iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sometimes ya just can't win

Started by DanG, March 12, 2006, 02:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigman

Stew, I have never heard of the 6-8-10 rule, but I have heard of the  3-4-5 rule. ;) ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Radar67

Pigman, same thing....just smaller scale.  :D

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

What about the 9-2-5 rule ;D ???
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Radar67

SD, isn't that the one where you hire someone to do it for you? ;)

Stew

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

UNCLEBUCK

I asked my dad the retired cement man about tapes, he said fiberglass is great because its light and use only high quality fiberglass . Steel tapes shrink and grow 3/4 inch per 100 degrees in temperature variation just like concrete and thats why steel tape and concrete go so good together but he said you have to apply 20 pounds pressure on steel tape and that means setting your feet real good to get the 20 pounds. He uses a scale to get the 20 pounds exact pull then he corrects the length with the temperature conversion chart either side of 68 degrees . I said that sounds like a bunch of crap and he said try laying out anchor bolts in 20 below zero temperatures on a 10 million dollar building without these basics
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

DanG

Personally, I'm a fan of the 9-12-15 rule, but these "professional" guys ain't never heard of 8th grade mathematics. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Radar67

I hear ya DanG. There's a lot to be said for book smarts and common sense.  ;) Or should I say the lack of in the later.  ;D

Stew

UNCLEBUCK

UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Radar67

UB,
    I was not making any reference to your post about your dad's explination of tape stretch. My comment was to DanG about the "professionals" that apparently did not know how to use a tape to make measurements to get a layout square.

Stew

beenthere

At ease, UB. :)
They had a conversation going on about DanG's crew, and don't think were commenting about your Pa.

I enjoyed hearing what his answer was on the steel tapes, and how often we don't consider the magnitude of the affect of temperature, especially on big jobs (more than 100 feet)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

UB, ask yer ol' Pappy one more question for me, if ya would.  Is that ¾" variation over a 100' span?  I've wondered about this before, but never had access to anyone who really knew. :P :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Radar67

How's your layout coming DanG?

Stew

DanG

Almost done.  Just gotta pull one more set of strings to outline the porch footer.

Gotta make some calls today to all those guys who have volunteered to help with the pour.  It might be a little tough, since most work during the week and I can't get the concrete on the weekend.

beenthere

DanG
That makes it easy to volunteer for concrete work  :D

They knew they were safe.   :)

Gonna post a pic of your plans?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

Yeah, I'll try to get some pics today and start a new thread tonite.  I ain't fond of the title of this one for my house thread. ::) :D :D :D

BTW, my re-bar was delivered yesterday. :)

Thank You Sponsors!