iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fan drying white oak

Started by Southside, April 10, 2018, 09:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

I have around 500 bft of fresh white oak that will need to go through the kiln, but it has to wait it's turn right now.  Am I OK to put that under tin and put the fans to it to help with the drying for the couple of weeks it will be waiting?  Will it be a big benefit to have the fans on it or is the gain minimal?  Until now I have only ever open air dried my lumber.

Thanks
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

White oak has a very low acceptable moisture loss rate. Even 4/4 green white oak will most likely check if air dried with fans.
I would not recommend using fans with white oak.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Ok - I won't do that then.  Would you seal the ends?
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

Definately, as soon as it's bucked or pack sawn or end trimmed.  For high grade white oak, I like two coats.  For low grade, one will do.  ::)
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

Drying wood can be challenging. Drying white oak is challenging challenging. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

I am quickly realizing how much simpler it was when I just stickered the stuff up and forgot about it for the better part of a year....
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Exactly.  The goal is to get a whack of wood air drying so that you can get ahead of the curve and keep the kiln running drying air dried wood.  That makes everything so much simpler.  It is much harder to mess anything up.  Also, it does not make economic or practical sense to take 35 days to kiln dry green oak when you can kiln dry 4 loads of air dried oak in the same time.  Relying on Mother Nature to remove the bulk of the water makes sense as long as you do a good job of planning ahead. 

I do kiln dry pine from green occasionally, but that can be done in about 8 days, so that is not too bad. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

btulloh

I've stickered white oak and covered with a tin roof in the summertime and it dried a little too fast.  I have to put in a shady spot and limit air flow or I get some surface checking.  Just my experience.
HM126

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Shade-Dri on one edge and both ends of a stack will do wonders for slowing drying.  Basically, it is plastic burlap.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!