iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need some info

Started by coxy, June 19, 2015, 11:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

what is the normal price to rent a feller buncher/processer  and a place to rent one in ny    what would be a good size compared to a 501 cat (maybe a little bigger) not the brightest candle in the room when talking about these so if I said it wrong feller buncher/processer ? help me out  ;D

grassfed

A feller buncher and a processor are two different machines. Feller bunchers cut the tree and sets the whole tree in a pile (bunch) with other trees it cuts in an area. A grapple skidder then takes the bunches to the landing where they are processed: limbed bucked and loaded or stacked. This is called whole tree harvesting.

A processor Cuts the tree and processes it near where it was cut. The processor cuts the tree limbs and bucks the tree leaving the logs in piles along the trail. Later a forwarder comes along and  picks up the piles of logs with its knuckle boom and places them its bunk; then it hauls the logs to the landing. This is called a cut to length system or CTL.

If you have a skidder you probably want a feller buncher and they are more common in the north east. If you have a forwarder then a processor is a better option.

The last quote I heard was a guy that would come and run his feller buncher for $1000-$1500 a day. for that price you would get a very experienced operator that would lay down many loads of wood per day. That was a while ago and all prices are subject to various things like how many days/acres work and such.

If you find a place that will rent let me know.

Mike

Thank You Sponsors!