iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New house...unknown tree

Started by Eleami, May 04, 2015, 12:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eleami

Hi there,

I recently bought a house and with it came the mystery of what trees are in my yard. I live just outside of Jacksonville, NC, so the Dogwoods, Pines and Bradford Pear trees were easy to identify. Unfortunately, I have one that after extensive searching, still cannot be identified by myself.

I bought the house almost 2 months ago, at which point the tree was already covered in flowers and to this day it still is. The flowers range from burnt orange to bright red. The flowers will fall from the tree in full bloom and as small buds, though they don't wilt once on the ground. Instead they seem to dry up, looking like perfect flowers to place in a bowl for decoration. The ground below it is covered in piles of beautiful orange flowers that never seem to continue falling.  The tree itself is about 12 ft tall.

Any information would be much appreciated! 

SawyerBrown

Don't have a clue what the tree is , but wanted to Welcome you anyway!  Glad you joined us!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Ljohnsaw

Kind of looks like a Camellia bush/tree - by the bark and leaves.  The flowers here are generally white or pink.

Oh, and welcome!  GREAT job on the pictures!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ianab

I agree it's a Camellia. There are various species and cultivars, but they generally have quite nice flowers and do well in a temperate climate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camellia

Although it's from Asia it's a common garden ornamental here in NZ and I have couple of fairly large ones on the back garden.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Eleami.

Here is a picture of a Camellia in our yard.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

symamania

Thank You Sponsors!