iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quickie Quiz Jackpot # 19

Started by mesquite buckeye, June 18, 2014, 01:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

Once more with feeling. This should be another easy one. Hopefully not quite as easy as the last one. FYI the piece has been finished with polyurethane, so you can see shiny spots especially on the upcoming closeups. Also the pores are filled with goo too.

Anyway, here goes: Clue #1

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

Ouch. dadgum you, Charlie!  It is in focus. It's just all smooth and covered with poly goo..... :-\
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: hackberry jake on June 18, 2014, 04:59:34 PM
I am going to guess elm.

OK... Which one? ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

Here is more help. End grain and vertical (almost) grain

mesquite buckeye

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mesquite buckeye

giant splinter

roll with it

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: giant splinter on June 19, 2014, 01:20:53 AM
Flamed Maple

Naa. Hackberry Jake already nailed it as an elm. Just looking for which one. ;D

dadgum you, Charlie!

giant splinter

Good Job Jake, Get it nailed down
Wonder whats up his sleeve for the next round?, M/B always has something new in the works .......... ya never know what he is up to.
roll with it

Dave Shepard

I've given my WAG, so I won't start going down the list until I get it. ;) But that doesn't mean someone else shouldn't. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

giant splinter

Jake,
Try pre-finished elm, that should be close enough for your win .... go with (almost vertical grained poly-goo finished elm) if that wont get you the win we can all protest his final call.  ;D
roll with it

hackberry jake

My elm vocabulary stops at M...

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

mesquite buckeye

There are, in fact, many kinds. ;D smiley_smug01 ;D dadgum you, Charlie!

mesquite buckeye

Being that it is related to hackberry, I would think you would be more fluent. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

WDH

I do not believe that the elms are distinguishable by the wood structure. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

You are probably right, at least with these gloppy plugged up pictures.

The literature I'm looking at says that American elm Ulmus americana has earlywood pores in a single continuous row. Slippery elm Ulmus rubra has 2-4 rows of earlywood pores which are larger. Wetted heartwood is said to be stinky, which of course you can't see here. Hard elm Ulmus thomasii has a single discontinuous row of alternating large and small pores. Winged elm Ulmus alata Has small and indistinct earlywood pores in an intermittant row.

You can tell them apart, but not with these crummy photos. I will post some unfinished closeups from another piece later.

Anyway, I must reluctantly award final victory to Hackberry Jake.  smiley_clapping smiley_blue_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_blue_bounce smiley_clapping smiley_carpenter_hit_thumb

It is, in fact American elm, Ulmus americana

And no more finished pieces of wood in the Quickie Quiz Jackpot. smiley_swinging_board

hackberry jake

mesquite buckeye

giant splinter

roll with it

WDH

You can tell american elm and wing elm from slippery elm from the inner bark.  I will have to pay more attention to the early wood pores  ;D. 

Thank You Sponsors!