iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slabbing Red Oak

Started by Magicman, October 14, 2014, 10:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I looked at this job last week and quoted "hourly rate".  10 logs and all of them to be slabbed.  The customer wanted live edges. 

The Customer with the first two logs.

Nice rays in those big logs.

I tried something a little different for sliding the cant over to the left so that I could take advantage of the 27" opening between the blade guides.  I raised the toe rollers, slid the cant over, and then lowered the rollers until the cant contacted the "stops" enough to provide some extra resistance.  The heavy cant held very nicely.

She wanted cookies from this and the other piece lying in the background.  She does know that cookies split.

Some "double barreled" cookies.

We did saw twelve 2X8's from the one 18' Pine log. 

Some of the 1, 2, 3, & 4" thick slabs with the cookies.

This Post Oak Burl was watching me.  (Cap for size reference.)

I must have done something right because I got a 50% tip.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

That looks like the definition of a "good day sawing."  Good customers, good logs, good weather, good experience and really good tip$ make it all worthwhile.
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

rufus204

As we all know "the lady gets what the lady wants" :)
Sthil 290 -Sthil MS660 Mag
Husky 450 -Sthil 192TC -Pouland 295
1987 Logging Suzuki Samurai Jack
I was proud owner of two 61 Rancher with short bow until local dope heads stole 'em

sealark37

I have seen a lot of customers that didn't impress a camera like this one.  Too bad you didn't share more.  Thanks, and Regards, Clark

mikeb1079

that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

barbender

Magicman seems to have a knack for getting sawing jobs for the fancy ladies ??? ;D
Too many irons in the fire

fat olde elf

Yes sir, I taught him well....
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

blade69001

When I grow up I want to be able to work like that!
Sean P.
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

Magicman

Hey guys, you 'spose to be looking at them slabs !!   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WmFritz

There were slabs? I'll have to go back and look. ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

ely

wish I had slabs like that at my sawmill... :-X

32vld

Slabs?

What slabs?

Thought this post was about abs.

dboyt

All the other jobs are worth it if you get one like this once in a while.  Nice day's work!  I'll be nice to think about when the water lube is a solid block of ice and there's a foot of snow on the ground (here, anyway).
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Knute

Hope you gave her a little discount to secure future business.

woodweasel

GAmillworker

Nice looking job

They didn't have you cut the burl?
Thank the Lord for second chances

Magicman

I told her to have a turner make a bowl out of it. smiley_idea She has ideas. 

Thank You Sponsors!