iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Insulated truck box for a kiln??

Started by WoodSmith, November 18, 2004, 10:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodSmith

Anyone have info or care to speculate  ???  as to what it would cost to buy an insulated truck box, for instance like the one that Karl showed in his kiln pics topic (which by the way looks like a great setup and I would be willing to plagiarize) ;D
That seems like it would be a really good way to go, provided the box didn't cost a fortune.
Actually I just had the thought that you could buy the whole truck, take the box off and make a flatbed for hauling lumber.
Maybe if I keep going here I will just have a complete conversation with myself!  :D
hellooo is there any one out thar :-*

WH_Conley

You should be able to get the answer you want that way, I do it all the time.
    I asked a neighbor of mine that drives truck about a reefer trailer, his company has a lot of the, at that time they had sold a bunch for $1500.00 a piece. As I was waiting on a bulldozer I didn't really have a place to put one. Just a quick thought, never really got down to details, take wheels off, cut half the bed off, leaving deck so could load with machine. You would have the level deck for the whole 40 feet, easy for tracks or even just pieces of pipe laid out every 2 feet or so, just give it a push to load. I'm sure there will several better thought out answers.Like I said, just a thought. I guess I will have to get off here now, I keep interupting myself
Bill

Don_Lewis

Make sure it was a refrigerated tuck body and not just insulated. The insulated ones often are not well enough insulated. A shipping container is a better choice. Depending on where you live, they run $2000-4000 but they are much more rugged than a truck body, and lined with stainless steel, fiberglass and/or aluminum. But truck bodies can be used and often are.

rebocardo

When I worked for Ryder Truck Leasing (NOT Ryder car rental), they use to take the reefer bodies off, sell them cheap, and put on dump bodies.

One reason, besides demand for dumps, was reefer bodies after a few years rot out on the aluminum parts and fixing them is expensive just to pretty a truck up for sale. Though they would be in good enough shape for a kiln.

I would say drop by a local Ryder truck (resale) center.

Mike_Doolittle

Hi WoodSmith!
I'm in you back door (Albany) and put in a kiln using an insulated container last spring.  It has it's pos and neg points!  I would need to check and see what I paid but I think it was under $2000.  Feel free to contact me if you would like more thoughts or information.
Mike Doolittle

shopteacher

Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Fla._Deadheader

That's do-RIGHT, Teech. ::) ::) ::) ;D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

shopteacher

Dang  :oyour right FDH. I'm really going down hill fast.  Forgetting my cartoon characters now. The end must be close. :D :D  There is a famous Doolittle though. Wasn't he a flying ace in WWI? ???
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Minnesota_boy

Teech,
You must be thinking Jimmy of the Tokyo raid fame.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Mike_Doolittle

Sorry...not related to any of them!  Guess I need to make a name for myself!

rbarshaw

The famous Doolittle was a Doctor and he could talk to animals :D :D :D
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Mike_Doolittle

The famous Dr Doolittle was good...but he didn't have the initials of MD and he never did talk to or do surgery on logs.  Maybe I am making a name for myself!!!   I know, I know this is real lame but what do you expect after 10:00 at night?
Mike  

Fla._Deadheader

There's NO designated time to make an butt of yerself, around here. :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

WoodSmith

Maybe you should change the name to Doomore!! ;D ;D
Doomore oh Doomore oh do ya remember me..........
name that tune

WoodSmith

Mike_Doolittle,
Forgive the bizzare humor

Sometimes it's not good to be online when it is late in the evening, the mind begins to bend and twist. the brain becomes timber bound!

Thank You Sponsors!