iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It's All About Marketing

Started by metalspinner, September 23, 2009, 01:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

I came across this in their catalogue.  If I had a roadside stand selling the stuff I made, could I be successful selling this?

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/rustic-wood-accent-tables/?pkey=k18-5001003&catalogId=18&sku=5001003

That small one comes out to about 8bf.  At their price of $199.99 it works out to $25BF + $10 shipping.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

crtreedude

Wow! You are right, it is all about marketing. I wonder how many yuppies realize all they have to do is go down to the forest with a camp saw and just get themselves one!

Country folk can just rummage in the firewood pile.  :D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Raider Bill

Finally something I can make out of wood! ::)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Brad_S.

"Obtained by experts who search areas of the forest where logs naturally gather"

:D :D :D
And just where in the forest, of all places, would one find such a spot where logs "naturally gather"? ::)
I envision a "Far Side" cartoon illustrating a whack of logs standing around having a cold one when suddenly an "expert" in a plaid shirt carrying a chainsaw steps into the clearing. The momentary silence is broken by the angry growl of the chainsaw starting up! ;D
"Here's your sign."
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

fishpharmer

Brad_S. you beat me to it. ;D ;D

"naturally gather" Who is gonna call and ask what that means?

There's your niche Chris, sell some of the rare pieces that come from places logs "unnaturally gather".

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Den Socling

Don't forget your junk white oak. An architect in New York wanted 12/4 rustic stair treads. He got them.  ;D When I loaded them onto the driver's Toyota, I thought the wheels were going to rub.

fishpharmer

Den those are serious stair treads.  WOW.

Did you vacdry them :D?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Ron Wenrich

I just cut some 5"x20" for a guy to make benches.  We cut them down to 5', and they only weigh about 250 lbs apiece. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Den Socling

Yes I vacuum dried them. The way I got into this is this guy calling and saying he had 12/4 and 16/4 white oak with the core at 20%. He had a week to get them to 10%. OK I can do that. When he got here with those monsters in the back of a minivan, I checked the MC and find lots of water. He said they were air drying since last spring!  ::) So I blasted them with a load of 12/4 cherry for a week and they came out with checks closed and averaging 10%. I never would have guessed. White oak is weird.

Don_Papenburg

They are stollen logs  . the "experts" are theives that visit the log landing at night and select the logs that are easy to load . 
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

ScottAR

Some people will buy anything.... ::)

To be a proper "Far Side" cartoon, the "expert" would have to
wear a pith helmet and carry a butterfly net.  :D
I miss "Far Side".  "Bizarro" just isn't the same.

Those are some awesome stair treads...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on September 23, 2009, 08:30:40 PM
They are stollen logs  . the "experts" are theives that visit the log landing at night and select the logs that are easy to load . 

:D :D :D

That happens a lot. It ain't really funny, but I got a chuckle because of your thinking.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ironwood

Thanks for sharing. Too bad they ship them from Argentina. HIGH embodied energy. SHOOT we can help them wit dat, right boys?

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

crtreedude

I was just noticing how they say these were trees that had fallen from natural causes. Hmmm, perhaps for those who wish something like this, you could sell meat that had died of natural causes.

Road kill anyone?
So, how did I end up here anyway?

timberfaller390

My girlfriend showed me those in the catalog. I nearly sh*t a brick when I saw the price.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

nas

Quote from: crtreedude on November 12, 2009, 01:44:00 PM
I was just noticing how they say these were trees that had fallen from natural causes. Hmmm, perhaps for those who wish something like this, you could sell meat that had died of natural causes.

Road kill anyone?
Road kill ain't a natural cause, maybe mad cow disease?
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Thank You Sponsors!