iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Hauling Small Scale

Started by aniakhenry, March 23, 2008, 08:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aniakhenry

Here are a few pics of my winter log moving operation. Small scale to say the least, but effective. The two bottom logs on the front black sled are 18" at the small end and the third on top is a 15" all 8' and spruce. I can haul 12' but haven't struggled with much longer than that as I would need a longer sled! I also burn about 12 cords a year in my outdoor wood boiler. I just traded (lumber and labor) for a arctic cat bearcat 660 4-stroke. It pulls so much better than my older bearcats do. I can pull out two loads at a time. I pulled about 4000 board feet of trees out in the last 5 days of Spring Break.

Here is one sled of firewood.

Plus, there is a picture of how I move them around the yard in the summer to the mill. It was -20 the other day and still winter here in Alaska. I have a few good weeks of wood hauling, in the evenings after work and then the snow will start to get bad.

Dave Shepard

Thanks for posting the pics. It is amazing how much you can pull with a sled.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mad dog

What  are You using for a tote sled?
mad dog 78 acres,pasqualli tractor,L-15 woodmiser

aniakhenry

The black sled is a sled that I made from a 4' X 10' X3/8" thick UHMW plastic.  I heated the edges and bent them up to form sides and a back.  I then installed a hitch and used bolts to fasten it together.  The red sled was a bought sled, same material, same concept.  You can see the impressive things hauled with UHMW plastic on snow at this website.  http://www.northernsledworks.com/

mad dog

I have a 2004 bearcat 570,mostly have only hauled blocked firewood with it in a jet sled,I'd like tofind a place that sells them 4 x 10 sheets,any suggestions?Thanks

aniakhenry

Yeah, that UHMW plastic is really incredible material.  I bought mine from a plastic outfit in Kent WA.  They are called US Plastics.  It isn't cheap material.  A sheet of 3/8 is pushing $400 but it is virtually indestructible.  You can drop trees on it.  Amazing material and slick!  You have to be very careful standing in it in the snow.  Here is the web link. 

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=73&product%5Fid=10263

My red sled is only 1/4" and that is what northern sled works make theirs from, but I sure like mine that is made from 3/8". 

Good Luck.

mad dog

Thanks, Ainkahenery,this seems like a better idea than using a skidding cone. If you only bent up the front you could  drill a hole in it and run your winch cable through it kinda like it was a skidding cone? Do you use it in the summer too? I'm thinking it hurts :P

aniakhenry

I don't use it in the summer, it would get worn out pretty quick on any gravel, but may last quite a while on grass or vegetation.  Look at the skidding unit made by the northern sled works.  Look at their custom sleds and look at the little cone they made for skidding logs with a 4-wheeler.  Same idea.

Thank You Sponsors!