iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cut a little jag before the snow.

Started by Kwill, January 10, 2019, 05:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kwill

Depends on the auction and what they have. Sometimes i can buy sometimes i cant. They are calling for rain turning to snow and maybe a dusting and wind blowing 40mph. i dont think they know what its going to do. Suppose to be really cold though. Wont get to do much tommorow with the cold. Maybe piddle in the shop.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

TKehl

We only got a skiff of new snow.  Nothing to really mention.  The good news about the cold is the ground froze up good.  Only needed 4x4 to cross the creek.

Pulled this load of ugly wood out Sunday afternoon.  Standing dead Elm that was in the fenceline (ingrown barb wire) and needed cut out anyway.  Branches crumpled up on themselves when it fell, so most of it stayed out of the snow.  The bark was barely hanging on, so what did get in the snow got the bark knocked off.   ;D

Will probably run the trunk trough the sawmill.  It's too big to fit in the door, and I don't split Elm.   >:(   ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Kwill

Thats all we got to. I need to get out and cut a little more. The wind is so bad today though.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

Went down in the woods to !ook around today and found some dead standing red oak. Cut it and hauled it in before we got the rain this evening. Got it all cut up and in the shed.

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

doc henderson

Hey Kwill, that arch looks great, glad you got some wood to stay warm.  Looks like you could have started at the end of that long pole and worked your way up to the arch.  all looks good!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

hedgerow

Quote from: Kwill on January 22, 2019, 07:38:56 PM

Good looking rig. I would hate to think how many old Ford's and Ferguson's tractors years ago I bought repaired and or restored and sold to acreage folks. I just sold a Ford 961 a couple years ago a friend pickup at a auction cheap. 

Kwill

Quote from: doc henderson on January 22, 2019, 07:44:42 PM
Hey Kwill, that arch looks great, glad you got some wood to stay warm.  Looks like you could have started at the end of that long pole and worked your way up to the arch.  all looks good!
Yeah that was a long one. I had one more that was like it. That arch gets used alot. I bring in firewood with it right next to the furnace shed. Cut it up right there and put in the shed
Also bring my cedars to the mill with it. Try to keep everything out of the mud.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

Quote from: hedgerow on January 22, 2019, 07:57:30 PM

Good looking rig. I would hate to think how many old Ford's and Ferguson's tractors years ago I bought repaired and or restored and sold to acreage folks. I just sold a Ford 961 a couple years ago a friend pickup at a auction cheap.
Quote from: hedgerow on January 22, 2019, 07:57:30 PM

I got alot of flack for buying that 8n. Even more for putting a loader on it. They said you wont be able to steer it. Steers just fine. Its been a very handy little tractor. Even more now with the grapple i built. I was on another site that was abouut those old tractors and when i would post about what i wanted they would all say how dumb a idea in was to do that to a 8n. But when i bought that tractor it was what i could afford at the time and dont regret it at all. Id like to have another one without a loader just to put on the arch. Gets a little tight sometimes in the woods.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

doc henderson

I have posted this before.  Nice to keep the wood and chain out of the dirt.  also easier on your back!!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Kwill

Yeah. I cut most of mine while its still on the arch most of the time. Glad i got that wood in yesterday. Got a pretty good rain overnight and its not to warm out today
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

hedgerow

Quote from: Kwill on January 23, 2019, 12:09:50 AM

I got alot of flack for buying that 8n. Even more for putting a loader on it. They said you wont be able to steer it. Steers just fine. Its been a very handy little tractor. Even more now with the grapple i built. I was on another site that was abouut those old tractors and when i would post about what i wanted they would all say how dumb a idea in was to do that to a 8n. But when i bought that tractor it was what i could afford at the time and dont regret it at all. Id like to have another one without a loader just to put on the arch. Gets a little tight sometimes in the woods. Quote Kwill

I was repairing and rebuilding them in the late 70's threw the 90's. Back then there wasn't all of the sub and compact diesels of today. I farmed and worked in town at night doing maintenance lots of people at the plant were building and moving to acreages. They would buy a MTD garden tractor at the farm store and a year later it was worn out and couldn't push snow. Back then I had a couple TO-20's out on the farm I had bought cheap that the rear rims and tires were shot from fluid. Repaired them and threw a quick paint job on. I sold them to a couple truck drivers at the plant that had moved to acreages. They liked them and soon after people were contacting me either looking for a tractor or had 8N that wouldn't run. I had learned to work on these when I was a kid in the 60's as we had a TO-20 and a 9N at a small truck stop my folks had we used them pushing snow and mowing. Back then we ran 8 volt battery's and a heavier starter drive so you could get them started. The next thing I knew the farm yard was full of ford, ferguson tractors and two row equipment. I got to farming too many acres and had too many cows and the next generation was moving to the country and they wanted a nicer tractor and loader and didn't mine payments. I sold out what I had. I still repair a few for friends or friends of friends. I did one this winter for a guy that bought it in 1978 when they moved to the acreage. His wife had bought him a new JD compact for his retirement a few years ago and the old 8N was not running any more. He didn't want to get rid of the tractor and wasn't finding anyone that wanted to repair it. He got to asking around and found me. I had retired from my town job a couple years ago so I have some time in the winter but didn't really want to work on it. I went over and looked at it. It needed a fair amount of work I threw out a number to repair and he didn't even think about it. He said when you have time come pick it up and repair and if you need money up front that's not problem. So I went the 20 miles and hauled it home he didn't own a trailer big enough to haul it. It was a fairly nice tractor was still on 6 volt. Was a late model 8N with side dist and had a all hyd loader with a front pump. So I got it running to see what we had low on compression clutch weak we already knew rear tires and wheels bad. Wow this tractor needs some serious money spent. I called him told him what I had found and what the cost would be to do engine and clutch and he said no problem I want the tractor fixed. So I repaired it and today he loves it and pretty much has parked the JD.    

Kwill

The big tree in the pic is dead and I'm trying to figure out how I can get it out. Not gonna be easy.

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

doc henderson

long rope or chain, if roots are rotted not too hard.  pull over from a long distance.

upnut

Just like the Johnny Cash song...."I got it one piece at a time...." Use the winch on your arch and a snatch block for those hard to reach places. Have fun and be safe, Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Kwill

That one was a little more work for another day. I found another one even bigger that I don't have enough saw to cut. Ended up getting this one out that was easier to get to. Had to cut the black Jack in the trailer down so this one would fall. Cut the blackjack first.

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Magicman

I don't envy you burning that Black Jack.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kwill

Quote from: Magicman on January 25, 2019, 07:57:59 PM
I don't envy you burning that Black Jack.  :-X
Good stuff magicman. Pits off lots of heat. You definatly dont load the stove full of it 8)
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

Cutting some green wood for next year. This ole post oak hung up on me. Hooked the chain and 8n on it and got it down.

I have to get in some tight spots sometimes to get the arch over the logs.

All load up and heading to the house 8)
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

TKehl

Quote from: Kwill on January 25, 2019, 03:46:47 PM
The big tree in the pic is dead and I'm trying to figure out how I can get it out. Not gonna be easy.

I believe I'd wait a couple more years for it to drop those upper branches.  They won't degrade much from it.  Otherwise those little trees around it could easily act as spring poles and throw a curve ball branch at you.  

Even after the limbs drop, I think I'd still hustle out.  Closest call I've had was an EASY Oak snag with a LEAN and NO limbs.  Decided to watch it fall at the stump like a BOSS.  Then I watched it break in half on a small limb of a neighbor tree with the top coming back at me.  :o  Never again!  Talk about humbling!

Otherwise weakening it with few cuts and winching it while hiding behind something big would be option two.  
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Kwill

Im not to worried about cutting it. Its just down a hill anf i dont think my tractor will easily get it out of there. I built a arch for my 4 wheeler im going to take in there and gwwt it out with. Ive had trees break before to and its not a fun deal.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

thecfarm

Nice job you are doing. I betcha you reallly can't tell you have even been in the woods.
Looks like you have some nice ground to work on.
If I took a picture like that on my land,there would be at least one big rock,or a sharp knoll or a wet hole,sometimes all in one picture. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kwill

Gotta love it when the fall like this 8)

Dont really want to admit how i got as much cut off as i did. :)

arching it out

Backed up to the shed and cut it up then spilt and put it in the shed. Working on next years wood.

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

Cutting next years wood and trting to get the shed full

Brought this in yesterday 

Got it split this morning

All split and in the shed. Got about one row and 3\4 of a row to go and if will be full.

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Thank You Sponsors!