iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tank heater

Started by FFLM, January 04, 2012, 05:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFLM

madmari or anyone using a tank heater, how long is it taking to heat up your 208 (detroit) when it is cold single digeit temps?   I have a 208 with a 353 and want to get away from using starting fluid. Im not big on putting hoses on my truck, any ideas?  This topic comes up every year and everyone seems to have a few new ideas.
Put a tank heater (2000 watt) in the 208 as she was having a hard time at single digit temps
fflm
208 Jack, 372's and F450 Stroker

timbuck2

I put in a block heater years ago, either plug it in here or use a 2000 watt Honda, takes about an hour, starts like summertime.

jocco

FFlm I hate to argu but the hoses on the truck seem to be the fastest most efficient.  ;D The heater and generator will work (if you are near a building with electricity it is a good option. But why carry all that around??? I have seen some heater that was propane fired (most of the skidders burned up that had it on them) smiley_devil_trident One guy built a tank with hoses and a pump 12v that circulated the fluid while he heat it with a large blow torch. teeter_totter Lastl i have seen those cyclone heater (used to warm up aircraft engine) Went through this years ago fellow said if you bought a DEERE it would start and you would not need a truck load of junk to start it I think he was right smiley_devilish
You may check out but you will never leave

Decked

I don't wanna argue either, but, I tapped into the heater lines with ball valves on my truck, used hydraulic quick connects for the connections. With the ball valves, I could just crack them open at first so as to not get a big rush of cold water coming back into the truck. Dodge diesel, & put 278,000 on it with no problems.

Hook up...crack the valves for 10 min...open the valves..have a cup of coffee...snow melts off the hood...go to work...all in 20-30 minutes.

That being said, I suppose the newer trucks have all that computer BS nonsense on them...

Another option is a "Hot Box"...same setup, except the heater unit is portable ,& can ride around in the back of the pickup with all the rest of the junk..!

here's one that googled up..
http://www.competitionengineheaters.com/works.html

JDeere

FFLM, I struggled with what to do to insure my skidder would start every day when the temps dropped. I talked to every logger I know and from what I can tell, the Espar is the best unit for me. It is a small hydronic heater fueled by either diesel or kerosene and it is mounted in the engine compartment of the skidder. You program it for what days and times you want it to come on. For example, if you plan on arriving at the job at 5:30AM you set it to start at 4:00AM and the skidder starts like it's summer. I am putting one on my skidder this weekend so I can't tell you first hand how it works, but I know many jobbers who swear by them. FYI, my cost was about $1,275.00.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

jocco

Quote from: JDeere on January 05, 2012, 08:36:56 PM
FFLM, I struggled with what to do to insure my skidder would start every day when the temps dropped. I talked to every logger I know and from what I can tell, the Espar is the best unit for me. It is a small hydronic heater fueled by either diesel or kerosene and it is mounted in the engine compartment of the skidder. You program it for what days and times you want it to come on. For example, if you plan on arriving at the job at 5:30AM you set it to start at 4:00AM and the skidder starts like it's summer. I am putting one on my skidder this weekend so I can't tell you first hand how it works, but I know many jobbers who swear by them. FYI, my cost was about $1,275.00.
The earlier version of this is what i was refering to that caught fire 1960's :(

madmari

I was amazed at how fast the 2000w heater heated the 3-53. Forty-five minutes and she starts like summer; no ether. We use SAE 30 motor oil year-round, so it defenitly helps to get the block warmed up. We use a small 3500w gasoline generator to run the heaters. The 230 has a block heater (750watt) and that takes about 1.5 hours to really help, but that one starts better even after 45 minutes. That is at -10 F.
   A spit-swapper setup works for some guys. I'm just not wild about starting two skidders every morning that way and swapping coolant around. I make a pot of coffee on the tailgate, make my phone calls, plan the days work and the skidders are ready to go. Have learned to enjoy the start-up time.
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

barbender

All the Ponsse equipment run Espar heaters, I've never heard of one burning down. They do fail to fire up once in the while if you are using the machine's diesel to run it. A buddy just added a separate tank for kerosene, hopefully that takes care of the problem.
Too many irons in the fire

Jamie_C

Quote from: barbender on January 07, 2012, 12:25:51 PM
All the Ponsse equipment run Espar heaters, I've never heard of one burning down. They do fail to fire up once in the while if you are using the machine's diesel to run it. A buddy just added a separate tank for kerosene, hopefully that takes care of the problem.

The boss has one on the Buffalo King and it works great. I just wish he would put on in the Tigercat, takes a long time to warm things up to a safe working temp on the old girl.

jocco

At $1275 I would stay home :D (25 foot heater hose and hand full of couplings $50) For truck heater. All aside fflm with the hoses you can set up all your equipment to start that way and its universal just have your truck ;D One winter was so cold we used to plug the skidder in to the vechile to start it to go home at night!!! :o smiley_devil

jocco

Oh the real trick to those hoses is a smal orfice or valve let it get warm then open her up. One guy did not just used straight 3/4 hose and had cracked heads on everything  fast:(   For me the hoses has been the best most of the time plug in  have a coffee  and presto ;D There are exeptions :-[

lumberjack48

My S8 had a propane tank heater, mounted on the engine.

After work I'd pull the skidder up by the 100# propane tank, hook the gas to the tank heater, turn the gas on an lite it up, a nice little blue flame.
I had a tarp I'd through over the hood to hold heat in and to keep the wind from blowing the heater out.
Next morning pull on the job, walk over to the skidder, reach up an push starter button, running, i used it 16 yrs, i loved it.  :)
Theres nothing worse than fighting a motor in cold weather, dead battires, hands wet from antifreeze, i could go on an on, takes all the fun out of logging.
I know everybody says fire hazard, it can not start a fire if theres nothing to burn. You have keep it clean, no oil on block, no dripping oil from above heated, none of that black dust, ect.

I started using spit swappers 45 yrs ago, there absolutely the cheapest , easiest way to go.
Theres will be days you'll swear at them, a little antifreeze in the face never killed anybody.
I had a pair of those Monkey grip gloves i used to hook up with so my hands stayed dry.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

FFLM

Thanks for the info guys, I finsihed putting new center pins and steering pin in and then put the tank heater as well.  Very glad that I had the help of my best friend as well as use of his garage.  I dont even want to think about trying to do centers and not have a decent level surface to work off from.  I guess for now Ill try the tank heater and see how that works.  I dont really want to haul the generator around but Ill see how it works for a while.  If it gets real cold then I dont think Ill wast my time, Ill stay home and make sure the fire has plenty of wood in it ;D
Thanks FFLM
208 Jack, 372's and F450 Stroker

madmari

I have to agree. When it hits -20, I will have to fold and stay home. Too hard on everything- saws, cables, oil thick as honey and brittle steel. Better, more productive days will come.
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

timbuck2

Along time ago I had a rule. -10 stay home, then I changed it, 0 stay home, older I get higher it goes, past 10 degrees last year!!   Enjoying the mild winter this year, as long as it's cold enough for the softwood to pop limbs.

vt_forest

I use a hot box to heat with and really like it.  Only drawbacks that I can see is that parts for them are expensive and they are a pain to lug to the skidder.  Have used spit swapers in the past and I never had any problems other than getting pickup close to the skidder.  With the hot box I don't have too worry about trucker putting pile of pulp in the way.
Have to agree with all of you about staying home when its really cold  :D

Bobus2003

I have Spit Swappers on my Truck for my Machines, I also have a Stewart Warner "Hot Box" that i can carry out too the machine if it's not sitting in the Landing.. Spit Swappers are by far the Cheapest/Best/Most Efficent way to go IMO

jocco

FFlm One more thing If its a detroit make sure it is racked up properly and the injector timing is set. I have seen then start in very cold weather with minimal (breath of death eather) others would not start at 50 degrees. Also on the engine there is 3 different sets of pistons  (compression ratio) one they had a lot of trouble with period in cold weather. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!