TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: hardwood tree spacing  (Read 1207 times)

Offline nsherve

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
hardwood tree spacing
« on: March 15, 2018, 01:15:21 AM »
I have to clear a lot of pine in order to clean up some non native, very invasive growth. After doing so, I plan to replant hardwood (white/red oak, black walnut, black locust, hickory, etc.). What kind of spacing should I consider for more upright, tall, knot free growth?
Thanks, in advance, for any response.
Nate

Offline SwampDonkey

• Board Moderator
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
Re: hardwood tree spacing
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 03:53:07 AM »
Have you got a lot of deer? Ideally I would begin the spacing 6' with plans to thin later as the trees develop. You want the crown to fill in as fast as possible so the lower limbs begin to die back and thin before they develop narrow crowns. But you want to be able to see in under for a ways after the limbs prune up. Then plan on thinning soon to release at least 3 sides of the crown. I planted a grove of yellow birch in 2002 and now the limbs are beginning to prune up nice and the stems are not skinny for the tree heights. You don't want tall skinny stems with small crown on top. They can bend down easy after thinning and ruin the tree. :)

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline nsherve

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 10:31:19 AM »
Yea, there are a lot of deer...I live in west central Alabama with the nearest town approx 15 mi away.

Offline forgeblast

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 09:48:20 AM »
I would use 5' tubex tubes and put them on a 15x15 spacing thats what we used for our Conservation planting.  

Offline gump

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 10:00:16 AM »

I have about 50 acres of this young yellow birch stand to thin. I plan on doing the Precommercial thinning in two stages. The initial stage is a quick walkthrough with the spacing saw where the suppressed tiny stems will be slashed down where not much thought is involved in tree selection. This does two things, opens up the crowns allowing the crop tree crowns to expand and hopefully minimizes epicormic branching. Species I plan to save are Sugar Maple, Yellow Birch then Red maple and red spruce. This initial spacing ends up being between 4-6 feet.
The second walkthrough will involve a little more of a thought process when tree selection will be more important. I also plan on extracting a bit of small diameter firewood during the second thinning.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Board Moderator
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 10:18:20 AM »
That's what I do to, and did over 50 acres on mixed growth on my own land. I am about to do the second thinnings for firewood.  Anything will burn. Besides that, I usually thin between 70-100 acres a year on other land, but not all in hardwoods. Be cautious thinning yellow birch that has been left to grow more than 9 m. The stems can 'collapse' with the crown ending up touching the ground. Never seem to have much trouble with yellow birch suckering after a thinning as long as the stand is around 6m tall.

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Tree Spacing Problem

Started by Mallguy on Forestry and Logging

6 Replies
Last post March 24, 2004, 09:03:34 PM
by UNCLEBUCK
xx
Christmas Tree Spacing

Started by mhasel on Ask The Forester

11 Replies
Last post April 01, 2004, 05:21:01 AM
by SwampDonkey
xx
fruit tree spacing requirements

Started by Banjo picker on Ask The Forester

7 Replies
Last post February 15, 2009, 08:13:00 PM
by Banjo picker
xx
New Tree Spacing? White Pine Saplings

Started by semologger on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

7 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 07:01:26 PM
by SwampDonkey