iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how many gas cans?

Started by logmason, August 15, 2015, 01:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logmason

I just got back together a poulan micro s25d, I know your all jealous haha.
Was itching to see it fire until the thing takes 16 to 1 or some foggy mix.

Every other 2 stroke I have I run 50 to 1.
Do you guys maintain different gas cans for every different 2 stroke or one fits all?

sawguy21

All my 2 strokes get the same mix, 50:1, regardless of age. When that saw was built 16:1 was the norm with the oil we had at the time, since then mix oil has become much more refined and more concentrated.
My buddy has a mid 50's Johnson that ran fine on 30w motor oil at 16:1 50 years ago. He resurrected it and tried to use modern outboard oil at that ratio, it spewed white goop. He panicked, thought it was leaking grease but it was unburned oil mixed with water. He didn't like it but tried 20:1, same result. Stubborn cuss won't go any leaner. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

One fits all... ethanol free, Stihl oil mix
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

gspren

One can 40-1 ethanol free mid grade. My oldest saw, 041 Stihl is over 30 years old and my newest 261 Stihl at 3 years old both run fine at 40 to 1. Same can also feeds a 044 Stihl at about 20 years old, 2 weed eaters and a leaf blower. Using only one can helps keep it fresher.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Lorenzo

PLEASE   correct me if im wrong here but dosent the oil dictate the ratio not the saw or weed eater or mower ect..

I run the STIHL premix in everything , old new whatever.

When I wasent using that I was using a high quality oil and the recommended ratio on the can.

nitehawk55

40:1 Shell V power ethanol free fuel and Saber oil in all my stuff .
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

HolmenTree

200 ML Stihl Ultra in 8 liters of premium 91 octane non ethonal  gas. Makes my 40:1 mix.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

ZeroJunk

I never really liked 40 to 1 so I run all my stuff 39 to 1. ;D

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

red

Tide laundry detergent bottles
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Oliver1655

Have several saws from the 60's / early 70's which used 16:1 30 wt.  Have used 40:1 in everything for over 40 years without any problems. 
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

4x4American

i use mainly modern saws, and for them i run ethanol free high test at a little richer than 50:1.  i have some older saws, 056mag ii, 045av super, 041, etc, and they get 40:1 when i take them out each blue moon
Boy, back in my day..

HolmenTree

I always wanted to own a 056MagII.
Madsens did a really nice woods port on them before the 064 was introduced in 1986. The 056 was the go to saw at that time in the American PNW.

sablatnic

I have two cans, one with 2% for the serious saws, and one with 6% to make the old stuff smoke just right. 

HolmenTree

When I worked for Stihl in the late '80s my branch manager Steve Meriam had these plastic ID tags made up to tie to the handle of a fuel can. We passed them out to our dealers and their end users.
I still keep them on my fuel cans today.

bandmiller2

Before I retired I was a fire service mechanic. We had several old Homelite 2 cyc. pumps that if I recall said to use 1/2 pint #30 per gallon of gas. I would give the firefighters a handful of plugs when they went out on a pumping job. I finally got fed up and said DanG you your getting 50/1 like everything else. They ran for years and never ran better. I mentioned this before but when no one was looking I would mix Amsoil 100/1`in the straight gas can they kept on the trucks so if they dumped the wrong gas in it would do no harm to the chain and roof saws. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

4x4American

Quote from: HolmenTree on August 17, 2015, 07:09:56 PM
I always wanted to own a 056MagII.
Madsens did a really nice woods port on them before the 064 was introduced in 1986. The 056 was the go to saw at that time in the American PNW.

Every little boy dreams about them far as I know  ;D

Quote from: bandmiller2 on August 18, 2015, 08:43:04 PM
Before I retired I was a fire service mechanic. We had several old Homelite 2 cyc. pumps that if I recall said to use 1/2 pint #30 per gallon of gas. I would give the firefighters a handful of plugs when they went out on a pumping job. I finally got fed up and said DanG you your getting 50/1 like everything else. They ran for years and never ran better. I mentioned this before but when no one was looking I would mix Amsoil 100/1`in the straight gas can they kept on the trucks so if they dumped the wrong gas in it would do no harm to the chain and roof saws. Frank C.

Yup that's a good thing to do.  I know a logger out here who runs 50:1 in all his gas cans.  Any thing that runs on gas gets 50:1.  psi washer, generators, saws, etc.  Cause like he says, if he had any straight gas lying around it would make its way into a powersaw someway or another.  Says that everything runs fine on mix gas. 
Boy, back in my day..

ZeroJunk

I have had a couple of Mag II's and they are a cool saw. But, I would rather operate an 066 and if you actually want to use the saw parts for the Mag II's are getting hard to find while 066 parts will likely be around longer than I am.

bandmiller2

4x4, not only will 2 cyc. mix not hurt 4 cycle engines, they thrive on it. Air cooled engines tend to run hot in the head a little synthetic mix does nothing but good. Frank C.

4x4American

I might switch to the same tactics then...why not?  I can get non-ethanol gas right in town, and have plenty of 2 stroke earl.  Yea..pretty soon my small engines will love me  :D
Boy, back in my day..

John Mc

Quote from: bandmiller2 on August 19, 2015, 07:44:28 AM
4x4, not only will 2 cyc. mix not hurt 4 cycle engines, they thrive on it. Air cooled engines tend to run hot in the head a little synthetic mix does nothing but good. Frank C.

I've always wondered if the 2 cycle mix would hurt the catalytic converter on a car or not. I know it's very diluted by the time I throw a little bit in an 18 gallon tank of auto fuel, but those catalytic converters can be pretty sensitive (for example, it only takes a little bit of Lead to screw them up). Does anyone know if the mix oil hurts an automotive catalytic converter?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Real1shepherd

Quote from: HolmenTree on August 16, 2015, 11:00:56 PM
200 ML Stihl Ultra in 8 liters of premium 91 octane non ethonal  gas. Makes my 40:1 mix.

This ^....perfect answer....except for the metric part...lol. Point being one of the best oil mixes if not THE best and a great, proven working mix ratio.

You get into 16:1 ratios and the like and you get coke from the oil not burning off completely. And coke is even more abrasive than carbon. I've got saws running on 40:1 that have never been touched internally for over 30yrs. And that was on PowerPunch which is considered a 'dated', quasi-synthetic these days.

Kevin

bandmiller2

John, I don't think I would put 2 cyc. mix in anything with a cat converter. Every month I would mix 5 gal. of mix and dump the old mix in older gasoline trucks. When we were all diesel and cat converters, came up with a better solution I would put it in my 50's era Deeres they thought it was ice cream. Frank C.

John Mc

These days, it goes in my riding mower. I never have put it in a car, just not sure, and those catalytic converters are expensive.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Real1shepherd

A car that is burning oil will prematurely kill/plug a cat. And yeah, cats are expensive and so adding in a gas/oil mix to your car is not a good idea. May take a long time to illicit trouble, but oil will plug them.

Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!