great tribute to your Dad! Also a glimpse of what makes you the man you are today. Tis true the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Sandmar

UNCLEBUCK

Merry Christmas Jeff .  Thanks for not turning me into a pumpkin and I promise to never tangle with the boys in the kiln drying section again !   :-X
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Percy

Heya Jeff,
Thanks for the story. The true meaning of Christmas can easily get lost these days. The guy in the B17 was your dad?? ???

Merry Christmas everyone.....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

DanG

Thanks for bringing this back to the top again, Big Guy. It's becoming a ForestryForum tradition, too. :)

Merry Christmas, all!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Woodcarver

Thanks, Jeff. I lost my dad, who was also a WWII, vet in the spring of this year. He is gone, but still with us this holiday season.

Merry Christmas everyone and God Bless......  
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

TN_man

I too am thankful for my Dad and the Christain hertiage and legacy that he left for us kids. In our home Christmas never became about us but was always about what God did for us.
I can only hope that my kids look back at their memories of Christmas as a magical time where family and God were really important to me.
Thanks for sharing the story, Jeff
Merry Christmas to all my FF brothers and sisters 8)
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

SwampDonkey

Brought even a tear to the SwampDonkey. I used to read that at the christmas concert in church, as a young whipper snapper. Merry Christams all. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

redpowerd

kinda puts santa in his place, eh?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Roxie

Say when

Timber_Framer

Thanks for the story Jeff.
My Grandfather was in a German POW camp for one Christmas and the only thing he ever shared about that experience was singing "Oh Tannenbaum" along with his captors that Christmas eve. Every year before we opened presents we sang Oh Christmas Tree in English followed by the German version. He could never finish the song without a flood of tears. He died in 82 but we still sing both versions of the song each year, now I can't hold back the flood of tears.
Merry Christmas all!
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Thank You Sponsors!