Sponsors:

Mushrooms ?

Started by Autocar, April 13, 2019, 06:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Any body finding any ? 
Bill

bluthum

If you are talking specifically morels I've been finding them here for a couple weeks but it hasn't been a very great year thus far.  Still time in the season though and we are in the middle of a big rain event. Hope to pick a few more tomorrow.

Skip

No morels yet ,but ramps are up and looking good had some this morning with scrambled eggs . :)

Ruffgear

None in MN, we just got a foot of snow😫

Ron Scott

A little early here also. Richwood WVA had its annual community Ramp Feed yesterday.
~Ron

twar

Mushrooms are a late summer/fall thing here (Norway), but (our version of) ramps have started to pop up. 

AZ_builder

How do you tell the good from the bad? I hear of people harvesting them here in az but I don't know enough to trust myself. Even with a book.

Ruffgear

The spore Shadow is maybe the most accurate way.  some mushrooms are hard to mess up, start with those. I like to pick some bring them home and attempt to identify. It is a bit scary to eat one you have never tried.

Ron Scott

I've always been told that the best way is to feed them to your cat first and if the cat doesn't die, they're ok to eat. ;)
~Ron

maple flats

I will be looking for morels next week. One of my sugar bushes has them in spots, I usually find them as I pull the maple taps there.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

sawguy21

Quote from: Ron Scott on April 15, 2019, 05:18:58 PM
I've always been told that the best way is to feed them to your cat first and if the cat doesn't die, they're ok to eat. ;)
:D :D All are edible, some only once. Although I really like fresh mushrooms I don't pick either. Leave it to the pros.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

wesdor

I watch the lilac bushes. When they start to bloom then it is time to look for morels. 
I think we are at least two weeks away. Last year was a pretty good year and I hope this year is at least that good. 

trapper

Quote from: wesdor on April 15, 2019, 10:36:01 PM
I watch the lilac bushes. When they start to bloom then it is time to look for morels.

That is also the time when the white bass run up the rivers to spawn here. 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

btulloh

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 15, 2019, 09:08:56 PMAll are edible, some only once.

That's a rule I can live by . . .
HM126

Woodcutter_Mo

Found 1 morel late last week but didn't have time to look much. Today I found 80-90 but had to leave quite a few that were already too old and mush or dried out. I wish I checked better last week lol. Still brought home a good batch though. It's been pretty good weather for them here though the ground got a little dry last week.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Chuck White

Wanting to know the difference between the MOREL and the FALSE MOREL.

I think I have it, but not sure!

The cap on the MOREL is fastened to the stem at the bottom, and the cap on the FALSE MOREL is fastened to the stem up inside!

Is that correct?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ron Scott

Yes, that is correct.
~Ron

Chuck White

Thanks Ron, appreciate the response!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Autocar

We found 53 grays this weekend in southern Indiana . 
Bill

Woodcutter_Mo

Found a double morel the other day.

-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Jimor22

Still to early here in Connecticut, but I plan to go out looking after our first warm rain.  We don't usually find many around here.  We have much more luck with chicken of the woods and hen of the woods. 
Very cool pic of the twin morels! 
Good hunting all.

Autocar

I got a call this morning from a friend in southern Indiana telling me he had found 40 plus yellow morels around poplar trees [ yellow poplar ].We don't have poplar where I am located but so far here in western Ohio it's a bummer unless your looking for standing water and mud .
Bill

Bricklayer51

Any one in Michigan finding any?

hacknchop

I'm not bright enough to pick mushrooms my friends from Ohio on the other hand seem to find them we have a lot of red oak which my friends say can be used to grow mushrooms ? 
Often wrong never indoubt

DPatton

I We finally got some rain so Jesse and I decided to give a little mushroom hunt a try this evening. Found a few single morels like this one first.

Then found some Dryad's Saddle mushrooms like below. Also known as Pheasant Back or Hawk Wing.

Then Jesse and I finished out the search with this little group of morels.

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Thank You Sponsors!