iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting ready to make some slabs (pictures)

Started by Troy, February 08, 2006, 07:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

Well I opened up one of my big red oak crotch logs this evening with the swing mill.  I'll put on the slabbing unit this weekend and have at it.  Took about an hour just to get the log put into place, lined up and level the hearts.  Once I started cutting I didn't want to stop.  The deeper I got into it the prettier the grain pattern became.  Took a few nice boards off the straight side.  I am a little concerned about the area in the middle not holding up once the slabs are cut and it starts to dry.  It has the appearance of spalting taking place and I'm afraid it might be too weak to hold up as a large slab.  What is exposed now will probably be the bottom of the first slab, so it might get better as I move towards the center of the log.  Any of you folks with experience in this area let me know what you think from the photos.  Anyone willing to come lend some muscle is welcome to come help this weekend too!

Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

Part_Timer

:o :o :o :o :o

That is some nice wood.  How thick are you cutting them?
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Dana

What happened to the above post? I can't seem to get 1/4 of it on the screen and it slips off to the left side? ???
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Minnesota_boy

That's some really beautiful crotch grain.  While it looks very fragile and likely to just fall apart, you have to remember that it was able to keep both tree boles standing for many years through who knows how many storms.  :o 8) 8)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

iain

BINGO 8) 8)

Dana thats couse its a big slab, and wont all fit onscreen at the some time ;)

iain

metalspinner

That is beautiful!  That will make an incredible table top.  A converation piece for sure! What is the width of that lower end?  Looks to be about 50"? 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Troy

Clegaux - I didn't measure the width today, but I think it will be closer to 36" inside the sap wood, which is dead.  The length is six foot.

Part Timer - I'm thinking about cutting 10/4.  Should be able to get two above and two below the pith.  I imagine at least a quarter inch will be lost to leveling and finishing once dry and 9/4 should be stout enough for about a 3' X 6' overall dimention.  I'm looking for suggestions from others with some experience in this area.

Dana - Not sure what's wrong.  I can see all images fine.  I'll go back and look at the layout of the original post.  Anybody else have trouble viewing it?
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

jpgreen

DanG that saw cuts smooth Troy, looks like a table top...  8)

That wood is awesome.. smiley_bounce
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

BBK

Troy, Make sure you use stickers at least one every 12 to 14 inches and keep weight on your stack throughout drying.  The crotch will dry at a different rate than the outside edges. If this happens the board will cup and it cause the crotch to check. Good luck.
I love Farming, Logging, Sawmilling, Fishing, and Hunting.

Dana

Troy, your photo's are all on the screen now. Before everything was posted in a horizontal line, now it is vertical and viewable. :) Glad I checked back nice photos.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Thank You Sponsors!