iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 359, easy mods?

Started by gman98, April 07, 2018, 10:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman98

Hello guys.  Hope you are all having a decent mud season.  I just picked up a nice used husqvarna 359 e-tech for a song.  Runs like a top.  I know it's an older saw compared to the 562/362's I'm used to.  I was wondering if you guys have any good easy modifications for the 359 to bring it up to par a bit better with the newer 60cc screamers?

Thanks
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

mike_belben

Muffler mod, retune, good sharp chain. 
Praise The Lord

celliott

Gman, you have the right saw for easy gains. The 359\2159 is one of my favorite to tinker on.
First off, ditch the catalytic muffler. I've tried gutting them and it's a pain in the butt. Easier to get a non cat, and definitely dual port it.
Secondly, the cylinder has removable transfer port covers. The gaskets never come off whole, you'll need a sealant, and without the gaskets, the screws need to be shortened up a little. I wouldn't go any further than smoothing all the ports up, maybe enlarge them a bit. Be careful not to leave any burrs.

This is probably the biggest gain you can get with a 359. The cylinder has a built in restriction. With the jug off, match the base gasket up to the base of the cylinder and you'll see exactly what I mean. There is a wall restricting flow to the transfer ports. Smooth it out, and match it up to the gasket but be careful not to go too far.

You could also do a base gasket delete, measure the squish first to be sure you have clearance enough. I've done it on 359's and it really bumps the compression up.

Also be sure to take a look at the intake boot clamp- if it's the plastic style, it needs to get changed for the metal ring or a hose clamp, the plastic ones are notorious for leaking and burning saws up.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

celliott

Here's the restriction I was talking about. Match it up to the gasket, smooth that sharp edge and blend it in.

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

mike_belben

^good info.

I handle case mismatch like so on crankcase saws.  

I bellmouth all inlets as much as i can

Lay upper transfers back away from exh port

I also epoxy wasted space cavities to raise base compression ratio.

And sometimes get fiesty with the tig

Praise The Lord

gman98

Thanks for the responses guys.  I've got a non-cat muffler on the way as well as a metal intake clip.  The cylinder mods spook me a bit.  Going to have to try it on a few junker saws before I do it to a good saw.  What are you guys running for bar and chain combos?  I run 20" .058 73LGX's on my 562 Husky.  Will the 359 be lacking to pull a bigger combo like that in softwood (spruce, fir, pine) and aspen?

Thanks
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

mike_belben

On a hotrodded 60cc saw i run between a 20 and 24 full chisel in oak

Praise The Lord

Maine372

I have a 357 that's been woods ported (by someone else) and I run a 20in 3/8 full comp and a 7pin sprocket. by comparison I run the same b/c with an 8pin sprocket on my stock 372.

currently on the bench is a 359 I'm going to try my hand on. this will be the first time ive tweaked the internals of any motor. it will probably only ever carry an 18in b/c as I know I wont get as much out of it as the experienced hand that built my 357.

celliott

Honestly I'm no saw porting expert. I did the 359 I have with flat files and old chainsaw files :D

If you leave the transfer port covers alone and just match up the base of the cylinder, it's easy. Serious. You'll nearly have the cylinder pulled to change the intake boot clamp, might as well pull it off and grind on it a bit. Just rinse really well and blow out with air, and reinstall with a gasket.

Or if nothing else dual port the muffler and retune the carb. That'll wake it up.

I use 16" 3/8 or 18" 3/8 on my 60cc saws. The 16" makes limbing softwood fast. But it'll definitely pull a 20" just fine.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

ehp

the 359 is a very good saw to work on, one of the best 60cc saws to do . I will take a new 359 over a new 357 any day of the week, I can make the 359 just flat out haul . The amount of torque that motor came make is unbelievable . No stock 372 is even close

MikeColes

Quote from: celliott on April 07, 2018, 02:20:54 PM
Gman, you have the right saw for easy gains. The 359\2159 is one of my favorite to tinker on.
First off, ditch the catalytic muffler. I've tried gutting them and it's a pain in the butt. Easier to get a non cat, and definitely dual port it.
Secondly, the cylinder has removable transfer port covers. The gaskets never come off whole, you'll need a sealant, and without the gaskets, the screws need to be shortened up a little. I wouldn't go any further than smoothing all the ports up, maybe enlarge them a bit. Be careful not to leave any burrs.

This is probably the biggest gain you can get with a 359. The cylinder has a built in restriction. With the jug off, match the base gasket up to the base of the cylinder and you'll see exactly what I mean. There is a wall restricting flow to the transfer ports. Smooth it out, and match it up to the gasket but be careful not to go too far.

You could also do a base gasket delete, measure the squish first to be sure you have clearance enough. I've done it on 359's and it really bumps the compression up.

Also be sure to take a look at the intake boot clamp- if it's the plastic style, it needs to get changed for the metal ring or a hose clamp, the plastic ones are notorious for leaking and burning saws up.
Hi Celliot thanks for your log, very interesting. Any recommendation on Where would I get a non cat muffler for my 359 ? Also re the dual porting is that on the intake and how's that done. I'm a relative newbie but had a 359 for a decade and love the saw but could do with a bit more grunt. 

Thank You Sponsors!